    the brush-off.

    Cheers & thanks,
    Brendan.

    Brendan Green, Jun 28, 2005

  2. "Brendan Green" <> wrote in:

    > Hi All,
    > I'm running Windows XP x64 quite nicely on my system. The motherboard
    > is an MSI K8N SLI Platinum edition.
    >
    > The only problem I am having is with the onboard soundcard (Creative
    > Live 24-bit).
    >
    > It does support all the way up to 8 channel sound, but I can't find a
    > way to set it.
    > The issue seems to be that the supplied software for the board (DigiCell
    > or something like that) won't run correctly on XP x64, and there are no
    > BIOS settings or anything that can be set.
    >
    > As such, I'm stuck with only 2 channel sound, and I really want to set
    > it to 6 channel.
    >
    > Anyone know of a work-around? I contacted MSI, and they basically gave
    > me the brush-off.

    Sorry, I can't answer your question except to ask if you've contacted
    Creative? They may have released a later driver that might get things
    working.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Yeah, I've downloaded the 64-bit driver - but there wasn't an option to
    change the number of channels used.

    But yes, I will contact them and see if they have anything.

    Thanks for the reply.
    Cheers.

    Brendan Green, Jun 28, 2005
  4. "Brendan Green" <> wrote in:

    > Yeah, I've downloaded the 64-bit driver - but there wasn't an option to
    > change the number of channels used.
    >
    > But yes, I will contact them and see if they have anything.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help but that all I can think of. I haven't that
    sound card and.... I'm a guy who almost always runs my computer with the
    sound disabled.

    I hope if Creative isn't helpful that someone else here can offer more
    assistance.

    Good luck!

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Brendan Green

    James Park Guest

    I dunno if this is what you need, but:
    Control Panel
    Sounds and Audio Devices
    Speaker settings - Advanced...
    Speaker setup: 5.1 surround sound speakers (or whatever you have)

    James Park, Jun 28, 2005
  6. "Brendan Green" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I'm running Windows XP x64 quite nicely on my system. The motherboard is
    > an MSI K8N SLI Platinum edition.
    >
    > The only problem I am having is with the onboard soundcard (Creative Live
    > 24-bit).
    >
    > It does support all the way up to 8 channel sound, but I can't find a way
    > to set it.
    > The issue seems to be that the supplied software for the board (DigiCell
    > or something like that) won't run correctly on XP x64, and there are no
    > BIOS settings or anything that can be set.
    >
    > As such, I'm stuck with only 2 channel sound, and I really want to set it
    > to 6 channel.
    >
    > Anyone know of a work-around? I contacted MSI, and they basically gave me
    > the brush-off.
    >
    > Cheers & thanks,
    > Brendan.

    You may be able to set up the speakers from the "Sounds and Audio Devices"
    applet in the control panel. Look under Speaker Settings/Advanced at the
    bottom of the Volume tab.

    I have a different motherboard but I show fourteen speaker set-up choices
    from "No Speakers" to "7.1 Wide Configuration".

    Steve Midgley

    Steve Midgley, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Yeah, I've done that. It seems that there is some sort of "switch" that is
    required to tell the card to output in 6 channels.

    Thanks anyway.
    Cheers.

    Brendan Green, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Yeah, I've done that. It seems that there is some sort of "switch" that is
    required to tell the card to output in 6 channels.

    To plug the card into the speakers (can;t remember the model, but its a
    creative inspire something or other, that has a box with volume control and
    the like, and the speakers plug into the box).

    The optical output is plugged in, as are the cables for rear, center and
    sub-woofer. However, some of the outputs of the card are not sending out
    anything at all (hence why I think there is some type of "switch").

    Thanks anyway.
    Cheers.

    Brendan Green, Jun 28, 2005
  9. "Brendan Green" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah, I've done that. It seems that there is some sort of "switch" that
    > is required to tell the card to output in 6 channels.
    >
    > To plug the card into the speakers (can;t remember the model, but its a
    > creative inspire something or other, that has a box with volume control
    > and the like, and the speakers plug into the box).
    >
    > The optical output is plugged in, as are the cables for rear, center and
    > sub-woofer. However, some of the outputs of the card are not sending out
    > anything at all (hence why I think there is some type of "switch").
    >
    > Thanks anyway.
    > Cheers.

    Try opening the volume control on the task bar. Make sure that "Advanced
    Controls" is checked under options. Click advanced at the bottom of Master
    Volume. Do you have a couple of boxes under "Other Controls" that will route
    sound out through the Line In and Microphone?

    Steve Midgley

    Steve Midgley, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Will check that out tonight when I get the chance.

    I'm pretty sure I checked out the "Advanced Cntrols", but nothing jumped out
    at me.

    Thanks.
    Brendan.

    Brendan Green, Jun 28, 2005
  11. Brendan:
    You'll need this additional download "Creative Basic Audio Suite for
    Creative Sound Blaster audio devices" from Creative Web site.
    You'll find there all the tools needed to activate your "magic" switch.
    I've done it so and it works.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 1, 2005
  12. Would you mind explaining where in that software the "switch" is?

    I downloaded and installed the software last night, but the center speaking
    is still not working (the front-left/right and rear-left/right are at the
    moment)...

    Thanks,
    Brendan.

    Brendan Green, Jul 1, 2005
  13. Brendan:
    There is no actual "switch" in the program.
    I presume you must have set the speaker configuration to 5.1 (or 7.1) and
    are running the test included in the Creative Program.
    I think that the problem now lies in the actual front speaker connection.
    Front speaker (and subwoofer) plug must be connected to a socket labeled "3".
    This output is also used as SPDIF.
    If you have chosen to use this output as SPDIF, then you'll have no center
    channel output there.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 1, 2005