    accessing the shared folders.

    Please help.

    Vasu
    Vasu, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Vasu

    Malke Guest

    Vasu wrote:

    > I have 2 Systems (1 Desktop - wired from wireless router) and a
    > laptop, both running on XP PRO.
    >
    > I have shared certain directories on the desktop and I am able to
    > access it from the laptop as both are on the same workgroup.
    >
    > Since, the wireless router is not configured for WEP, I have a doubt
    > that
    > anybody could access my files on the desktop. How do I set a password
    > to the shared directory, which would enable the system to ask for
    > password when accessing the shared folders.

    Sharing files/folders in a lan really doesn't have anything directly to
    do with wireless or WEP. The wireless encryption is meant to keep
    outsiders from accessing your wireless connection and from there, your
    lan. You should have encryption set on your wireless. Here are some
    links to help you with that:

    As for access to any files/folders you have shared, this is done by
    group/user. XP does not use passwords to protect resources. It uses
    permissions instead. Here is information to help you with that:

    How to disable Simple Sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
    Windows XP (Pro only)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
    folders in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    Passwording of folders is not supported unless you zip them. When you do
    (right click a folder, then "send to > compressed folder") and then open
    the zip file, you will find an option under file>"add a password".
    Otherwise, use third-party software. Google "password protect folders".

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com