Setting up a basic wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by rfdjr1@optonline.net, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm hoping someone can walk me through this in a simple manner. Here's what I
    have:

    A desktop, connected by cable to a Linksys wireless router, which is hooked to a
    cable modem.

    A fully wireless laptop, which gets a good signal from the wireless router, so I
    know that part of the wireless connection is working.

    I want to wirelessly connect the two computers so I can transfer files from the
    desktop to the laptop.

    I've been playing with this for a week-an-a-half and getting nowhere.

    Is there a simple, step-by-step explanation of how to do this? I've tried the
    Network Connection Wizard with no luck. At least I don't think I've had any
    luck. I can't see files from one computer to the other.

    I'm using Windows XP on both the desktop and the laptop.

    How do I know if I successfully setup a network, and if I did, how do I access
    the files on the desktop from the laptop?

    Thanks for any help.
     
    , Oct 17, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm hoping someone can walk me through this in a simple manner. Here's
    > what I have:
    >
    > A desktop, connected by cable to a Linksys wireless router, which is
    > hooked to a cable modem.
    >
    > A fully wireless laptop, which gets a good signal from the wireless
    > router, so I know that part of the wireless connection is working.
    >
    > I want to wirelessly connect the two computers so I can transfer files
    > from the desktop to the laptop.
    >
    > I've been playing with this for a week-an-a-half and getting nowhere.
    >
    > Is there a simple, step-by-step explanation of how to do this? I've
    > tried the Network Connection Wizard with no luck. At least I don't
    > think I've had any luck. I can't see files from one computer to the
    > other.
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP on both the desktop and the laptop.
    >
    > How do I know if I successfully setup a network, and if I did, how do
    > I access the files on the desktop from the laptop?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.


    This really doesn't have anything to do with wireless. You are trying to
    set up a home network for file and printer sharing - at least I assume
    that's what you are trying to do. From your post, I assume the Internet
    works on both machines since you say "that part of the wireless
    connection is working". If the assumption is wrong, post back with what
    is actually happening.

    Making a local area network (lan) is easy. Here are a few simple steps,
    followed by links to help you:

    1. Properly configure your firewall to allow lan traffic as trusted. If
    you are using a third-party firewall (or have an antivirus such as
    Norton that includes Internet Worm Protection), make sure the Windows
    Firewall is off. If you are only using the Windows Firewall (which is
    fine), make sure you put a checkmark in the box to allow File & Printer
    Sharing on the Exceptions tab.

    2. Make sure Simple Sharing is consistent on all machines. See Folder
    Options>View to find the Simple Sharing option on XP Pro. Home uses
    this by default so if both machines are Home, you have nothing to do
    there. If machines are Pro with Simple Sharing off, make identical user
    accounts/passwords on both machines.

    3. Share desired resources by right-clicking on the item (such as a
    directory) and using the Sharing option. XP Home cannot share out
    users' home directories (My Documents) or Program Files so put files to
    be shared in the Shared Documents folder instead.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
    (Pro)
    http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm

