setting up a wireless network--help

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jack, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    As for LAN Sharing - http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "maggie" <> wrote in message
    > I have had my wireless router, adapters, and wireless card (all for

    different
    > machines) for almost a year. I cannot get it set up--I am able to connect

    > the internet through the "main" computer, but that is about it. I have
    > contacted the router manufacturer (gateway), but they won't help unless I

    pay
    > them something like $75 to tell me where to click to put in what. I get
    > frustrated, give up for a month or two and then try to set it up

    again--but
    > the cycle continues.
    > so here is the problem...
    >
    > All computers are running XP home, the router is 802.11b, with 128-bit wep
    > encryption, the adapters are wbu-110 (both from gateway). I have a cable

    modem

    > I went to the wireless networking wizard, and it said that because I don't
    > have a flash drive I need to input the data manually--my SSID, network

    key,
    > etc...So, where do I do this? I tried to go into network connections,

    under
    > available wireless networks, and tried to input it but it would never stay

    in
    > there.
    >
    > I don't understand, the key is provided for me, right? so, if it is
    > provided, why do I have to input it??? But if I uncheck the box that says
    > the key is provided for me then I can't select anything...and if I can't

    put
    > it in then why did the wireless wizard thing tell me that I needed to add

    it
    > manually because I don't have a flash drive.
    >
    > I have also tried to do the network setup wizard, but it keeps saying that
    > no other computers can connect to the internet through this computer--but

    > do have internet access on all the other computers, so what is that

    about??

    > I have been told, by someone at gateway, that if all computers have the

    same
    > workgroup name that that puts them in your network, but I cannot connect

    > the other computer for purposes of playing LAN games, and at this point

    don't
    > have file sharing either--which I use to have until we moved a month ago.
    >
    > Also, I am a bit scared to disable my firewall to connect to the

    network--if
    > this is the problem, because when I did it last time I got a few viruses

    and
    > had to reformat...it was my understanding that using wep encryption would
    > help the computer know who was suppose to connect to it (am I wrong?) and

    if
    > I have a firewall, at least the computers with the same network key would

    be

    Jack, Nov 9, 2004

  2. I have had my wireless router, adapters, and wireless card (all for different
    machines) for almost a year. I cannot get it set up--I am able to connect to
[...]

    no other computers can connect to the internet through this computer--but I
    do have internet access on all the other computers, so what is that about??

    I have been told, by someone at gateway, that if all computers have the same
    workgroup name that that puts them in your network, but I cannot connect to

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFnZ2ll?=, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Jack

    TW Guest

    First, this is for WinXP SP2. SP1 is similar. You should be using the
    Wireless Zero Configuration service(WZC) to get started.

    If using SP2 then turn OFF the windows firewall.
    Go to the control panel, security center, and you will find it there. If you
    want a firewall later I suggest going to Zonelabs.com and getting the free
    Zonealarm program. This will have to be configured to allow a local LAN, as
    will any firewall software.0

    Double click the wireless icon in your systray and click view available
    wireless networks. Next click properties at the bottom. Click the wireless
    network tab at the top. Click properties. Click on the authentication tab at
    the top. UNCHECK the box for enable IEEE 802.x authentication for this
    network( enabled by default with SP2).

    You should disable any WEP keys while trying to create your network. This
    includes the router and the cards. I am not familiar with Gateway
    products( I use D-Link) but you need to find the admin page on the router to
    disable WEP. This is usually done with a wired connection to the router and
    using Internet Explorer using 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. This
    encryption only encrypts data between the wireless card and the wireless
    router, not the entire network. After turning OFF the WEP you should be able
    to connect to the router. You will have to go back to the wireless icon and
    again go through all the properties sheets and add the SSID then click
    connect.

    Once you have established a stable WLan then you will need to start securing
    it using WEP(64 or 128 bit) with the keys supplied by you. One method is to
    use your cell phone number for 64 bit WEP(since your neighbors shouldn't
    know this number).
    Post back if this doesn't help.

    TW, Nov 10, 2004
  4. I disabled all firewalls--I didn't have the windows one on, but had norton
    internet security on...then I got into the router, but I had not turned WEP
    on at 192.168.1.1, which was what I thought--I couldn't figure out why my
    computer is making me do WEP when I hadn't configured it...then I went to the
    network connections, properties, and clicked on authentication and turned off
    the IEEE 802.x, but after all this, I could not find the wireless network tab
    on this computer, only the authentication tab...on the other computers I can
    find the wireless network tab, but it will not keep the SSID and network key
    that I entered.

    When I click on the wireless network wizard (or something like that), it
    gives me the SSID and the network key, and tells me to manually input it into
    the other machines...I don't know where this comes from, but it seems like it
    is already entered and I can't do anything about it, and I can't figure out
    how to change it or even where it is entered, because I cannot find the
    wireless network tab...UGH.

