    And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
    Server"

    What am I doing wrong?

    JohnB, Jan 22, 2009

  2. JohnB

    - Bobb - Guest

    Big Picture is
    SOME server has to be your HOST.
    Sometimes you need to specify username/password etc.
    It MIGHT be your ISP, but maybe not supported ??

    What info is in the SERVER field ?
    If it shows in OE then right-click on server -properties
    If not,

    Tools- Accounts - news tab - highlight server - properties.

    Browse sites like:
    http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/faqs/

    for How to newsgroup setup
    and check your ISP homepage for specifics

    - Bobb -, Jan 22, 2009

  3. "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    > How would I setup this newsgroup, in OE?
    >
    > I already use Microsoft newsgroups in OE, and that works fine. But
    > when I try to add a usenet group I get an error.
    >
    > As the server, in Account setup, for this group, I've tried:
    > news.alt.com
    > news.computer.com
    > news.alt.computer.com
    > And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
    > Server"
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Asking the question badly.

    I'm confused. The groups you listed are not servers.

    You said that you already use MSoft groups, that tellsl me that you already
    have the news server setup properly, or at least set up. Now, you simply
    select teh Newssroups button on the Toolbar and select the additional groups
    you want to participate in.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 22, 2009
  4. JohnB

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    >> How would I setup this newsgroup, in OE?
    >>
    >> I already use Microsoft newsgroups in OE, and that works fine. But
    >> when I try to add a usenet group I get an error.
    >>
    >> As the server, in Account setup, for this group, I've tried:
    >> news.alt.com
    >> news.computer.com
    >> news.alt.computer.com
    >> And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
    >> Server"
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > You said that you already use MSoft groups, that tellsl me that you
    > already have the news server setup properly, or at least set up. Now, you
    > simply select teh Newssroups button on the Toolbar and select the
    > additional groups you want to participate in.

    Jeff,
    Mine is setup as his is:

    Microsoft appears as its own group - with its own server
    'msnews.microsoft.com'. So, in my OE,Microsoft has its own
    folder/subfolders.

    For THIS group and anything BUT MSFT, I have to have other newsreader
    servers.

    - Bobb -, Jan 22, 2009
  5. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    >>> How would I setup this newsgroup, in OE?
    >>>
    >>> I already use Microsoft newsgroups in OE, and that works fine. But
    >>> when I try to add a usenet group I get an error.
    >>>
    >>> As the server, in Account setup, for this group, I've tried:
    >>> news.alt.com
    >>> news.computer.com
    >>> news.alt.computer.com
    >>> And in every case I get a message saying "Unable to Connect to the
    >>> Server"
    >>>
    >>> What am I doing wrong?

    >> You said that you already use MSoft groups, that tellsl me that you
    >> already have the news server setup properly, or at least set up. Now, you
    >> simply select teh Newssroups button on the Toolbar and select the
    >> additional groups you want to participate in.

    > Jeff,
    > Mine is setup as his is:
    >
    > Microsoft appears as its own group - with its own server
    > 'msnews.microsoft.com'. So, in my OE,Microsoft has its own
    > folder/subfolders.

    Oh! I get it. The MSoft server won't list the other thousands of groups that
    he is trying to get to. I didn't know that MSoft even hosted a server.

    Sorry for butting in ...

    The OP (original poster, for the new guy) might want to look to Motzarella
    for News Service. It's free, and hosts thousands of groups. It discourages
    cross posting though -- which is a good thing -- by limiting the poster to
    four groups at a time.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 22, 2009