    If after trying the above and examining information at the links you
    still have problems, have a computer professional set you up.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Malke, Oct 17, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:35:15 -0700, Malke <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm hoping someone can walk me through this in a simple manner. Here's
    >> what I have:
    >>
    >> A desktop, connected by cable to a Linksys wireless router, which is
    >> hooked to a cable modem.
    >>
    >> A fully wireless laptop, which gets a good signal from the wireless
    >> router, so I know that part of the wireless connection is working.
    >>
    >> I want to wirelessly connect the two computers so I can transfer files
    >> from the desktop to the laptop.
    >>
    >> I've been playing with this for a week-an-a-half and getting nowhere.
    >>
    >> Is there a simple, step-by-step explanation of how to do this? I've
    >> tried the Network Connection Wizard with no luck. At least I don't
    >> think I've had any luck. I can't see files from one computer to the
    >> other.
    >>
    >> I'm using Windows XP on both the desktop and the laptop.
    >>
    >> How do I know if I successfully setup a network, and if I did, how do
    >> I access the files on the desktop from the laptop?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    >
    >This really doesn't have anything to do with wireless. You are trying to
    >set up a home network for file and printer sharing - at least I assume
    >that's what you are trying to do. From your post, I assume the Internet
    >works on both machines since you say "that part of the wireless
    >connection is working". If the assumption is wrong, post back with what
    >is actually happening.
    >
    >Making a local area network (lan) is easy. Here are a few simple steps,
    >followed by links to help you:
    >
    >1. Properly configure your firewall to allow lan traffic as trusted. If
    >you are using a third-party firewall (or have an antivirus such as
    >Norton that includes Internet Worm Protection), make sure the Windows
    >Firewall is off. If you are only using the Windows Firewall (which is
    >fine), make sure you put a checkmark in the box to allow File & Printer
    >Sharing on the Exceptions tab.
    >
    >2. Make sure Simple Sharing is consistent on all machines. See Folder
    >Options>View to find the Simple Sharing option on XP Pro. Home uses
    >this by default so if both machines are Home, you have nothing to do
    >there. If machines are Pro with Simple Sharing off, make identical user
    >accounts/passwords on both machines.
    >
    >3. Share desired resources by right-clicking on the item (such as a
    >directory) and using the Sharing option. XP Home cannot share out
    >users' home directories (My Documents) or Program Files so put files to
    >be shared in the Shared Documents folder instead.
    >
    >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
    >(Pro)
    >http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
    >
    >If after trying the above and examining information at the links you
    >still have problems, have a computer professional set you up.
    >
    >Good luck,
    >
    >Malke


    Thanks for taking the time to reply. To answer your first question, all I want
    to do is transfer files from my desktop to my new laptop. And most of what I
    want to transfer are mp3 music files, but there are quite a lot of them. I
    realize I can burn them to CD or DVD and load them into the laptop, but I want
    to learn how to set it up for a transfer and have had no luck at all.

    Before I just read your reply, I went through the Network Setup Wizard on each
    machine, having turned off all firewalls, and from the looks of things, I was
    successful on each machine setting up a network. However, when I next ran the
    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my desktop, I go to a certain point and it
    said it couldn't locate my new computer. SO i"m still at a loss. Even when it
    looks like the wizards worked on each machine, they apparently still aren't
    communicating with each other.
     
    , Oct 17, 2005
    #3
  4. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to reply. To answer your first question,
    > all I want to do is transfer files from my desktop to my new laptop.
    > And most of what I want to transfer are mp3 music files, but there are
    > quite a lot of them. I realize I can burn them to CD or DVD and load
    > them into the laptop, but I want to learn how to set it up for a
    > transfer and have had no luck at all.
    >
    > Before I just read your reply, I went through the Network Setup Wizard
    > on each machine, having turned off all firewalls, and from the looks
    > of things, I was successful on each machine setting up a network.
    > However, when I next ran the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my
    > desktop, I go to a certain point and it said it couldn't locate my new
    > computer. SO i"m still at a loss. Even when it looks like the wizards
    > worked on each machine, they apparently still aren't communicating
    > with each other.


    Why are you bothering with the Files & Transfer Wizard? You've got a
    network set u; simply use My Network Places or Search>Computer on the
    network>Computer name and find the shared folder(s) on the other
    machine. Then right-click/drag selected files from one machine to the
    other. When you let go of the right mouse button, choose "Copy" from
    the context menu. Do *not* choose "Move" because if something goes
    wrong, you will lose the data. Tip: don't try and move too many files
    at a time; Windows seems to have difficulties in copying huge amounts
    of data in one go.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Malke, Oct 17, 2005
    #4
  5. Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 06:56:22 -0700, Malke <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Thanks for taking the time to reply. To answer your first question,
    >> all I want to do is transfer files from my desktop to my new laptop.
    >> And most of what I want to transfer are mp3 music files, but there are
    >> quite a lot of them. I realize I can burn them to CD or DVD and load
    >> them into the laptop, but I want to learn how to set it up for a
    >> transfer and have had no luck at all.
    >>
    >> Before I just read your reply, I went through the Network Setup Wizard
    >> on each machine, having turned off all firewalls, and from the looks
    >> of things, I was successful on each machine setting up a network.
    >> However, when I next ran the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my
    >> desktop, I go to a certain point and it said it couldn't locate my new
    >> computer. SO i"m still at a loss. Even when it looks like the wizards
    >> worked on each machine, they apparently still aren't communicating
    >> with each other.

