    on your computer?

    Thanks
    jaxon7au

    =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=, Feb 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

    Malke Guest

    jaxon7au wrote:

    > (sorry if this is a repost, the first one vanished)
    >
    > I am trying to share my broadband internet connection from my desktop
    > to my laptop.
    > I have installed a wireless router to my desktop modem and the laptop
    > is
    > wireless ready. I have tried the wireless network wizard, but it
    > makes no
    > sense at all to me. I just sends me back and forth between computers.
    > Is there and idiots guide to this online somewhere?
    > Also, I am concerned about security and would like to make sure that
    > only these two computers can use the network.
    >
    > Also, where can you find a list of wireless networks that have been
    > created on your computer?

    Before we get started, what do you mean "installed a wireless router to
    my desktop modem"? Do you really mean you have a cable/DSL modem to
    which you've attached a wireless router and your desktop is attached to
    the router via an ethernet cable to one of its ports?

    If this isn't what you've got, post back with exact setup; otherwise it
    is a waste of time going into detail about how to connect the laptop.
    In the meantime, here are some links to help illustrate normal setup:

    Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Thanks for your reply.
    The setup you described is the one I have got.
    Thanks for the links. Am going to check them out now.

    jaxon7au

    =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=, Feb 8, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

    Malke Guest

    jaxon7au wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply.
    > The setup you described is the one I have got.
    > Thanks for the links. Am going to check them out now.

    OK. The links should answer your questions but if you need more help, do
    post back.

    Malke

    Malke, Feb 8, 2006
  5. OK, I give up.
    I've tried the wireless network setup wizard but I just don't get it. What
    settings do I choose, etc. Also, where is the network that gets created
    located. I can't find it. Are there any other web links that can take me
    through it step by step as I have absolutly no idea what I am doing.

    Thanks
    jaxon7au

    =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=, Feb 9, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

    Malke Guest

    jaxon7au wrote:

    > OK, I give up.
    > I've tried the wireless network setup wizard but I just don't get it.
    > What
    > settings do I choose, etc. Also, where is the network that gets
    > created
    > located. I can't find it. Are there any other web links that can
    > take me through it step by step as I have absolutly no idea what I am
    > doing.

    Since you didn't give me any information about what hardware you have
    (router, wireless network adapter) or operating system (and Service
    Pack levels), or broadband method (cable or dsl) I can only give you
    general steps.

    1. Unpack router and put the cd it came with in your desktop machine.
    Follow the wizard exactly. When you are finished, your router is
    connected to the cable/dsl modem and your desktop is connected to the
    router with an ethernet cable. You should have Internet access.

    2. Go to the router's configuration screen from a browser opened on your
    desktop. This is done by entering the router's IP address in the
    addressbar. For ex., a Linksys will be 192.168.1.1. Refer to the router
    manual. Go to the wireless settings and change the SSID from the
    default name to something easily recognizable. Don't set the encryption
    yet.

    3. Make sure your wireless is active on the laptop. Many new laptops
    have a button, switch, or keypress + FN to turn on the wireless. Refer
    to your laptop's manual. You should see a message in the lower
    right-hand corner that there are wireless networks available. Follow
    the prompts to connect. You should now be connected to the router and
    have Internet access.

    encryption, preferably to WPA-PSK. All hardware must support that so if
    your laptop is older, you'll probably have to use WEP. Create a
    passphrase for WPA-PSK or a key and write it down. Save your settings.

    5. Now the laptop should tell you that your wireless network requires a
    key. Enter the key. You will have Internet access.

    If you still don't understand, have a local professional come and set
    you up.

    Malke

    Malke, Feb 9, 2006
  7. Thanks so much, I've got everything set up and its running great so far.
    Thanks again for your help
    jaxon7au

    =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=, Feb 12, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

    Malke Guest

    jaxon7au wrote:

    > Thanks so much, I've got everything set up and its running great so
    > far. Thanks again for your help

    Super! Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know.

    Malke

    Malke, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Malke,you are so helpful I just had to give you this
    one:
    Both an external network card and a usb adapter achieve connections to our
    router with 1 host and 3 clients in the same home.BUT just me cannot connect
    to theinternet or mail! We have exhausted our limited knowledge and am now
    stumped. I do get a message saying wireless network connected.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGFwbA==?=, Feb 25, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

    Malke Guest

    dapl wrote:

    > Malke,you are so helpful I just had to give you this
    > one:
    > Both an external network card and a usb adapter achieve connections to
    > our router with 1 host and 3 clients in the same home.BUT just me
    > cannot connect to theinternet or mail! We have exhausted our limited
    > knowledge and am now stumped. I do get a message saying wireless
    > network connected.

    Start a new thread instead of posting onto an old one so others will see
    your questions. Include all necessary information such as what
    operating systems (and versions if XP - Home, Pro - and service pack
    levels) all the machines are running. It would be helpful to include
    the makes/models of your router and adapters, and how you get to the
    Internet (cable, DSL, other).

    I'll look for your new post.

    Malke

    Malke, Feb 25, 2006
  11. Thanks. I will know the next time. Fixed by"Wirelees DHCP problem" 1/24/2006.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGFwbA==?=, Feb 26, 2006