    every time I start my lab. Without dedicating an eth port for NTP.

    Thanks
    , Dec 3, 2006

  2. Merv Guest

    you could see if one of the routers or switches will behave as NTP
    master in a backup role.

    Determine the NTP of the pc and then configure the stratunm on the
    router to be 1 less

    ntp server <IP address of PC> ! assuming stratumn of 4 on PC
    ntp master 6 ! this oruter will become NTP
    master if there is no connectivity to PC
    Merv, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Merv Guest

    also see if router or switch in question supports command

    ntp update calendar
    Merv, Dec 4, 2006
  4. Guest

    Merv wrote:
    > also see if router or switch in question supports command
    >
    > ntp update calendar

    Still I would have to dedicate a port on each router for connectivity
    to the master. And this is what I don't want to do. I would like to
    sync up the routers to a time source {PC or router master} with a
    logical loopback interface. That way I don't lose a physical port to
    maintain it.
    , Dec 4, 2006
  5. Merv Guest

    Are the devices in your lab not interconnected ? will they not have IP
    connectivity ?

    NTP does not require dedicated interfaces - it simply transmits UDP
    traffic using UDP port 123
    Merv, Dec 4, 2006
  6. James Guest

    If you enable ntp on your router, it automatically becomes a ntp
    time-server.

    Regards

    James, Dec 17, 2006