Setting up a home network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by john, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. john

    john Guest

    Hi,

    I have win xp

    Here is the diagram

    internet

    router

    ---------computer 1

    computer 2----printer

    How would I set up a wired home network that would enable both computers to
    share files and printers?

    I've tried using the wizards but I think i've messed it up or did not choose
    a correct setting as the home networks never came to exist.

    both computers have winxp

    one has zonealarm and the other has norton internet security

    currently, both computers have access to the internet using the above
    diagram, just no file sharing and printer sharing functions

    thanks,
    chuck
    john, Aug 3, 2005

  2. john

    john Guest

    I have win xp home

    thanks,
    chuck

    john, Aug 3, 2005

  3. john

    Duane Arnold Guest

    john wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have win xp
    >
    > Here is the diagram
    >
    > internet
    > |

    > router
    > |

    > ---------computer 1
    > |

    > computer 2----printer
    >

    > How would I set up a wired home network that would enable both computers
    > to share files and printers?
    >
    > I've tried using the wizards but I think i've messed it up or did not
    > choose a correct setting as the home networks never came to exist.
    >
    > both computers have winxp
    >
    > one has zonealarm and the other has norton internet security
    >
    > currently, both computers have access to the internet using the above
    > diagram, just no file sharing and printer sharing functions

    The personal FW(s) are blocking the Windows Networking ports and you need to
    set the rules on the PFW(s) to open the ports.

    http://www.petri.co.il/what's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

    I suggest that you disable the PFW(s) and then make sure things are working
    with the networking before enabling them again and setting PFW(s) to allow
    networking.

    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 3, 2005