    >
    >Why are you bothering with the Files & Transfer Wizard? You've got a
    >network set u; simply use My Network Places or Search>Computer on the
    >network>Computer name and find the shared folder(s) on the other
    >machine. Then right-click/drag selected files from one machine to the
    >other. When you let go of the right mouse button, choose "Copy" from
    >the context menu. Do *not* choose "Move" because if something goes
    >wrong, you will lose the data. Tip: don't try and move too many files
    >at a time; Windows seems to have difficulties in copying huge amounts
    >of data in one go.
    >
    >Malke

    Thanks. I started with the wizards because I though their job was to simplify
    things. I proved myself wrong. As for your other suggestions, I'm so new at
    this, I don't/didn't know anything about file sharing or even how to find the
    files on the other computer if I did get a connection between the two. I'm glad
    you mentioned not transferring too many files at once. I was going to try and
    copy a couple of folders with several thousand files in them. If I ever get this
    working, I know now to do a handful at a time (a few hundred at a time anyway, I
    hope). Still playing with it trying to see the computers recognizing each other.
     
    , Oct 18, 2005
    #5
  6. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    >>Why are you bothering with the Files & Transfer Wizard? You've got a
    >>network set u; simply use My Network Places or Search>Computer on the
    >>network>Computer name and find the shared folder(s) on the other
    >>machine. Then right-click/drag selected files from one machine to the
    >>other. When you let go of the right mouse button, choose "Copy" from
    >>the context menu. Do *not* choose "Move" because if something goes
    >>wrong, you will lose the data. Tip: don't try and move too many files
    >>at a time; Windows seems to have difficulties in copying huge amounts
    >>of data in one go.
    >>
    >>Malke

    > Thanks. I started with the wizards because I though their job was to
    > simplify things. I proved myself wrong. As for your other suggestions,
    > I'm so new at this, I don't/didn't know anything about file sharing or
    > even how to find the files on the other computer if I did get a
    > connection between the two. I'm glad you mentioned not transferring
    > too many files at once. I was going to try and copy a couple of
    > folders with several thousand files in them. If I ever get this
    > working, I know now to do a handful at a time (a few hundred at a time
    > anyway, I hope). Still playing with it trying to see the computers
    > recognizing each other.


    Do yourself a favor - have a knowledgeable friend (someone who is
    *really* knowledgeable; not someone who just *thinks* he is) come over
    and set you up and show you how to transfer the files. Or have a
    computer professional come and do it for you. I do this sort of thing
    for my clients all the time. A little training goes a long way to make
    you more productive and your time on the computer more pleasant.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Malke, Oct 18, 2005
    #6
  7. Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:05:05 -0700, Malke <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>>Why are you bothering with the Files & Transfer Wizard? You've got a
    >>>network set u; simply use My Network Places or Search>Computer on the
    >>>network>Computer name and find the shared folder(s) on the other
    >>>machine. Then right-click/drag selected files from one machine to the
    >>>other. When you let go of the right mouse button, choose "Copy" from
    >>>the context menu. Do *not* choose "Move" because if something goes
    >>>wrong, you will lose the data. Tip: don't try and move too many files
    >>>at a time; Windows seems to have difficulties in copying huge amounts
    >>>of data in one go.
    >>>
    >>>Malke

    >> Thanks. I started with the wizards because I though their job was to
    >> simplify things. I proved myself wrong. As for your other suggestions,
    >> I'm so new at this, I don't/didn't know anything about file sharing or
    >> even how to find the files on the other computer if I did get a
    >> connection between the two. I'm glad you mentioned not transferring
    >> too many files at once. I was going to try and copy a couple of
    >> folders with several thousand files in them. If I ever get this
    >> working, I know now to do a handful at a time (a few hundred at a time
    >> anyway, I hope). Still playing with it trying to see the computers
    >> recognizing each other.

