    Thanks.

    --
    Mark Thompson

    Mark, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Mark

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in news:KXRlb.5636$VQ3.413687
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    > I'm trying to set up a 100Mbps lan for home.
    >
    > It's 3 systems plus a server. I have a router and hub as well.

    Why do you need a hub? If you got like 10 machines you'll need a hub
    connect to the router's UPLINK Port. If you got a four port router and
    four machines, you don't need the hub.

    > How do I go about changing a 10Mbps lan to a 100Mbps lan?

    Most network cards on computers are installed at 100 mbps. Some cards
    have a 10 mbps/100 mbps switch which can be configured for one speed or
    the other. But most people just leave it alone and a let the NIC switch
    on it's own based on the speed being received.

    The cable modem, if that's what you're using, should be coming in at 100
    mbps and the router connected to the modem is going to adjust accordingly
    as it can switch between the two. The router can also adjust its port
    speed for each port based on the speed of the NIC connected to it. If you
    have a hub that's 10 mpbs and cannot switch, then the machine connected
    to it will be 10 mbps.

    HTH

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Problem solved.
    Thanks, Duane

    Mark, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Mark

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote in

    > The cable modem, if that's what you're using, should be coming in at
    > 100 mbps and the router connected to the modem is going to adjust
    > accordingly as it can switch between the two. The router can also

    That's not always true. I've owned and seen quite a few cable modems that
    were not 100mbps.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Mark

    Thor Guest

    Many of the cable modems I've seen around here are 10mbps. Cheaper for the
    cable company to use I suppose. It's not like 10mbps is limiting the cable
    modem's throughput anyway.

    Thor, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Turns out it was the hub that was slowing it down. We went to an 8 port
    switch. Though I think our web connection is still only 10mbps we at least
    get a much faster local LAN.

    Mark, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Mark

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in

    > Turns out it was the hub that was slowing it down. We went to an 8
    > port switch. Though I think our web connection is still only 10mbps we
    > at least get a much faster local LAN.

    If you had a cable modem with a 100mbps or even a gigabit ethernet
    connection, you wouldn't notice a difference, as you are probably only
    getting 1.5 mbps at best from your cable, nothing even near 10mbps.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 24, 2003