    one is wired the other is wireless. how can I get them to see each other on
    the network so I can share files and the printer? They have the same
    "workgroup" but they do not see each other. What do I need to do?

    mark, Mar 6, 2009

  2. mark

    Gordon Guest

    "Tom E" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > disable ALL Firewalls and security software's on both comps.

    Rubbish. I've NEVER had to do that....

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Mar 6, 2009

  3. mark

    Gordon Guest

    "mark" <> wrote in message
    >I have two computers, they both hook up to a router to go to the internet,
    > one is wired the other is wireless. how can I get them to see each other
    > on
    > the network so I can share files and the printer? They have the same
    > "workgroup" but they do not see each other. What do I need to do?

    Run the New Network utility on both machines.
    You may need to re-boot.

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Mar 6, 2009
  4. "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "Tom E" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> disable ALL Firewalls and security software's on both comps.

    > Rubbish. I've NEVER had to do that....

    snip

    Then it is your security software that is 'rubbish'. Unless you
    specifically set security software (firewalls) to allow 'networking' then
    incoming and outgoing communications are blocked. Tom E's advice is
    perfectly sound.

    Edward W. Thompson, Mar 7, 2009
  5. mark

    Gordon Guest

    "Edward W. Thompson" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> "Tom E" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> disable ALL Firewalls and security software's on both comps.

    >> Rubbish. I've NEVER had to do that....
    >>

    > snip
    >
    > Then it is your security software that is 'rubbish'. Unless you
    > specifically set security software (firewalls) to allow 'networking' then
    > incoming and outgoing communications are blocked. Tom E's advice is
    > perfectly sound.

    You don't need to edit the firewall settings AT ALL. The Windows Firewall is
    automatically configured to allow LAN connections.
    And my security is NOT rubbish, I've never been hacked in my life.
    Using the built-in Windows firewall behind a NATS router is perfectly
    adequate security.
    You obviously are either completely paranoid or don't know what you are
    talking about, or both.

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Mar 7, 2009
  6. mark

    Gordon Guest

    "Tom E" <> wrote in message

    > "Edward W. Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Tom E" <> wrote in message

    >>> Rubbish. I've NEVER had to do that....
    >>>

    >> snip
    >> Then it is your security software that is 'rubbish'. Unless you
    >> specifically set security software (firewalls) to allow 'networking' then
    >> incoming and outgoing communications are blocked. Tom E's advice is
    >> perfectly sound.
    >>

    > thank you Ed.....I did get a little peed off with his statement. I have
    > always had to adjust Windows Firewall, Norton or Kaspersky in one way or
    > another to permit sharing.

    Well I have NOT. EVER. Windows Firewall is AUTOMATICALLY configured for LAN
    access if you just run the New Network wizard.
    If you run third party firewall apps (and IMHO as a recently retired Systems
    Accountant you don't need to if you run behind a NATS router) then yes you
    do need to. Your choice.

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Mar 7, 2009
  7. mark

    Gordon Guest

    "Tom E" <> wrote in message

    > "mark" <> wrote in message
    >>I have two computers, they both hook up to a router to go to the internet,
    >> one is wired the other is wireless. how can I get them to see each other
    >> on
    >> the network so I can share files and the printer? They have the same
    >> "workgroup" but they do not see each other. What do I need to do?
    >>

    > 1. Ignore Gordon, he is full of NATS P.

    Got your foil hat on today?

    > 2. http://support.microsoft.com:80/?kbid=318030

    Hoist by your own petard. That KB article does NOT say "disable the
    firewall".
    And in fact the New Network wizard does what that KB says using a GUI.

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Mar 9, 2009
  8. mark

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    If the two computers can use the Internet through the Router then you need
    to configure File and Printer Sharing and you would have a LAN.
    Firewall instructions).
    Even if you switch the Firewalls Off, make sure that the Trusted Zone and
    exceptions are configured correctly.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#trusted
    Make sure that what you are trying to share in Vista is indeed is sharable.
    Some folders for security reason would not share.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357