Setting up ones own DNS server....HELP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by whoisthis, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    OK the adsl service sucks and so do Xtras DNS servers which way too
    often can not even find their own mail servers.

    As for the 2Mbit ADSL, well at times I have found the 56K modem more
    reliable and faster. I get micro-outages lasting minutes at times and I
    regularly get MSN messenger timing out because of Xtras DNS/network
    issues.

    It seems to me Telecon are selling a service they can not actually
    supply, or simply refuse to supply.

    So, how does one set up a caching DNS with BIND8, and while we are at it
    how does one set up a mail server using either sendmail or postfix.

    I am running Macs with OSX and can set up an old G3 or G4 as a server if
    needed.

    Cheers

    whoisthis, Dec 5, 2004

  2. whoisthis

    thing Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > OK the adsl service sucks and so do Xtras DNS servers which way too
    > often can not even find their own mail servers.
    >
    > As for the 2Mbit ADSL, well at times I have found the 56K modem more
    > reliable and faster. I get micro-outages lasting minutes at times and I
    > regularly get MSN messenger timing out because of Xtras DNS/network
    > issues.
    >
    > It seems to me Telecon are selling a service they can not actually
    > supply, or simply refuse to supply.
    >
    > So, how does one set up a caching DNS with BIND8, and while we are at it
    > how does one set up a mail server using either sendmail or postfix.
    >
    > I am running Macs with OSX and can set up an old G3 or G4 as a server if
    > needed.
    >

    > Cheers

    You should be able to get bind9, it is newer. Sendmail or postfix are
    almost certainly available, go to freshmeat.net and put in key words and
    search under OSx, you should turn up a few goodies.

    The otehr alternative if short of free software is Linux PPC whicg will
    run in a G3~G4.

    regards

    thing

    thing, Dec 5, 2004

  3. whoisthis

    Mark S Guest

    Much as I despise Telecoms broadband efforts I've had absolutely no issues
    with the new 2Mb service.

    I'd suggest you
    - change your DNS server (there are others you know)
    - make sure you usage is not causing you to be speed limited back
    - check your DSL modem/router, it may be fautly, or in the case of a
    cheaper brand might not be coping

    Mark S, Dec 5, 2004
  4. whoisthis

    Enkidu Guest

    I'd second that. ADSL is pretty stable using my DSL504. I'd steer
    clear of the $99 internal ADSL modems. I'd steer clear of *any*
    internal ADSL modem. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
    great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster

    Enkidu, Dec 5, 2004
  5. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <41b375a6$0$347$>,
    "Mark S" <> wrote:

    > Much as I despise Telecoms broadband efforts I've had absolutely no issues
    > with the new 2Mb service.
    >
    > I'd suggest you
    > - change your DNS server (there are others you know)
    > - make sure you usage is not causing you to be speed limited back
    > - check your DSL modem/router, it may be fautly, or in the case of a
    > cheaper brand might not be coping

    Linksys WRG54G.
    and well below the 10G limit.

    whoisthis, Dec 6, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    >Linksys WRG54G.

    Do you mean the WRT54G? The one running Linux?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 7, 2004
  7. whoisthis

    Joy Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > OK the adsl service sucks and so do Xtras DNS servers which way too
    > often can not even find their own mail servers.
    >
    > As for the 2Mbit ADSL, well at times I have found the 56K modem more
    > reliable and faster. I get micro-outages lasting minutes at times and I
    > regularly get MSN messenger timing out because of Xtras DNS/network
    > issues.
    >
    > It seems to me Telecon are selling a service they can not actually
    > supply, or simply refuse to supply.
    >
    > So, how does one set up a caching DNS with BIND8, and while we are at it
    > how does one set up a mail server using either sendmail or postfix.
    >
    > I am running Macs with OSX and can set up an old G3 or G4 as a server if
    > needed.

    Are you wireless or not. If not, noise can cause slowdowns and outages I'm
    told. Is this true? No cables near fridges and microwaves.
    Joy

    Joy, Dec 7, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    >So, how does one set up a caching DNS with BIND8, and while we are at it
    >how does one set up a mail server using either sendmail or postfix.

    I've done a lot of both BIND and Postfix configuration. (Sendmail too,
    but let's not get into that...). Whereabouts are you?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 7, 2004
  9. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > whoisthis <> wrote:
    >
    > >So, how does one set up a caching DNS with BIND8, and while we are at it
    > >how does one set up a mail server using either sendmail or postfix.

    > I've done a lot of both BIND and Postfix configuration. (Sendmail too,
    > but let's not get into that...). Whereabouts are you?

    palmerston north

    whoisthis, Dec 7, 2004
  10. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>, "Joy" <>
    wrote:

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > > OK the adsl service sucks and so do Xtras DNS servers which way too
    > > often can not even find their own mail servers.
    > >
    > > As for the 2Mbit ADSL, well at times I have found the 56K modem more
    > > reliable and faster. I get micro-outages lasting minutes at times and I
    > > regularly get MSN messenger timing out because of Xtras DNS/network
    > > issues.
    > >
    > > It seems to me Telecon are selling a service they can not actually
    > > supply, or simply refuse to supply.
    > >
    > > So, how does one set up a caching DNS with BIND8, and while we are at it
    > > how does one set up a mail server using either sendmail or postfix.
    > >
    > > I am running Macs with OSX and can set up an old G3 or G4 as a server if
    > > needed.

    > Are you wireless or not. If not, noise can cause slowdowns and outages I'm
    > told. Is this true? No cables near fridges and microwaves.
    > Joy

    The wireless if fine, I can still transfer files between my machines at
    a good speed.

    whoisthis, Dec 7, 2004
  11. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > whoisthis <> wrote:
    >
    > >Linksys WRG54G.

    > Do you mean the WRT54G? The one running Linux?

    NO.Definitely wag54g

    whoisthis, Dec 7, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> whoisthis <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >So, how does one set up a caching DNS with BIND8, and while we are at it
    >> >how does one set up a mail server using either sendmail or postfix.

    >> I've done a lot of both BIND and Postfix configuration. (Sendmail too,
    >> but let's not get into that...). Whereabouts are you?

    >palmerston north

    I'm in Hamilton, but we can take this to private e-mail if you want. I'm
    available for consulting.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 9, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> whoisthis <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Linksys WRG54G.

    >> Do you mean the WRT54G? The one running Linux?

    >NO.Definitely wag54g

    But you said WRG54G above, and the Hamming distance is exactly the same.
    :)

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 9, 2004