    seems that for example the recycle bin will open in a small window and then
    after I maximize it the window will open maximized for awhile. Then
    probably something triggers it to open in a small window again.

    Bud Light, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Bud Light

    °Mike° Guest

    View / Folder Options / View.
    Check: 'Remember each folder's view settings'.

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:49:13 -0500, in
    <>
    Bud Light scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2004

  3. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    Yup....got that already set but still have the same issue. Sometimes
    folders will open full size, other times it'll open 3/4 size which forces me
    to click the maximize button.

    Bud Light, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Bud Light

    Old Gringo Guest

    Bud Light wrote:
    > Yup....got that already set but still have the same issue. Sometimes
    > folders will open full size, other times it'll open 3/4 size which forces me
    > to click the maximize button.
    >

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>View / Folder Options / View.
    >>Check: 'Remember each folder's view settings'.
    >>

    >>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:49:13 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> Bud Light scrawled:
    >>

    >>>Is there a setting in Windows where I can open folders at maximum size?

    > It
    >
    >>>seems that for example the recycle bin will open in a small window and

    > then
    >
    >>>after I maximize it the window will open maximized for awhile. Then
    >>>probably something triggers it to open in a small window again.
    >>>

    >>--
    >>Basic computer maintenance
    >>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    Quick check: If you have all other windows closed, window of choice
    opens in full/max. mode. If you have other windows open, window of
    choice opens in smaller mode? Normal :)

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Dec 19, 2004
  5. Bud Light

    °Mike° Guest

    You have not mentioned what version of Windows you
    have, so I'll give you a fix based on Windows XP. The
    problem is that Windows only remembers 400 folders
    by default (200 local and 200 network). You can increase
    this by adding the following to your registry, so open
    your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) and navigate
    to the following:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    +Software
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +Shell

    Highlight the 'Shell' key and right click inside
    the right hand window. Choose 'New / DWORD'
    and name it "BagMRU Size" without the quotes.
    Right click the new entry and modify it to 5000
    decimal.

    Do exactly the same for the following key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    +Software
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +ShellNoRoam

    You can make the number larger if you wish, but
    don't go overboard. Windows XP SP2 overcomes
    this problem.

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:08:13 -0500, in
    <>
    Bud Light scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    Bud Light wrote:
    > Yup....got that already set but still have the same issue. Sometimes
    > folders will open full size, other times it'll open 3/4 size which forces

    me
    > to click the maximize button.
    >

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>View / Folder Options / View.
    >>Check: 'Remember each folder's view settings'.
    >>

    >>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:49:13 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> Bud Light scrawled:
    >>

    >>>Is there a setting in Windows where I can open folders at maximum size?

    > It
    >
    >>>seems that for example the recycle bin will open in a small window and

    > then
    >
    >>>after I maximize it the window will open maximized for awhile. Then
    >>>probably something triggers it to open in a small window again.
    >>>

    >>--
    >>Basic computer maintenance
    >>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    Quick check: If you have all other windows closed, window of choice
    opens in full/max. mode. If you have other windows open, window of
    choice opens in smaller mode? Normal :)

    Unfortunately nope. I have no windows open and still my recycle bin for
    example opens in half mode. After I maximize it and shut it down and open
    it again it opens in max mode. But then something happens and it opens it
    half mode again.

    Bud Light, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > You have not mentioned what version of Windows you
    > have, so I'll give you a fix based on Windows XP. The
    > problem is that Windows only remembers 400 folders
    > by default (200 local and 200 network). You can increase
    > this by adding the following to your registry, so open
    > your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) and navigate
    > to the following:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    > +Software
    > +Microsoft
    > +Windows
    > +Shell
    >
    > Highlight the 'Shell' key and right click inside
    > the right hand window. Choose 'New / DWORD'
    > and name it "BagMRU Size" without the quotes.
    > Right click the new entry and modify it to 5000
    > decimal.
    >
    > Do exactly the same for the following key:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    > +Software
    > +Microsoft
    > +Windows
    > +ShellNoRoam
    >
    > You can make the number larger if you wish, but
    > don't go overboard. Windows XP SP2 overcomes
    > this problem.

    I'm using XP pro. I dare not touch my registry keys. :(

    Bud Light, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Bud Light

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:31:16 -0500, in
    <>
    Bud Light scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> You have not mentioned what version of Windows you
    >> have, so I'll give you a fix based on Windows XP. The
    >> problem is that Windows only remembers 400 folders
    >> by default (200 local and 200 network). You can increase
    >> this by adding the following to your registry, so open
    >> your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) and navigate
    >> to the following:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    >> +Software
    >> +Microsoft
    >> +Windows
    >> +Shell
    >>
    >> Highlight the 'Shell' key and right click inside
    >> the right hand window. Choose 'New / DWORD'
    >> and name it "BagMRU Size" without the quotes.
    >> Right click the new entry and modify it to 5000
    >> decimal.
    >>
    >> Do exactly the same for the following key:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    >> +Software
    >> +Microsoft
    >> +Windows
    >> +ShellNoRoam
    >>
    >> You can make the number larger if you wish, but
    >> don't go overboard. Windows XP SP2 overcomes
    >> this problem.

