setting up new PC for dual boot

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by RJAlias, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. RJAlias

    RJAlias Guest

    Senario 1:

    I have a new PC, meaning the hard drive isn't partitioned yet

    I want to install copies of XP and Win2000 so I can dual boot.

    The objective is to use this machine as a study / test tool to prepare for
    the A+ exam.

    I don't intend to hook up this machine to my ISP, although I might if anyone
    can give me a good reason. I'd have to spend money for an additional NIC
    card and cable to reach my router.

    Eventually I will rip it all down and reinstall just XP for home use so I
    probably don't want to officially activate the XP during this test period.
    I know I have 30 days to play as long as I don't mind the reminders.

    Will someone kindly either give me a list of the steps or refer me to a on
    line source where I can get a straight-up list of the steps. I don't need
    the details in each step, I'm sure I can work those out, just the high level
    steps.

    Senario 2:

    The same objective but starting with a partitioned and formatted hard drive
    with Win98 installed.

    Thanks in advance.

    RJ

    for e-mail reply remove "hide" from address
    RJAlias, Oct 25, 2003

  2. RJAlias

    Jerry Guest

    Install your copy of 2000 and then install your copy of XP. XP should let
    you select dual boot option.

    Jerry, Oct 25, 2003

  3. RJAlias

    RJAlias Guest

    I'm guessing that I need to partition only half of the drive when I install
    the 2000, right?

    Then when I go to install XP how do I "aim" it at the blank half of the
    drive?

    TIA

    RJAlias, Oct 25, 2003
  4. RJAlias

    Jerry Guest

    All you have to have is one partion XP will just put a boot loader on and
    then you can choose the operating system youwant at start up

    Jerry, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Install 2000 first (on C:, typically), and when you go to install XP you
    will get dual boot automatically simply by installing it on a different
    partition (D:, typically).

    It's VERY easy to do this, it will happen "by iteself" if you just
    install 2000 first on the 1st partition and then xp 2nd on the 2nd
    partition.

    [It would work equally well, and identically, for 98 and XP, which makes
    a lot more sense.]

    Barry Watzman, Oct 25, 2003