Setting up a wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?cGVlYnM=?=, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. I am BRAND NEW to networking so please bear with me.
    I have a desktop running WinXP2 to which is hooked by USB a printer, a
    scanner and, from time to time, several other USB devices like digital camera
    etc. I also have a laptop which has WiFi also running WinXP2.
    My internet connection comes in via an ADSL connection to a Wanadoo livebox
    which is connected to my desktop via USB and to my laptop via WiFi. Both
    machines acess the internet OK. The livebox modem supplied by Wanadoo, my
    ISP, aslo has an ethernet connection which is unused as I don't have ethernet
    anywhere.
    I want to share the printer/scanner/files on the desktop with the laptop and
    the files on the laptop with the desktop.
    My question is, how do I go about it and what is the best hardware/software
    to do the job? If I need extra hardware then I would like NOT to use the
    existing Livebox as I have to rent this from Wanadoo on a monthly basis.
    Any help gratefully received,
    --
    peebs
     
    =?Utf-8?B?cGVlYnM=?=, Jan 29, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Print Share procedure: 1 - Go to Control Panel|Fax and Printer.
    2 - Right button click on the printer
    you want to share.
    3 - Choose 'Property' voice from
    context menu open.
    4 - Select the tab for share the
    device from the window
    open.
    Then you have a new printer chared in Your net.

    "peebs" wrote:

    > I am BRAND NEW to networking so please bear with me.
    > I have a desktop running WinXP2 to which is hooked by USB a printer, a
    > scanner and, from time to time, several other USB devices like digital camera
    > etc. I also have a laptop which has WiFi also running WinXP2.
    > My internet connection comes in via an ADSL connection to a Wanadoo livebox
    > which is connected to my desktop via USB and to my laptop via WiFi. Both
    > machines acess the internet OK. The livebox modem supplied by Wanadoo, my
    > ISP, aslo has an ethernet connection which is unused as I don't have ethernet
    > anywhere.
    > I want to share the printer/scanner/files on the desktop with the laptop and
    > the files on the laptop with the desktop.
    > My question is, how do I go about it and what is the best hardware/software
    > to do the job? If I need extra hardware then I would like NOT to use the
    > existing Livebox as I have to rent this from Wanadoo on a monthly basis.
    > Any help gratefully received,
    > --
    > peebs
     
    =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycGhldXNfMTk5OQ==?=, Jan 29, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Thanks Morpheous but i don't see how that will link my usb printer to my
    laptop as it is WiFi connected to my LiveBox modem and my printer and desktop
    is USB connected to the same LiveBox modem. maybe I am missing something here.
    --
    peebs


    "Morpheus_1999" wrote:

    > Print Share procedure: 1 - Go to Control Panel|Fax and Printer.
    > 2 - Right button click on the printer
    > you want to share.
    > 3 - Choose 'Property' voice from
    > context menu open.
    > 4 - Select the tab for share the
    > device from the window
    > open.
    > Then you have a new printer chared in Your net.
    >
    > "peebs" wrote:
    >
    > > I am BRAND NEW to networking so please bear with me.
    > > I have a desktop running WinXP2 to which is hooked by USB a printer, a
    > > scanner and, from time to time, several other USB devices like digital camera
    > > etc. I also have a laptop which has WiFi also running WinXP2.
    > > My internet connection comes in via an ADSL connection to a Wanadoo livebox
    > > which is connected to my desktop via USB and to my laptop via WiFi. Both
    > > machines acess the internet OK. The livebox modem supplied by Wanadoo, my
    > > ISP, aslo has an ethernet connection which is unused as I don't have ethernet
    > > anywhere.
    > > I want to share the printer/scanner/files on the desktop with the laptop and
    > > the files on the laptop with the desktop.
    > > My question is, how do I go about it and what is the best hardware/software
    > > to do the job? If I need extra hardware then I would like NOT to use the
    > > existing Livebox as I have to rent this from Wanadoo on a monthly basis.
    > > Any help gratefully received,
    > > --
    > > peebs
     
    =?Utf-8?B?cGVlYnM=?=, Jan 29, 2006
    #3
  4. AS long as windows sees your network devices as network interfaces, it
    doesn't matter. when it comes to windows local networking, everything is
    similar to the internet except \\computername\sharename is used to access
    resources. do what morpheus said on how to share a printer and then go into
    printers in control panel.....add a network printer.


