Setting up a new connection ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Love, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. David Love

    David Love Guest

    Hi!

    I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :

    "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    a different name."

    Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    message.

    Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    internet?

    David
    --
    David Love
    A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

    David Love, Jan 4, 2007

  2. David Love

    none Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319162

    none, Jan 4, 2007

  3. David Love wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    > a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    > configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    > name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >
    > "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    > character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    > a different name."
    >
    > Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    > message.
    >
    > Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    > overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    > internet?
    >
    > David
    > --
    > David Love
    > A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

    What went wrong is you signed him up with Xtra

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 4, 2007
  4. David Love

    Geopelia Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > David Love wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck a
    >> problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    >> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    >> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >>
    >> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    >> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose a
    >> different name."
    >>
    >> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error message.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to overcome
    >> the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the internet?
    >>
    >> David
    >> --
    >> David Love
    >> A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

    > What went wrong is you signed him up with Xtra

    Maybe they wanted it spelt xtra. (Sorry about the dumb suggestion)

    Geopelia, Jan 4, 2007
  5. On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:04:31 +1300, David Love wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    > a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    > configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    > name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >
    > "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    > character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    > a different name."
    >
    > Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    > message.
    >
    > Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    > overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    > internet?

    What "wizard configuration"?

    What operating system are you using?

    The error suggests that there is a field that is empty.

    Please provide further information.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    MS Windows Vista - broken by design
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 4, 2007
  6. David Love

    David Love Guest

    In message <459d5dd7$>
    none <""mcooper\"@(none)"> wrote:

    >> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    >> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    >> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    >> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >>
    >> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    >> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    >> a different name."

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319162

    Thanks for the web address. I went to it and downloaded the
    instructions. Follwed them but still the problem remains :-(
    Repeated the process three times and have not sunk into a state of
    "bl**d*" Windows.

    Can anybody suggest another way to solve this problem, please.

    David
    --
    David Love
    If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

    David Love, Jan 5, 2007
  7. Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 5, 2007
  8. David Love

    Enkidu Guest

    David Love wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    > a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    > configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    > name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >
    > "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    > character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    > a different name."
    >
    > Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    > message.
    >
    > Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    > overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    > internet?

    What is the operating system and what do you do to invoke the wizard,
    (eg, click "Start, then "programs", then.....)

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2007
  9. Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:23:13 +1300, David Love wrote:
    >
    >> Can anybody suggest another way to solve this problem, please.

    > Have you restarted the computer?

    Barracking for a job on Xtras help desk are we?

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 5, 2007
  10. David Love

    David Love Guest

    In message <459da93c$>
    Dianthus Mimulus <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:23:13 +1300, David Love wrote:
    >
    >> Can anybody suggest another way to solve this problem, please.

    > Have you restarted the computer?

    Yes. Doesn't one have to do that every time one moves the mouse :)

    David
    --
    David Love
    It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a

    David Love, Jan 5, 2007
  11. David Love

    David Love Guest

    In message <>
    Dianthus Mimulus <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:04:31 +1300, David Love wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    >> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    >> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    >> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >>
    >> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    >> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    >> a different name."
    >>
    >> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    >> message.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    >> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    >> internet?

    > What "wizard configuration"?

    Network New Connection

    > What operating system are you using?

    Windows 2000 Professional

    > The error suggests that there is a field that is empty.

    During the course of the installation a message states that Network
    configuration is being done.

    > Please provide further information.

    See above

    David
    --
    David Love
    Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep 'till noon.

    David Love, Jan 5, 2007
  12. David Love

    David Love Guest

    In message <>
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > David Love wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    >> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    >> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    >> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >>
    >> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    >> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    >> a different name."
    >>
    >> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    >> message.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    >> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    >> internet?
    >>

    > What is the operating system and what do you do to invoke the wizard,
    > (eg, click "Start, then "programs", then.....)

    Yeah! Start - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections - click
    on New Connection. The "Wizard" starts and it should all be plain
    sailing from there. Well, it is, until I get the error message.

    Since my last plea for help, I've gone through the process again and
    again and again ... but the problem is still with me. Time for a
    stiff whisky :)

    David
    --
    David Love
    Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery.

    David Love, Jan 5, 2007
  13. David Love

    Bobs Guest

    David Love wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    > a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    > configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    > name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >
    > "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    > character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    > a different name."
    >
    > Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    > message.
    >
    > Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    > overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    > internet?

    Just copy and paste it.

    i.e Create a text file, type in Xtra, then copy and paste it into the
    wizard text field.

    Bobs, Jan 5, 2007
  14. David Love

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > In message <>
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    > > David Love wrote:
    > >> Hi!
    > >>
    > >> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    > >> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    > >> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    > >> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    > >>
    > >> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    > >> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    > >> a different name."
    > >>
    > >> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    > >> message.
    > >>
    > >> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    > >> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    > >> internet?
    > >>

    > > What is the operating system and what do you do to invoke the wizard,
    > > (eg, click "Start, then "programs", then.....)

    > Yeah! Start - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections - click
    > on New Connection. The "Wizard" starts and it should all be plain
    > sailing from there. Well, it is, until I get the error message.
    >
    > Since my last plea for help, I've gone through the process again and
    > again and again ... but the problem is still with me. Time for a
    > stiff whisky :)

    What field is causing the problem? (ie whereabouts in the wizard).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 5, 2007
  15. David Love

    David Love Guest

    In message <>
    "Bobs" <> wrote:

    > David Love wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    >> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    >> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    >> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >>
    >> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    >> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    >> a different name."
    >>
    >> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    >> message.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    >> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    >> internet?