    Also, how do I know that I have a stable WLAN?

    I want to point out that I can connect to the internet through "Gateway"
    SSID, which is the "available" network...I deleted the "Gateway" preferred
    network because I wondered if that was the problem, because I wanted it to
    connect to the other preferred network...I even tried to move it up or down,
    but it still showed that I could not connect to it...but deleting didn't do
    anything, so I need to add it again--the network that I want "blue", for
    example, in the preferred network slot says that I cannot connect to it,
    because, I assume, that the network keys don't match. Something is already
    entered in the "blue" preferred network key slot--that is maybe 10 characters
    long, and whenever I try to put in the actual network key and click ok, but
    then go back to see if it stayed, it is back to the 10 characters long thing.
    The network key that I was given is 26 characters long.

    The box that says Use windows to configure my wireless network settings is
    checked and when I uncheck it then I can't do anything. I can't add a
    preferred network, I can't get into properties of any of the networks...

    I do appreciate the help and wish that I understood this better. I tried to
    go to the web sites that Jack provided, but the problem seems to be with me
    entering it into my other computers, and I think that the web sites were more
    about entering it into the router...

    Anyway, thank you again.
    Maggie
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFnZ2ll?=, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Jack

    TW Guest

    You are getting close.
    Judging by your last post, the SSID on the router is GATEWAY. You can and
    should change it to something else like HOME or MINE. It seems that your
    computer was in fact seeing the SSID GATEWAY. Once you set up the router
    with your own SSID(don't forget to unplug and plug back in the router after
    the change) your computer should see the new SSID. You will know that its
    the router due to the new SSID. On the computer make sure to disable WEP and
    IEE802.x and set network authentication to open. Your computer should now
    see the Wireless and you will need to add to your preferred networks.

    By a stable network I mean that you can connect to the router and stay
    connected wirelessly.
    Post back if you still can't get it working.

    TW, Nov 11, 2004
  6. I thought I had it, just for about 2 hours, but then something happened and I
    can't even connect to the internet on my other machines! I was never able to
    do WEP--one reason is because I used the passphrase and it generated a key
    (what exactly is a passphrase anyway, does it replace the key so that I can
    use it instead of the key??) but the key was different than the key that was
    given to me by the wireless network wizard. I don't understand...do I use the
    key given to me by the wireless wizard (which is the same every time) or do I
    use the one that I get from the router (or whatever it is at that URL)?

    I was networked for about 2 hours, like I said, and then something happened.
    I did not change anything--we were actually playing a game when it happened,
    and now we can't even connect to the internet!

    I have reset the modem and the router, have gone back to that URL and
    re-entered everything, changing the SSID, but I am afraid to set the WEP
    because I cannot enter it at all into the network connections tab, or
    whatever--whenever I try and then I go back to look if it saved it is about
    half as long as what I typed...also, are you suppose to have to enter in the
    key every single time you want to connect??? because this is what it kept
    asking me to do and then when I restarted everything, it wouldn't connect at
    all and I had to open available networks and click on a box that said "this
    is an unsecured network, but connect anyway" or something like that--but it
    didn't really work, after just a bit I wasn't able to connect to the
    internet, wasn't able to see workgroup computers (which is weird because I
    could always see them and connect to the internet).

    So now I do not have a stable WLAN, which I had before, and I can't see my
    workgroup computers...I still do not have any firewalls up and am not sure
    what to do...

    HELP!!!

    Thanks again,
    Maggie
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFnZ2ll?=, Nov 11, 2004
  7. Jack

    TW Guest

    You don't need the network wizard. If you can see the unsecured network you
    can connect to it. You don't need a key until you turn on WEP.
    Try rebooting the modem and then the router and then the wireless computer
    in that order. The reason for this is the modem gets an IP address from your
    ISP. Next the router gets its IP from the modem, and finally the computer
    gets an IP from the router. After rebooting everything try to connect to the
    unsecured wireless network. If it asks you to supply a key(even though it
    shows up as unsecured) then you must have a setting on the computer set to
    secured.

    Turn off IEE 802.x authentication. This is used for a network with a server.

    Set authentication to open. After rereading your last post, this could be
    the main problem. A shared passphrase is setup on the router and then all
    wireless computers must know this phrase. When the computer connects with
    the passphrase the router sends a key to the computer. Using this you don't
    need to know the key just the passphrase. Once connected the router will
    change the key periodically using the four keys setup in the router.

    Disable WEP. Make sure key is supplied for me is unchecked.

    In the advanced properties for wireless networks check the infrastructure
    box. Make sure there is no check in the connect to unprefered networks box.

    Enter the SSID and click connect.
    Post back and let everyone know if you get this working

    TW, Nov 12, 2004