Setting up a Sima CT 200 video box to Sony external DVD drive

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lost in the waste land, May 23, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I have some general questions about a Sima Ct 200 box and connecting
    it between a VCR and DVD external drive.

    1) This Sima box has just 2 connectors that I see on any photos:

    Input Composite Video, on an RCA connector Y/C (S-Video), on a 4-Pin
    connector
    NTSC and PAL Signals Supported

    Output Composite Video, on an RCA connector Y/C (S-Video), on a 4-Pin

    connector

    2) Are they actually mean 4 connections ( two in, two out) : S-Video
    4-Pin 1394 ?

    3) I have a Sony DRX 720 UL External DVD writer on my Win XT machine
    that only has a 1394 Firewire or USB 2.0 connections. I''m assuming

    the
    1394 output is going to the DVD ?

    4) My Sony DVD player/VCR recorder has S-Video out ..
    But it is a DIN connector (Like a keyboard connector).
    So I guess I need a S-Video to Firewire cable ?

    5) One last question(s) !

    Duping VCR to DVD in this manner does not appear to provide
    any visual or editing abilities .. Is that true ?The DVD came with Nero

    6.2
    but that appears that it is mostly for songs and data .. Not necessary

    video stream.

    6) I quite haven't figured out this *ripping* terminology either.

    7) How would I transfer VCR tape through a program to edit on a PC and
    then to DVD ?

    This is all new to me ... excuse the stupid questions.

    Cheers.
    Lost.

    Lost in the waste land, May 23, 2006

  2. On 5/23/2006, Lost in the waste land posted this:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some general questions about a Sima Ct 200 box and connecting
    > it between a VCR and DVD external drive.
    >

    > 1) This Sima box has just 2 connectors that I see on any photos:
    >

    > Input Composite Video, on an RCA connector Y/C (S-Video), on a 4-Pin
    > connector
    > NTSC and PAL Signals Supported
    >

    > Output Composite Video, on an RCA connector Y/C (S-Video), on a 4-Pin
    >
    > connector
    >

    > 2) Are they actually mean 4 connections ( two in, two out) : S-Video
    > 4-Pin 1394 ?
    >

    > 3) I have a Sony DRX 720 UL External DVD writer on my Win XT machine
    > that only has a 1394 Firewire or USB 2.0 connections. I''m assuming
    >
    > the
    > 1394 output is going to the DVD ?
    >

    > 4) My Sony DVD player/VCR recorder has S-Video out ..
    > But it is a DIN connector (Like a keyboard connector).
    > So I guess I need a S-Video to Firewire cable ?
    >

    > 5) One last question(s) !
    >

    > Duping VCR to DVD in this manner does not appear to provide
    > any visual or editing abilities .. Is that true ?The DVD came with Nero
    >
    > 6.2
    > but that appears that it is mostly for songs and data .. Not necessary
    >
    > video stream.
    >

    > 6) I quite haven't figured out this *ripping* terminology either.
    >

    > 7) How would I transfer VCR tape through a program to edit on a PC and
    > then to DVD ?
    >

    > This is all new to me ... excuse the stupid questions.
    >

    > Cheers.
    > Lost.

    1394 and S-Video are totally unrelated.

    It took me a while to figure out your list of connectors: bad
    punctuation.

    On the Sima (as I read your description of it) there are two connectors
    for composite video in and out, and there are two connectors for
    S-Video (which means separate video) in and out.

    Choose one pair and use it, i.e., either connect only the composite
    connectors or connect only the S-Video connectors. Don't connect one
    input to the other output (unless your documentation specifically says
    the Sima can convert).

    If your VCR output has an S-Video output and your PC has an S-Video
    input, choose that for better sharpness and color. Otherwise you have
    to use the slightly inferior composite connections.

    In both cases you need to connect the audio separately.

    By your description, it looks like your Sony DRX-720 can only connect
    to the computer, not the Sima or VCR, since it lacks A/V connectors.
    A/V connectors are the audio, composite, and S-Video terminals.

    The closest thing to an S-Video to FireWire connector is a computer :)
    Actually, some camcorders can do it, and there are separate analog to
    digital converters available as well; I was just having fun saying that
    .... and anyway, it's really not correct as I wrote it.

    Your descriptions are sufficiently confusing to me that I wonder if you
    have accurately reported your connections...If not, then you'll have to
    selectively ignore my statements above :)

    The full version of Nero is a very powerful program with lots of
    capabilities, but what you got with your hardware is probably a lite or
    OEM version, and I can't guess what's missing. My 6.x can do video, but
    I don't like some of its features in video (it's been a while, so don't
    ask me for details).

    HTH,
    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251

    Gene E. Bloch, May 23, 2006

  3. Thanks for the time.

    The punctuation came from online publications and
    it is still confusing ! I haven't seen one of these close up
    and in person ... so I'm just trying to piece together some
    information.

    Your point about missing audio link is excellent ! I didn't think
    S-Video included audio, and I know nothing about 1394.
    Since it is a digital stream .. Audio has to be in there somewhere ?

    I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get video DVD recorder
    that is a all in one unit ... It seems the most reliable solution
    in the long run. I use my PC DVD to create work related Data DVD's.

    Lost in the waste land, May 24, 2006
  4. On 5/24/2006, Lost in the waste land posted this:
    > Thanks for the time.
    >
    > The punctuation came from online publications and
    > it is still confusing ! I haven't seen one of these close up
    > and in person ... so I'm just trying to piece together some
    > information.
    >
    > Your point about missing audio link is excellent ! I didn't think
    > S-Video included audio, and I know nothing about 1394.
    > Since it is a digital stream .. Audio has to be in there somewhere ?
    >
    > I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get video DVD recorder
    > that is a all in one unit ... It seems the most reliable solution
    > in the long run. I use my PC DVD to create work related Data DVD's.

    You're right about the audio in the IEEE-1394. What's recorded on the
    tape is a digital file with the video and audio interleaved (well,
    they're in there together somehow, I don't know the details). Capturing
    via FireWire is not really capturing, it's just copying that file
    bit-by-bit to the computer, where it then gets put into a wrapper
    called AVI.

    So the video and audio are in there just like it was on the tape.
    Luckily our software then knows what to do with it & how to do it :)

    The best solution for you is what works best for you. I'm not saying
    that to be obvious, but to accentuate that no one knows you better than
    you do :) And I think a DVD recorder (with or without a hard drive) is
    a great solution.

    Of course, if you're like me, you'll change your mind later and buy
    more stuff - no matter what you decide to get for starters!

    HTH,
    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)