    100G+ for the laptop.

    From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both machines, then
    set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some kind soul has set out
    a step-by-step guide to both processes that you can recommend? One of those
    guides that an idiot like me can understand!

    Many thanks.

    Henry Henry, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Henry Henry

    DC Guest

    Henry Henry wrote:
    > I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete novice
    > when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...

    Two excellent links to get you started. They were all I needed to get
    set up.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    HTH }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Free your mind, and your OS will follow...

    DC, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Henry Henry

    °Mike° Guest

    WLAN Wireless Networking
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wlan.htm

    Step by Step: Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guide.htm

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:30:17 +0100, in
    <VpGzc.15569$9.net>
    Henry Henry scrawled:

    >I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete novice
    >when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...
    >
    >A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop and a
    >desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless network
    >between them. They both have network cards already, and he's bought
    >Sitecom Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom Network PC card
    >100G+ for the laptop.
    >
    >From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both machines, then
    >set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some kind soul has set out
    >a step-by-step guide to both processes that you can recommend? One of those
    >guides that an idiot like me can understand!
    >
    >Many thanks.

    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Henry Henry

    Henry Henry Guest

    > I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete novice
    > when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...
    >
    > A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop and a
    > desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless network
    > between them. They both have network cards already, and he's bought
    > Sitecom Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom Network PC card
    > 100G+ for the laptop.
    >
    > From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both machines,

    then
    > set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some kind soul has set

    out
    > a step-by-step guide to both processes that you can recommend? One of

    those
    > guides that an idiot like me can understand!
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Sorry, I should have added that the primary purpose of setting up the
    wireless network is to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs
    through a USB cable modem)

    Henry Henry, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Henry Henry

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Henry Henry" <> wrote in

    > I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete
    > novice when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...
    >
    > A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop
    > and a desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless
    > network between them. They both have network cards already, and he's
    > bought Sitecom Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom
    > Network PC card 100G+ for the laptop.
    >
    > From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both
    > machines, then set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some
    > kind soul has set out a step-by-step guide to both processes that you
    > can recommend? One of those guides that an idiot like me can
    > understand!
    >
    > Many thanks.

    You should look into the security part of the wireless network as well as
    too many *clueless* home users have the wireless home network
    compromised.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 15, 2004
  6. Henry Henry

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Henry Henry" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete novice
    > > when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...
    > >
    > > A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop and

    > > desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless network
    > > between them. They both have network cards already, and he's bought
    > > Sitecom Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom Network PC

    card
    > > 100G+ for the laptop.
    > >
    > > From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both machines,

    > then
    > > set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some kind soul has set

    > out
    > > a step-by-step guide to both processes that you can recommend? One of

    > those
    > > guides that an idiot like me can understand!
    > >
    > > Many thanks.

    > Sorry, I should have added that the primary purpose of setting up the
    > wireless network is to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs
    > through a USB cable modem)

    Then what you should be getting is wired/wireless NAT router and use it as
    the gateway device for the LAN and WAN.

    The wire/wireless router has wireless security features that protect the
    wireless from attack (War Driving as an example), along with providing
    protection from attacks from the Internet.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Henry Henry

    John Guest

    In article <VpGzc.15569$9.net>, Henry Henry
    <> wrote:

    > From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both machines, then
    > set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some kind soul has set out
    > a step-by-step guide to both processes that you can recommend? One of those
    > guides that an idiot like me can understand!

    What process?
    You get a wireless router to send the data, and wireless receivers for
    each computer that you want to get it.
    Attach them all and set the networking settings to use that network.

    I would suggest setting it as a secure network.

    John, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Henry Henry

    John Guest

    In article <P8Hzc.15583$9.net>, Henry Henry
    <> wrote:

    > Sorry, I should have added that the primary purpose of setting up the
    > wireless network is to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs
    > through a USB cable modem)

    What, a USB - ONLY adapter?
    There's no Ethernet port?

    John, Jun 15, 2004
  9. Henry Henry

    Henry Henry Guest

    > > > I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete
    novice
    > > > when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...
    > > >
    > > > A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop

    and
    > > > desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless network
    > > > between them. They both have network cards already, and he's bought
    > > > Sitecom Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom Network PC

    > card
    > > > 100G+ for the laptop.
    > > >
    > > > From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both

    machines,
    > > then
    > > > set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some kind soul has

    set
    > > out
    > > > a step-by-step guide to both processes that you can recommend? One of

    > > those
    > > > guides that an idiot like me can understand!
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks.

    > > Sorry, I should have added that the primary purpose of setting up the
    > > wireless network is to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs
    > > through a USB cable modem)
    > >

    > Then what you should be getting is wired/wireless NAT router and use it

    as
    > the gateway device for the LAN and WAN.
    >
    > The wire/wireless router has wireless security features that protect the
    > wireless from attack (War Driving as an example), along with providing
    > protection from attacks from the Internet.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    > Duane :)

    Can one not use the USB cable modem and ICS? I'd rather not have to shell
    out on more hardware if we can possibly avoid it.

    Henry Henry, Jun 15, 2004
  10. Henry Henry

    Henry Henry Guest

    > > Sorry, I should have added that the primary purpose of setting up the
    > > wireless network is to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs
    > > through a USB cable modem)

    > What, a USB - ONLY adapter?
    > There's no Ethernet port?

    Hi John,

    The cable modem connects to the PC through a USB port (hence my question
    about ICS).

    Henry Henry, Jun 15, 2004
  11. Henry Henry

    > novice

    > and

    network

    PC
    > > card

    > machines,
    > > > then

    > set
    > > > out

    of
    > > > those

    > > > Sorry, I should have added that the primary purpose of setting up the
    > > > wireless network is to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs
    > > > through a USB cable modem)
    > > >

    > > Then what you should be getting is wired/wireless NAT router and use it

    > as
    > > the gateway device for the LAN and WAN.
    > >
    > > The wire/wireless router has wireless security features that protect the
    > > wireless from attack (War Driving as an example), along with providing
    > > protection from attacks from the Internet.
    > >
    > > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    > >
    > > Duane :)

    > Can one not use the USB cable modem and ICS? I'd rather not have to shell
    > out on more hardware if we can possibly avoid it.

    Well, I think you'll be much more acceptable to attack and compromise trying
    to use AD-Hoc mode on the cards with ICS on the wireless.

    The proper security is the key to protection on the wireless.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx
    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    A good wireless NAT router provides many of the security features needed to
    protect the wireless in today's environment.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 17, 2004