    >
    >Do yourself a favor - have a knowledgeable friend (someone who is
    >*really* knowledgeable; not someone who just *thinks* he is) come over
    >and set you up and show you how to transfer the files. Or have a
    >computer professional come and do it for you. I do this sort of thing
    >for my clients all the time. A little training goes a long way to make
    >you more productive and your time on the computer more pleasant.
    >
    >Good luck,
    >

    Thanks. I'll probably just burn them to DVD and load them into the laptop that
    way if I can't get it to work. I've built my last three computers from scratch,
    troubleshoot and fix friends and familys computers, and actually have a degree
    in computer science, albeit which concentrated in programming. I also write and
    run four websites, so I'm computer literate. So this has become a personal
    challenge to me, and I want to learn it. I can't understand why something,
    that's on the face of it should be so easy, is vexing me the way this is. I
    usually pick things up quick, but it's not happening with this networking.
    Thanks again. (Then there's always Networking for Dummies!)
     
    , Oct 18, 2005
    #7
  8. Hello,

    I was wondering if you got to the bottom of this. I am trying to use the
    Files and Settings Transfer wizzard to set up my new computer with my older
    computer's settings. Even though my wireless network is working properly, the
    wizzard cannot detect the new computer. This seems to be the same problem you
    encountered 2 months ago. I don't want to "click and drag" as I am not sure
    where to store each setting. There is a way of transfering the files in the
    shared docs portion of the new pc but then I am back with the same problem of
    where to save to.

    The short question is did you solve the problem? If so, would you be kind
    enough to let me know how?

    Thanks,

    Marc.

    "" wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:05:05 -0700, Malke <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>>Why are you bothering with the Files & Transfer Wizard? You've got a
    > >>>network set u; simply use My Network Places or Search>Computer on the
    > >>>network>Computer name and find the shared folder(s) on the other
    > >>>machine. Then right-click/drag selected files from one machine to the
    > >>>other. When you let go of the right mouse button, choose "Copy" from
    > >>>the context menu. Do *not* choose "Move" because if something goes
    > >>>wrong, you will lose the data. Tip: don't try and move too many files
    > >>>at a time; Windows seems to have difficulties in copying huge amounts
    > >>>of data in one go.
    > >>>
    > >>>Malke
    > >> Thanks. I started with the wizards because I though their job was to
    > >> simplify things. I proved myself wrong. As for your other suggestions,
    > >> I'm so new at this, I don't/didn't know anything about file sharing or
    > >> even how to find the files on the other computer if I did get a
    > >> connection between the two. I'm glad you mentioned not transferring
    > >> too many files at once. I was going to try and copy a couple of
    > >> folders with several thousand files in them. If I ever get this
    > >> working, I know now to do a handful at a time (a few hundred at a time
    > >> anyway, I hope). Still playing with it trying to see the computers
    > >> recognizing each other.

    > >
    > >Do yourself a favor - have a knowledgeable friend (someone who is
    > >*really* knowledgeable; not someone who just *thinks* he is) come over
    > >and set you up and show you how to transfer the files. Or have a
    > >computer professional come and do it for you. I do this sort of thing
    > >for my clients all the time. A little training goes a long way to make
    > >you more productive and your time on the computer more pleasant.
    > >
    > >Good luck,
    > >

    > Thanks. I'll probably just burn them to DVD and load them into the laptop that
    > way if I can't get it to work. I've built my last three computers from scratch,
    > troubleshoot and fix friends and familys computers, and actually have a degree
    > in computer science, albeit which concentrated in programming. I also write and
    > run four websites, so I'm computer literate. So this has become a personal
    > challenge to me, and I want to learn it. I can't understand why something,
    > that's on the face of it should be so easy, is vexing me the way this is. I
    > usually pick things up quick, but it's not happening with this networking.
    > Thanks again. (Then there's always Networking for Dummies!)
    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYw==?=, Dec 17, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    Basic skills needed for wireless network set-up?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jan 8, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,087
    mikeFNB
    Jan 9, 2005
  2. Jaime
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    557
    Jaime
    Sep 20, 2003
  3. Jimmy Dean
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,103
    Duane Arnold
    Jul 25, 2005
  4. John

    Quality Setting in Epson R200 - Setting your own?

    John, Jan 24, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    432
  5. Sharp Dressed Man

    TurboTax Basic vs. Taxcut Basic?

    Sharp Dressed Man, Jan 10, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    676
    Sharp Dressed Man
    Jan 12, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page