    > Just copy and paste it.
    >
    > i.e Create a text file, type in Xtra, then copy and paste it into the
    > wizard text field.

    Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't resolve the issue. The error
    message still appears. Time for another whisky, methinks!

    David
    --
    David Love
    Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them.

    David Love, Jan 5, 2007
  16. David Love

    Enkidu Guest

    David Love wrote:
    > In message <>
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> David Love wrote:
    >>> Hi!
    >>>
    >>> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    >>> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    >>> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    >>> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >>>
    >>> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    >>> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    >>> a different name."
    >>>
    >>> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    >>> message.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    >>> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    >>> internet?
    >>>

    >> What is the operating system and what do you do to invoke the wizard,
    >> (eg, click "Start, then "programs", then.....)

    > Yeah! Start - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections - click
    > on New Connection. The "Wizard" starts and it should all be plain
    > sailing from there. Well, it is, until I get the error message.

    Um, no, for instance the first page that pops up has five options on it.

    I'm assuming that you chose the "Setup or change your Internet
    connection" option. At a later stage you are offered the options "Choose
    from a list of ISP providers" or "Set up my connection manually" or "Use
    the CD I got from an ISP".

    What is the title of the Window that pops up and has the error? Have you
    gone through the "install a modem" stage? Have you downloaded a list of
    ISPs? Please give as much detail as you can, step by step. I'm assuming
    XP Home here. Am I correct? I'm assuming a modem connection. Is this
    right? You'll have to help us to help you!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2007
  17. David Love

    David Love Guest

    In message <>
    Dave Doe <> wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    >> In message <>

    >> > What is the operating system and what do you do to invoke the wizard,
    >> > (eg, click "Start, then "programs", then.....)

    >> Yeah! Start - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections - click
    >> on New Connection. The "Wizard" starts and it should all be plain
    >> sailing from there. Well, it is, until I get the error message.
    >>
    >> Since my last plea for help, I've gone through the process again and
    >> again and again ... but the problem is still with me. Time for a
    >> stiff whisky :)

    > What field is causing the problem? (ie whereabouts in the wizard).

    The dialogue box entitled "Internet Connection. Step 3 of 3.
    Configuring Your computer". The field itself is entitled "Connection
    name."

    David
    --
    David Love
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is

    David Love, Jan 5, 2007
  18. David Love

    Enkidu Guest

    David Love wrote:
    > In message <>
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> David Love wrote:
    >>> Hi!
    >>>
    >>> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    >>> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    >>> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    >>> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >>>
    >>> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    >>> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    >>> a different name."
    >>>
    >>> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    >>> message.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    >>> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    >>> internet?
    >>>

    >> What is the operating system and what do you do to invoke the wizard,
    >> (eg, click "Start, then "programs", then.....)

    > Yeah! Start - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections - click
    > on New Connection. The "Wizard" starts and it should all be plain
    > sailing from there. Well, it is, until I get the error message.

    I've tried to follow what you have been doing on a test system I have
    here. It's XP Pro, not XP Home, but it shouldn't make a lot of
    difference. I get to a window called "connection name" where it asks for
    the name for the connection. It actually labels the field "ISP name".
    I type 'Xtra' in there and it works. If I type ".Xtra" it produces a
    message slightly different to yours: "The entry name begins with a
    period. or contains some invalid characters. Choose a different name".
    Interestingly it will let me choose a blank name.

    You do not say if you have XP and if so what Service Pack it is at. I'd
    suggest that if you have 'vanilla' XP that you acquire and install SP2.
    I understand that you can't download it on that machine, but you should
    be able to download it from another.

    One other thing to try is to see that you don't have any "shift" keys
    pressed. You could also try backspacing in the field in case there are
    'invisible' characters in there.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2007
  19. David Love

    Enkidu Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > David Love wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
    >> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
    >> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
    >> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
    >>
    >> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
    >> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
    >> a different name."
    >>
    >> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
    >> message.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
    >> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
    >> internet?

    > Just copy and paste it.
    >
    > i.e Create a text file, type in Xtra, then copy and paste it into the
    > wizard text field.

    That'll work if he first selects any junk that might be in there, eg
    invisible chars. Good idea.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2007
  20. David Love

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > In message <>
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, says...

    > >> Yeah! Start - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections - click
    > >> on New Connection. The "Wizard" starts and it should all be plain
    > >> sailing from there. Well, it is, until I get the error message.
    > >>
    > >> Since my last plea for help, I've gone through the process again and
    > >> again and again ... but the problem is still with me. Time for a
    > >> stiff whisky :)

    > > What field is causing the problem? (ie whereabouts in the wizard).
    > >

    > The dialogue box entitled "Internet Connection. Step 3 of 3.
    > Configuring Your computer". The field itself is entitled "Connection
    > name."

    OK. In the "Network and Dial-up Connections" dialog, do you have a
    network card present (a LAN connection)?

    If so, why not configure it manually - as the defaults are probably good
    to go (given it is probably set to obtain an IP automatically, which it
    should get from the DHCP server on the ADSL modem).

    You can check this by typing
    ipconfig /all

    ....from a command prompt. It would be good if you can post that info
    back here (the results of your 'ipconfig /all').

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 5, 2007