Setting up mulitboot with Ultimate 32- & 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by pk, Dec 25, 2007.

  1. pk

    pk Guest

    Can I install a multiboot set-up with Vista Ultimate-32 and Ultimate-64? As
    Vista Ultimate is on the same machine but different partitions I can not use
    both versions at the same time so therefore can I not use the same product
    key for both installs? FYI, I purchased the full version and not the upgrade
    version.

    I have followed the instructions for "Install more that one operating system
    (multiboot)" in Windows Help and Support. Ater installing Ultimate-32 I ran
    Windows Update and then installed Norton and all my other programs and
    related documents. After a fresh reboot running Ult-32 I placed the Ult-64
    DVD in the drive, double-clicked on the drive and received the following
    error message:

    Windows Setup
    Setup can not run on this version of the Operating System. To install
    Windows please try booting from the install media.

    Background:
    Originally purchased and installed Ult-64 so I could gain access to more
    installed RAM for video editing. But after loading all my software and data
    found that I could not install Media Center as Ult-64 could not "find" my
    tuner. After spending hours searching as well as speaking with HP customer
    service it was determined that there were no 64-bit drivers for my tuner card
    (ViXS PureTV-U 48B0) so if I wanted to use Media Center I could only use
    Ult-32. They suggested that I might want to try a multiboot and install
    Ult-64 on a separate partition and then boot with Ult-64 when I want to edit
    and use Ult-32 the rest of the time.

    As I will only use Ultimate-64 for video editing occasionally, this sounded
    like a reasonable suggestion but have not been able to install Ult-64.

    Your help and advice is appreciated!
    pk, Dec 25, 2007

  2. You have to boot off of the 64bit DVD and install on a separate partition.
    You can't run the install from inside 32-bit Windows.

    Oh, and to be clear. You have a copy of Windows Vista. One copy. That can be
    installed as 32-bit or as 64-bit. But not both. You can't use the same copy
    to dual boot. I happen to think that isn't right, but I didn't write the
    EULA.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 25, 2007

  3. The error message just means you installed in the wrong order if what you
    wanted to do was install the second from the desktop of the first. Vista
    x64 Setup is a 64-bit program and will not run on Vista x86. If you install
    the x86 version first you will have to boot with the x64 dvd as Charlie
    says. The reverse is not true however. If you install x64 first you can
    then install x86 from the x64 desktop because a 32-bit program does run on
    x64. If you wish to maintain drive assignment consistency across both
    platforms try it this way. If you don't care, then boot with each dvd. I
    name my drives descriptively anyway so I don't care, but some folks do.

    If you have a retail copy of Vista Ultimate then you have one product key.
    The End User License Agreement specifically states that even though both x86
    and x64 versions are provided you may only install and use one or the other.
    To do what you are planning requires two product keys. All Windows retail
    EULA's state that you may only install and use one copy of the software. It
    has nothing to do with whether or not you can only run one copy at a time.

    With a retail product key you may transfer the software to a new computer as
    long as you delete it from the first.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 25, 2007
  4. I actually prefer it this way - my "C:" drive is always the OS. I stick my
    data drive out at E: on the first OS, then let the partition that will be
    the second OS be D: Now, when I install the second OS, I have the same
    assignments - C: is the OS, D: is the other OS, and data is on E:

    Since you should NOT try to share a programs drive, this makes sense for
    simplicity.If you're going to dual boot, it's a good idea to use larger
    partitions for the OSs than you might otherwise, since you should keep
    programs installed on the same drive as the OS they're for to avoid issues.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 25, 2007