Setting up a Network -- Wired or Wireless?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by shopzero.net, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. shopzero.net

    shopzero.net Guest

    http://shopzero.net/article/hardware/1615.php

    To Wire or Not to Wire

    Wireless networks are en vogue, but your installation won't be
    successful unless you chose the right type of network and set it up
    properly. Wired networks require that each computer be connected via a
    wire to a central location, called a switch or hub. This often involves
    installing cables through walls and ceilings and can present a
    challenge for anyone.

    If the computers in your home or office are all within 500 feet of each
    other, a wireless network might be for you. A wireless network has no
    cables. It can connect computers on different floors of a building or
    even across the street. Aside from the obvious benefit of not having
    wires, wireless networks are more convenient since the setup,
    configuration, and reconfiguration can often be done within minutes,
    without extensive planning.

    Wireless networks, however, are not as fast as wired networks. If you
    play computer games or want to view streaming video or other high-speed
    multimedia, a wireless network might not have enough capacity. But, if
    you just want to check e-mail and view web pages, a wireless network is
    a good choice. To install a wireless network, you need a Wireless
    Access Point and a wireless network card for each computer. You will
    need to buy a wireless network card for each desktop computer, although
    most newer laptops come equipped with one.

    Security is not a large concern in a wired network, since someone would
    have to physically connect to a wired network to break in. In wireless
    networks, a car parked outside with a laptop could easily connect to
    your network if you don't have proper security in place. To prevent
    this from happening, encrypt your wireless network connections, or set
    a password to access the network, or do both.

    Do It Yourself or Call a Professional?
    If you decide to use a wired network, consider whether you will install
    it yourself or hire a professional. If you have a small number of
    computers that are all situated very close to one another, you may be
    able to buy pre-assembled network cables and connect them yourself. If
    you need to wire multiple floors and lay wire through ceilings and
    walls, you need a professional installation. If you go this route, it
    is best to begin with a floor plan of your office or home, determine
    what your current needs are, and consider how the network design can be
    adapted to future needs. A professional installer should be familiar
    with EIA/TIA standards, local wiring and electrical codes, and making
    custom cables. Network cabling professionals are often judged by the
    neatness of their work, because sloppy cabling is more apt to
    deteriorate over time, harder to manage, and poses more of a fire risk.

    Having a wireless network or a wired network is not mutually exclusive.
    Many small offices have a wired network in addition to one or more
    wireless networks, depending on their needs. Wireless networks are
    continuing to get faster, more secure, and less expensive. Wired
    networks will continue to coexist with wireless networks, often in the
    same homes and offices.

    http://shopzero.net/article/hardware/1615.php
    shopzero.net, Jul 24, 2006

  2. shopzero.net

    Impmon Guest

    On 23 Jul 2006 22:01:09 -0700, "shopzero.net" <>
    wrote:

    >Wireless networks, however, are not as fast as wired networks. If you
    >play computer games or want to view streaming video or other high-speed
    >multimedia, a wireless network might not have enough capacity.

    I have 54 Mbit setup and there's no sign of slowdown on streaming
    videos to multiple computers. A cheaper 802.11b is limited to 10Mbit
    and should be ok for web based videos and online games since cables
    and DSL rarely go past 10mbit anyway.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
    Impmon, Jul 24, 2006