    the basic network setup is) or to the newly installed one in my home office.

    Any suggestions that might help me work this out?

    Thanks!
    Peter C. Bogert, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Peter C. Bogert

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    It is a hard to help you since you do not actually describe your setting.
    You mention two printers and that you have one Wireless printer server.
    (Hard to know what in you living room without living there).

    Assuming that your Wireless Printer Server is working directly with a
    Wireless cable/DSL Router and that you manage to print from one computer.
    I.e. it seems that printer is talking correctly to the Router.

    Under such a situation every computer on the Network should be able to
    access the Network printer provide you installed the original printer
    drivers on each computer, and before printing you choose to use the Network
    Printer from the available printers list.

    P.S. If you have software Firewalls make sure that do not block any of the
    Network private IPs.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Peter C. Bogert" <> wrote in message
    > I have three computers linked in a home network. Two are wired and one,

    my
    > laptop, works great off of a wirless connection.
    >
    > I would like the convenience of being able to place a printer in a

    different
    > location from my laptop, though in the same room. I purchased a D-Link
    > DS-G310 print server and tried to set that up last night, but was having
    > problems:
    >
    > 1. The instructions tell you to set up one of the wired computers with an
    > ip address within the same range as the printer server. When I changed

    that
    > to the recommended setting (instead of using find ip address

    automatically),
    > I lost my internet connection.
    > 2. I set up the machine to find ip address automatically, followed the
    > instructions that came with the print server, installed the printer driver
    > for my target home office printer, and was able to print a test page.
    > 3. I next went to my laptop and tried to install the printer there and

    had
    > no success. I could neither print to the printer in our living room

    (where

    Jack, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Let me give a bit more info.

    Computer 1 is a desktop, and is connected via ethernet cable to a D-link
    router. That router is also connected to our cable modem.
    Computer 2 is a laptop, and I connect to the network through a wireless
    pcmcia card.

    I bought a D-link wireless printer server and put it in the room where
    Computer 2 is. Since I had run an ethernet cable to that room, I have that
    connected via the ethernet cable, and have an HP 5150 plugged in to the USB
    port on the printer server.

    I've installed the printer driver on both machines, hooking it up according
    to the directions that came with the printer server. They indicated that
    the printer server must be set up on a computer that is wired to the
    network. The only exception I made to the instructions was that they
    specified that I needed to assign an IP address to the computer, and when I
    did that, I lost my internet connection. So I used the obtain an IP address
    automatically. Otherwise I followed the instructions. I installed the
    printer driver on both machines, creating a TCP/IP port on each as specified
    in the instructions.

    A. Computer 1 can print to the 5150 in the other room, but Computer 2 can
    not.
    B. I can log on to the printer server from Computer 1, but cannot from
    Computer 2. The IP address for the printer server is default at
    198.128.0.10.

    Hopefully that will make my setup a little more clear. Oh yes - both are
    running XP.

    Peter C. Bogert, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Peter C. Bogert

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Unfortunatly I do not have the time to read the D-Link manual..
    However let me try a long shot.
    When D-Link (or any other manufacture) sell you a network product that need
    to be configured the product has a Default IP. Let say that it is
    198.163.1.100. If your Network happened to be on a 192.163.0.x band you can
    not access the device for configuration because of mismatched IP scheme.
    Under such a situation you have to connect the device to a computer that is
    configured to 192.168.1.x and then change the device default's IP to be on
    the same band as the rest of your Network. Once this done you have to put
    back your computer configuration to match again you original IP scheme, and
    the printer server has to be connected through the Router to the Network.
    The Printer server would not act as a Network Printer if it is plugged to a
    computer. Any further configuration of the printer server can be done by
    either computer through the server's web interface using I.E.

    Check the IPs of all your Network devices and make sure that they all are
    configured to the same band.

    Jack, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Jack - I'll check that out. Thanks!

    Peter C. Bogert, Jan 16, 2005
  6. I do not believe you can have the printer hooked up to the desktop via USB
    abd a wireless print server via Ethernet. Can You?

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 16, 2005
  7. The printer is connected via USB to the printer server.

    Peter C. Bogert, Jan 16, 2005