    through the router, however I don't know how to set this up. The router is a
    BT Voyager 2000 and we are not using Windows for the network seetings.

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=, Feb 18, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    Pete wrote:

    > We currently have three computers (one Mac) all connected wirelessly
    > to a wireless router/modem. All three of us can browse the internet
    > etc, however we are unable to connect to each others computers.
    >
    > I assume the best way to do this would be as an infrastructure network
    > ie. through the router, however I don't know how to set this up. The
    > router is a BT Voyager 2000 and we are not using Windows for the
    > network seetings.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated!

    This really doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the computers
    are connecting wirelessly. You need to set up home networking. Since I
    don't know what Windows operating systems (and versions and Service
    Pack levels if XP) you are running, I can only give you some general
    information.

    1. On the Windows machines, run the Network Setup Wizard, making sure to
    enable File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that
    this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
    third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
    Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're
    fine. If you have third-party firewall software, configure it to allow
    the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my
    firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
    Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet.

    Shared Documents folder.

    2. The easiest way to insure you won't be asked for passwords is to
    create identical user accounts/passwords on all 4 of your computers.

    3. On the Mac, assuming you are running some flavor of OSX, you'll need
    to run Samba. This is extremely easy. For exact instructions, refer to
    one of these websites that I got from a Google search:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=OSX Windows networking&btnG=Google Search

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers