    using two 802.11b/g wireless LAN USB adaptors
    --
    gwyn

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3d5bg==?=, Nov 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z3d5bg==?=

    Malke Guest

    gwyn wrote:

    > I've bought a desktop for my daughter running Windows XP. My desktop
    > is older running XP with S.pack2. Can I share my NTL Broadband
    > connection just by using two 802.11b/g wireless LAN USB adaptors

    Yes, but I think it will be easier with a wireless router. Here are
    links to help you:

    Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    Router - MVP Barb Bowman
    http://tinyurl.com/2zkon

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Nov 20, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Z3d5bg==?=

    Ryan Younger Guest

    That depends on a few variables. How is your desktop machine receving it's
    broadband connection? You will need two network interfaces on the machine
    on which you wish to share your internet connection (the host machine). So,
    as long as you aren't using the USB wireless card to connect to a combo ADSL
    modem with wireless router then this is possible. For example if you have,
    say, an alcatel speedtouch USB ADSL modem or similar on your desktop machine
    then you can setup an ad hoc wireless network on that machine using your USB
    wireless network adapter, you can then have your daughter's laptop connect
    to this ad hoc wireless network through her USB WLAN adapter.

    The next stage would be to setup Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop
    (host) machine so that your daughter's laptop can access the Internet
    through your desktop machine. Basic steps are:

    ON THE HOST MACHINE:

    Double-click the wireless network connection icon in the system tray, click
    'View Wireless Networks' then click 'Change Advanced Settings'.

    Click the 'Advanced' button and then select the 'Computer to computer (ad
    hoc) networks only ' radio button and clear the 'Automatically connect to
    non-preferred networks' checkbox if it is ticked, you can then click the
    'Close' button to return to the Wireless Networks dialog.

    Next, under 'Preferred networks' click the 'Add...' button and specify a
    network name (SSID) in the dialog which appears. I would advise setting
    'Data encryption' to disabled at this stage as we are placing our focus on
    getting the connection working at this stage. After clicking the Ok button
    you will see your ad hoc network displayed in the Preferred networks box
    with a PC card icon next to it, this icon indicates that it is an ad hoc
    network connection.

    ON THE CLIENT MACHINE:

    On the client machine Double-click the wireless network connection icon in
    the system tray, click
    'View Wireless Networks' and then highlight the network (SSID) you setup
    previously which should be displayed in the available wireless networks list
    and click the connect button at the bottom of the dialog.

    ENABLE INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING (ICS) ON THE HOST MACHINE:

    The final stage is to enable ICS on your host machine, to do this undertake
    the following steps:

    Open Network Connections and select the connection to be shared, then under
    'Network Tasks' click 'Change the settings of this connection'.

    Next, on the 'Advanced' tab tick the 'Allow other network users to connect
    through this computer's Internet connection' check box.

    Your daughter's laptop should now be able to access the Internet through
    your host machine wirelessly.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/airsick/ - My Wireless Networking Blog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 20, 2005
  4. Thanks guys you've been a great help regards Gwyn

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3d5bg==?=, Nov 20, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Z3d5bg==?=

    Ryan Younger Guest

    In case you find it useful, I have created an updated article for wirelessly
    sharing an Internet connection under Windows XP Service Pack 2 complete with
    screenshots. The article can be accessed via my blog, under the 'Articles'
    section on the right-hand corner of the page.

    Ryan Younger, Nov 20, 2005
  6. Ryan,

    I have found your posts and Blog educational but cannot find an answer to
    my setup problems.

    I wish to share files and printer wirelessly on my home network but cannot
    work out how to do it, although I am sharing my broadband internet
    connection.

    I have a desktop (host) machine running XP Pro SP2 but without an internal
    wireless card. I have a Belkin ADSL modem wireless router which is connected
    to the host by an RJ-45 network cable. Two laptops which I wish to share
    files with are also running XP Pro SP2, and both Wi-Fi capable (I also have
    another desktop running Win 98, presently not networked, but which I would
    like to include if poss). I assume the Belkin router is supplying the
    internet connection directly to the desktop host via the RJ-45 connection and
    to the laptops via wireless. Is it possible to set up wireless file and
    print sharing among the computers on my network (or at least between the host
    and laptops) using this setup? I would have thought a network connection
    should be possible from my desktop host, through the RJ-45 network cable,
    then wirelessly to the laptops and vice-versa.

    Eric

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?=, Nov 24, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Z3d5bg==?=

    bug Guest

    bug, Nov 13, 2008
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Z3d5bg==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    It is Not the best way to go (using a Wireless Router is much better).
    Here how,
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack, Nov 14, 2008