    and my wireless laptop running Windows XP Pro so that the laptop can use the
    printer and scanner attached to the desktop. How do I do this?

    Thanks in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5uaWNl?=, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Can't use a scanner over a network unless you purchased a very expensive one
    with that specific feature. You can share files and printers, but not
    programs or scanners.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Aug 15, 2004

  3. The cheaspest way is to ignore 'wireless': but this imposes limitation on the
    length of the cable between laptop and desktop computers. If you have an
    Ethernet Adapter in the Desktop PC, then buy a crossover cable and plug it
    into the ethernet socket on the laptop [ just about every laptop has one of
    these ]. If not buy the Ethernet adapter [costs less than $10].

    If you want the freedom and exposure to neighbours' laptops, you can use the
    wireless on the laptop and buy a wirless card for the desktop.

    The D-Link DWL-520+ is a PCI adapter that you can install quickly and easily
    into your desktop PC. And all D-Link wireless adapters can be used in ad-hoc
    mode to connect directly with other wireless adapters or in infrastructure
    mode to connect with a wireless access point for access to the Internet in
    your office or home network.

    The ad-hoc mode means a point-to-point connection between the two computers.

    The Windows Network Setup Wizard will guide you through the setup of your
    'little' network.

    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=, Aug 15, 2004