Setting up dial in properties for Cisco 1841 router.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by gselser, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. gselser

    gselser Guest

    I am trying to set up a modem to be able to dial into the router in
    the event our network is down or misconfigured. I have done this on
    several of my 1700 series routers, but I am having trouble doing this
    with a new 1841 router we have. I have a U.S.Robotics Modem
    (Model#5686) which I connect to the AUX port on the back of the
    router. The modem is exactly the same one I use to successfully
    connect to the 1700 routers.
    When I try to connect to the 1841, I am able to dial in and connect
    but the hyperterminal screen is blank with a flashing cursor. I have
    my Aux Line setup like so:

    line aux 0
    modem InOut
    transport input telnet
    stopbits 1
    speed 115200
    flowcontrol hardware

    Any ideas were I could be going wrong and any suggestions on where I
    may look to better diagnose this problem.
    Thanks
    Glenn

    gselser, Jun 15, 2007

  2. Glenn,

    Your configuration is fine as far as it goes. USR Sportsters do have
    one issue, in which they sometimes, when operating in answer mode,
    tend to forget what DTE speed they are supposed to use, with the
    result that, after answering a call, they may be trying to talk to the
    router at the wrong speed. This often can be remedied by using
    modem autoconfigure ... for example:

    line aux 0
    modem autoconfigure type usr_sportster

    If this still doesn't work, then you could try to triage basic modem
    connectivity by reverse telnetting out the aux port, then dialing
    in from Hyperterm. You should be able to type "hi mom" in the
    Hyperterm window and see it in the reverse telnet window and vice versa.
    If this doesn't work, then you have some kind of hardware/cabling/phone
    circuit problem. If this does work, but you still can't dial in and
    get an exec prompt, then you have a configuration issue or possibly a
    bug.

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ I am trying to set up a modem to be able to dial into the router in
    ~ the event our network is down or misconfigured. I have done this on
    ~ several of my 1700 series routers, but I am having trouble doing this
    ~ with a new 1841 router we have. I have a U.S.Robotics Modem
    ~ (Model#5686) which I connect to the AUX port on the back of the
    ~ router. The modem is exactly the same one I use to successfully
    ~ connect to the 1700 routers.
    ~ When I try to connect to the 1841, I am able to dial in and connect
    ~ but the hyperterminal screen is blank with a flashing cursor. I have
    ~ my Aux Line setup like so:
    ~
    ~ line aux 0
    ~ modem InOut