    "peebs" wrote:

    > Thanks Morpheous but i don't see how that will link my usb printer to my
    > laptop as it is WiFi connected to my LiveBox modem and my printer and desktop
    > is USB connected to the same LiveBox modem. maybe I am missing something here.
    > --
    > peebs
    >
    >
    > "Morpheus_1999" wrote:
    >
    > > Print Share procedure: 1 - Go to Control Panel|Fax and Printer.
    > > 2 - Right button click on the printer
    > > you want to share.
    > > 3 - Choose 'Property' voice from
    > > context menu open.
    > > 4 - Select the tab for share the
    > > device from the window
    > > open.
    > > Then you have a new printer chared in Your net.
    > >
    > > "peebs" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am BRAND NEW to networking so please bear with me.
    > > > I have a desktop running WinXP2 to which is hooked by USB a printer, a
    > > > scanner and, from time to time, several other USB devices like digital camera
    > > > etc. I also have a laptop which has WiFi also running WinXP2.
    > > > My internet connection comes in via an ADSL connection to a Wanadoo livebox
    > > > which is connected to my desktop via USB and to my laptop via WiFi. Both
    > > > machines acess the internet OK. The livebox modem supplied by Wanadoo, my
    > > > ISP, aslo has an ethernet connection which is unused as I don't have ethernet
    > > > anywhere.
    > > > I want to share the printer/scanner/files on the desktop with the laptop and
    > > > the files on the laptop with the desktop.
    > > > My question is, how do I go about it and what is the best hardware/software
    > > > to do the job? If I need extra hardware then I would like NOT to use the
    > > > existing Livebox as I have to rent this from Wanadoo on a monthly basis.
    > > > Any help gratefully received,
    > > > --
    > > > peebs
     
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=, Jan 30, 2006
    #4
  5. Sorry John, I may be being a bit thick here but, I only have a device
    (LiveBox) that allows two, or more computers to share one internet connection
    at the same time. Does that constitute a network?
    I tried sharing my desktop's printer and got a dire message about possible
    threats from the internet because the firewall ha to be adjusted. However I
    did proceed and shared my printer but on the laptop there were still no
    printers.
    I am sure that it is my interpretation of what you and Morpheous are saying
    that is at fault.
    I just went onto the Belkin site where they have a checklist of what you
    need after you describe what you want. This said that I needed an ADSL2+moden
    with high speed mode wireless G router at my central connection point and a
    Wireless print Server for my USB printer (whatever they may be). I did say
    that I would prefer not to use my existing ADSL modem (LiveBox) as i rent it
    from France Telecom. Had I opted to use my modem then the Central conection
    point item would have changed to just the High Speed Mode wireless-G router.
    The Wireless print server would still be needed for my printer.
    Regards,
    --
    peebs


    "John" wrote:

    > AS long as windows sees your network devices as network interfaces, it
    > doesn't matter. when it comes to windows local networking, everything is
    > similar to the internet except \\computername\sharename is used to access
    > resources. do what morpheus said on how to share a printer and then go into
    > printers in control panel.....add a network printer.
    >
    >
    > "peebs" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Morpheous but i don't see how that will link my usb printer to my
    > > laptop as it is WiFi connected to my LiveBox modem and my printer and desktop
    > > is USB connected to the same LiveBox modem. maybe I am missing something here.
    > > --
    > > peebs
    > >
    > >
    > > "Morpheus_1999" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Print Share procedure: 1 - Go to Control Panel|Fax and Printer.
    > > > 2 - Right button click on the printer
    > > > you want to share.
    > > > 3 - Choose 'Property' voice from
    > > > context menu open.
    > > > 4 - Select the tab for share the
    > > > device from the window
    > > > open.
    > > > Then you have a new printer chared in Your net.
    > > >
    > > > "peebs" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > I am BRAND NEW to networking so please bear with me.
    > > > > I have a desktop running WinXP2 to which is hooked by USB a printer, a
    > > > > scanner and, from time to time, several other USB devices like digital camera
    > > > > etc. I also have a laptop which has WiFi also running WinXP2.
    > > > > My internet connection comes in via an ADSL connection to a Wanadoo livebox
    > > > > which is connected to my desktop via USB and to my laptop via WiFi. Both
    > > > > machines acess the internet OK. The livebox modem supplied by Wanadoo, my
    > > > > ISP, aslo has an ethernet connection which is unused as I don't have ethernet
    > > > > anywhere.
    > > > > I want to share the printer/scanner/files on the desktop with the laptop and
    > > > > the files on the laptop with the desktop.
    > > > > My question is, how do I go about it and what is the best hardware/software
    > > > > to do the job? If I need extra hardware then I would like NOT to use the
    > > > > existing Livebox as I have to rent this from Wanadoo on a monthly basis.
    > > > > Any help gratefully received,
    > > > > --
    > > > > peebs
     
    =?Utf-8?B?cGVlYnM=?=, Jan 30, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jeff Durham

    Re: Setting up a wireless network in an apartment block

    Jeff Durham, Sep 17, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    681
    Jeff Durham
    Sep 18, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?bGlhbXNraQ==?=

    Setting up a wireless network in an apartment block

    =?Utf-8?B?bGlhbXNraQ==?=, Sep 17, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    542
    =?Utf-8?B?bGlhbXNraQ==?=
    Sep 17, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=

    Help with Setting Up Wireless Network

    =?Utf-8?B?VmljdG9y?=, Oct 22, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    593
    Yi Chen [MSFT]
    Nov 3, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?=

    Setting up wireless network

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?=, Nov 2, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    480
    Dwight
    Nov 4, 2004
  5. John

    Quality Setting in Epson R200 - Setting your own?

    John, Jan 24, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    434
Loading...

Share This Page