    and appropriate wireless NIC cards for his laptop and desktop machines. I
    welcome recommendations on brands to buy as well as brands to avoid and also
    on specific components to purchase. TIA Fred

    Fred Miller, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Fred Miller

    Night_Seer Guest

    Fred Miller wrote:
    > My son has a desktop and new Dell laptop that he would like to
    > network so he can use his laptop anywhere in his small home. I have
    > offered to buy him the necessary components as a Christmas present.
    > He has a DSL line for internet access so I assume he will need some
    > kind of wireless hub/router and appropriate wireless NIC cards for
    > his laptop and desktop machines. I welcome recommendations on brands
    > to buy as well as brands to avoid and also on specific components to
    > purchase. TIA Fred

    Linksys all the way baby...I recomend wireless G as apposed to wireless
    B as it is faster. Better to keep all components matching, so linksys
    router with a linksys pci adapter on the PC and a linksys wireless
    PCMCIA card on the laptop (all wireless 802.11G of course) Check out
    their website and have a look around.

    Here:
    http://www.linksys.com/

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Fred Miller

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Fred Miller" <> wrote in

    > My son has a desktop and new Dell laptop that he would like to network
    > so he can use his laptop anywhere in his small home. I have offered
    > to buy him the necessary components as a Christmas present. He has a
    > DSL line for internet access so I assume he will need some kind of
    > wireless hub/router and appropriate wireless NIC cards for his laptop
    > and desktop machines. I welcome recommendations on brands to buy as
    > well as brands to avoid and also on specific components to purchase.
    > TIA Fred

    Wireless is a pain in the ass at times. So, maybe you should have the
    laptop as wireless and desktop as wired, which can be accommodated by a
    wire/wireless router. You should also consider getting an UPS for the
    equipment to keep the power clean and constant to the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Fred Miller

    dennis Guest

    I agree with night-seer. Linksys 802.11G is the way to go and has great
    tech support as well. If you need help better to call mon-fri 8-5 (sorry
    forgot their timezone) than to call on weekends. My experience is during
    primetime you have very minimal wait time. You might want to see what kind
    of dsl modem he has, there are some modems that are also routers. In that
    case you will want to get a wireless access point instead of a router. They
    are about the same price. I'd also use the pci for the desktop and pcmcia
    adapters for the laptop. It's been my experience these are a little more
    solid than the usb adapter type.

    hope this helps
    Dennis

    dennis, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Fred Miller

    Night_Seer Guest

    dennis wrote:
    > I agree with night-seer. Linksys 802.11G is the way to go and has
    > great tech support as well. If you need help better to call mon-fri
    > 8-5 (sorry forgot their timezone) than to call on weekends. My
    > experience is during primetime you have very minimal wait time. You
    > might want to see what kind of dsl modem he has, there are some
    > modems that are also routers. In that case you will want to get a
    > wireless access point instead of a router. They are about the same
    > price. I'd also use the pci for the desktop and pcmcia adapters for
    > the laptop. It's been my experience these are a little more solid
    > than the usb adapter type.
    >
    > hope this helps
    > Dennis
    >

    > "Fred Miller" <> wrote in message
    >> My son has a desktop and new Dell laptop that he would like to
    >> network so he can use his laptop anywhere in his small home. I have
    >> offered to buy him the necessary components as a Christmas present.
    >> He has a DSL line for internet access so I assume he will need some
    >> kind of wireless hub/router and appropriate wireless NIC cards for
    >> his laptop and desktop machines. I welcome recommendations on
    >> brands to buy as well as brands to avoid and also on specific
    >> components to purchase. TIA Fred

    I don't think you'd get the speed benefits of Wireless G using USB
    adapters (unless they are usb 2.0, but I haven't seen those around), so
    yes, stay away from these.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Fred Miller

    Steve Guest

    > dennis wrote:
    > > I agree with night-seer. Linksys 802.11G is the way to go and has
    > > great tech support as well. If you need help better to call mon-fri
    > > 8-5 (sorry forgot their timezone) than to call on weekends. My
    > > experience is during primetime you have very minimal wait time. You
    > > might want to see what kind of dsl modem he has, there are some
    > > modems that are also routers. In that case you will want to get a
    > > wireless access point instead of a router. They are about the same
    > > price. I'd also use the pci for the desktop and pcmcia adapters for
    > > the laptop. It's been my experience these are a little more solid
    > > than the usb adapter type.
    > >
    > > hope this helps
    > > Dennis
    > >

    > > "Fred Miller" <> wrote in message
    > >> My son has a desktop and new Dell laptop that he would like to
    > >> network so he can use his laptop anywhere in his small home. I have
    > >> offered to buy him the necessary components as a Christmas present.
    > >> He has a DSL line for internet access so I assume he will need some
    > >> kind of wireless hub/router and appropriate wireless NIC cards for
    > >> his laptop and desktop machines. I welcome recommendations on
    > >> brands to buy as well as brands to avoid and also on specific
    > >> components to purchase. TIA Fred

    > I don't think you'd get the speed benefits of Wireless G using USB
    > adapters (unless they are usb 2.0, but I haven't seen those around), so
    > yes, stay away from these.
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer

    Linksys does make a USB 2.0 g adapter and I highly reccomend them for
    someone not comfortable with opening their PC. My suggestion would be to
    keep the main PC wired and just make the laptop wireless. You alway want at
    least one machine hard wired into the router as wireless can be flaky at
    times.

    I have a Linksys wireless G network but I reccomend using some other brand
    like SMC or Netgear as the wireless utility that Linksys offers does not
    work with Windows XP.

    ---

    Steve, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Fred Miller

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > I have a Linksys wireless G network but I reccomend using some other
    > brand like SMC or Netgear as the wireless utility that Linksys offers
    > does not work with Windows XP.

    I found this to be true with the WPC11-B card utility too. The utility is
    worthless on XP. I found that if one just uses the driver for the card, and
    goes to Device Manager and install the driver and configure the card there
    too, it's much better. Also, that XP Wireless Zero Configuration Service on
    XP is nothing but trouble too, and disabling that service, the connection
    became very stable.

    The connection is as stable and solid as it was on Win 2K.

    Another thing I found on the XP version of the driver is that it is phoning
    home to several IP(s).

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 5, 2003