setting my camera's color right,,,,how?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bruin70@mail.com, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    i got my camera. it's an fz30. i did a lot of sample checking on the
    web. i noticed almost all advanced point and shoot in my price range
    tended to be warm on the redder side. the only one that wasn't, and the
    one stated by a website to have the most accurate manual WB was the
    konica minolta. it was certainly cooler than all the others.

    i want to get the color on my fz a little more accurate, but how to do
    this. i have nothing to go by. even i am aware that i paint under
    different lights than how my paintings will be seen in the galleries or
    homes. i can do some tweaks in the camera, but that's also depending on
    the light setup in my studio. in any case, all manual WB's are
    different with each camera. so i figured the best way would be to tweak
    my image editor so that i could run all fz30 images through the editor
    to "reset" the color....and the best sample to rest my color to was the
    minolta sample, seeing as how it's supposed to be the most accurate.

    i have to go on the assumption that the different brands are consistant
    within their own canera model. so i shall download both the KM and
    panasonic sample manual wb's, alter the panasonic WB until it matches
    the KM's, and save the settings . then in the future i'll run all my
    images through through my editor, and whalla!

    does this sound like a good simpe plan without going overboard with
    additional costs?

    , Aug 15, 2006

  2. bmoag Guest

    No.
    What you are searching for is generally called color management.
    Even if you could set the white balance of your camera or shoot in raw
    (where white balance can be adjusted later) you still do not know if your
    monitor is displaying colors correctly or if you can print reliably or
    transmit image files knowing that they are properly color balanced.
    To manage color reliably you need to invest in a monitor calibration device,
    an imaging program that uses color management and, more importantly, invest
    the time and effort to learn how to use them properly. I do not know if you
    are interested in printing--most printer drivers have color managed options,
    although some (Epson) are superior to others.
    Even if you do everything right and have your images printed elsewhere the
    colors in your prints can be off if you and your printing service are not
    technically meshing. Alot of printing services, to be kind, stink, and you
    will get more reliable and probably superior results printing your own.
    Reasonable calibration devices can be had for $100 and color managed
    programs (Elements, PaintshopPro) are similarly priced.
    As long as your camera creates reasonably high quality jpeg images where the
    color balance is not too off then color corrections are not difficult to
    achieve. If you are taking pictures of paintings under controlled lighting
    conditions take a picture of a white or, preferably, neutral gray object
    under the same lighting conditions and you will have an excellent reference
    point for color calibration. You can get a genuine gray calibration card for
    a reasonable cost.

    bmoag, Aug 15, 2006

  3. Guest

    bmoag wrote:
    > No.

    ,,,,if you could set the white balance of,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you need to
    invest in a monitor calibration device,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,superior results printing your own.
    > Reasonable calibration devices can be had for $100 and color managed
    > programs (Elements, PaintshopPro) are similarly priced.
    > As long as your camera creates reasonably high quality jpeg images where the
    > color balance is not too off then color corrections are not difficult to
    > achieve. If you are taking pictures of paintings under controlled lighting
    > conditions take a picture of a white or, preferably, neutral gray object
    > under the same lighting conditions and you will have an excellent reference
    > point for color calibration. You can get a genuine gray calibration card for
    > a reasonable cost.

    whether my monitor is properly calibrated or not,,,since i am viewing
    both a minolta jpg and a lumix jpg on the SAME monitor, and tweaking
    one jpg based on another off that same monitor, would it matter? the
    images are taken from imagingresource.com, and their sample photos are
    tightly controlled.

    , Aug 15, 2006
  4. Isaiah Beard Guest

    wrote:
    > i got my camera. it's an fz30. i did a lot of sample checking on the
    > web. i noticed almost all advanced point and shoot in my price range
    > tended to be warm on the redder side. the only one that wasn't, and the
    > one stated by a website to have the most accurate manual WB was the
    > konica minolta. it was certainly cooler than all the others.
    >
    > i want to get the color on my fz a little more accurate, but how to do
    > this. i have nothing to go by.

    The FZ-30 has a white balance setting that you can use to manually
    calibrate the camera. It's not a cure-all, but its a good start and
    helps with the "warm" problems. When I had an fz30, mine was actually a
    tad too "cool" for my taste. White balance fixed it.

    Unfortunately, I forget how setting the white balance is done, but it
    should be in your manual. You'll need a pure white surface (i.e. a
    wall, a white balance target, or maybe a clean white sheet of paper) on
    which to calibrate.

    If this still doesn't solve your problem, then some post prcoessing may
    need to be in order. When I absolutely, positively must get the color
    right, I use one of these:

    http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/home/p...ts_cc-overview/products_mini-colorchecker.htm

    (or http://tinyurl.com/j2vzt if your newsreader truncated the above)

    Placing this card in a "test shot" with the subject, then making
    subsequent shots of the same subject immediately thereafter without the
    card, allows to make sure I can accurately reproduce the color in a
    photo session. As long as the shooting environment and lighting
    conditions the same from the test shot to the actual shots, I can be
    certain that anything I do to the test shot to color correct can be
    applied to production images to get accurate color representation.

    > i have to go on the assumption that the different brands are consistant
    > within their own canera model.

    In theory, yes, but productions runs between different batches of CCDs
    can somettimes differ slightly, perhaps causing slight changes in color
    calibration. Never assume that the calibrations you do for one FZ-30
    apply to all of them ever made.

    CCDs are also sensitive to environment and *probably* also change
    characteristics as they age. I would also suspect how CCDs are used can
    affect their performance; a camera whose sensor has found itself pointed
    directly at the sun a few times would, I imagine, be a bit more off
    color balance than one who has spent its life indoors in a protected
    environment.

    > so i shall download both the KM and
    > panasonic sample manual wb's, alter the panasonic WB until it matches
    > the KM's, and save the settings . then in the future i'll run all my
    > images through through my editor, and whalla!

    > does this sound like a good simpe plan without going overboard with
    > additional costs?

    For your purposes, this might work. again, you might find some
    variations in performance, but for the most part, it should be about right.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Aug 15, 2006