    >I'm using XP pro. I dare not touch my registry keys. :(

    Then either upgrade to SP2 or continue with one extra
    mouse click.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2004
  9. Bud Light

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:31:16 -0500, in
    <>
    Bud Light scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I dare not touch my registry keys. :(

    Adendum: You could always make a restore point
    before altering the registry.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2004
  10. Bud Light

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Bud Light composed the following ...

    > I'm using XP pro. I dare not touch my registry keys. :(

    "How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
    Server 2003"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;322756&spid=1173&sid=182

    How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
    starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;307545&spid=1173&sid=182

    Might help, and as Mike also suggests, making a System Restore Point before
    editing the registry might also help ease your worry a little ..;)

    "How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306084&spid=1173&sid=global

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

    Paul - xxx, Dec 19, 2004
  11. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:31:16 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Bud Light scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >I dare not touch my registry keys. :(

    > Adendum: You could always make a restore point
    > before altering the registry.

    I once did that and my computer never started properly again. And when I
    did get Windows to load I couldn't get back to my restore point.

    Bud Light, Dec 20, 2004
  12. Bud Light

    Bud Light Guest

    Thanks.

    Bud Light, Dec 20, 2004
  13. Bud Light

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:56:28 -0500, in
    <>
    Bud Light scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:31:16 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> Bud Light scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >I dare not touch my registry keys. :(

    >> Adendum: You could always make a restore point
    >> before altering the registry.
    >>

    >I once did that and my computer never started properly again.
    >And when I did get Windows to load I couldn't get back to my
    >restore point.

    Then either you did something wrong, or there is
    already something wrong with your install; the whole
    point of system restore is that it's a safety net.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2004
  14. Bud Light

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:56:28 -0500, "Bud Light" <>
    wrote:

    |> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    |> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:31:16 -0500, in
    |> > <>
    |> > Bud Light scrawled:
    |> >
    |> > <snip>

    |> > Adendum: You could always make a restore point
    |> > before altering the registry.
    |> >

    |> I once did that and my computer never started properly again. And when I
    |> did get Windows to load I couldn't get back to my restore point.

    That's why you don't use restore points for reg edits. You export the key your
    going to edit, if any problems occur your just double click on the export'd key
    and have it reinstall itself.

    --

    , Dec 20, 2004
  15. Bud Light

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:56:28 -0500, "Bud Light"
    <>
    | wrote:
    |

    ||> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    ||> I once did that and my computer never started properly again. And when
    ||> did get Windows to load I couldn't get back to my restore point.
    ||>

    | That's why you don't use restore points for reg edits. You export the key
    your
    | going to edit, if any problems occur your just double click on the
    export'd key
    | and have it reinstall itself.

    Yup! And it's much quicker than setting a restore point too.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 20, 2004
  16. Bud Light

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:52:42 -0800, in
    <Xnqxd.26829$>
    Toolman Tim scrawled:

    ><> wrote in message
    >| On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:56:28 -0500, "Bud Light"
    ><>

    >| That's why you don't use restore points for reg edits. You export the key
    >your
    >| going to edit, if any problems occur your just double click on the
    >export'd key
    >| and have it reinstall itself.
    >|
    >Yup! And it's much quicker than setting a restore point too.

    Not to somebody who "dare not touch my registry keys".

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2004
  17. Bud Light

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:52:42 -0800, in
    | <Xnqxd.26829$>
    | Toolman Tim scrawled:
    |

    | ><> wrote in message
    | >| On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:56:28 -0500, "Bud Light"
    | ><>
    | >| wrote:
    | >|

    | >|
    | >| That's why you don't use restore points for reg edits. You export the
    key
    | >your
    | >| going to edit, if any problems occur your just double click on the
    | >export'd key
    | >| and have it reinstall itself.
    | >|
    | >Yup! And it's much quicker than setting a restore point too.
    |
    | Not to somebody who "dare not touch my registry keys".

    Quite true <g>!

    My slow old laptop takes over a minute to set a restore point. Dropping a
    ..reg branch on the desktop for backup is quicker for me, and since I'm not
    gonna do something stupid (I might *say* some dumb thing now and again <g>)
    I don't worry too much about messing up the registry.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 20, 2004