    System: OEM PIII
    OS: W2K SP4
    OpenSSH Version: 3.0.2
    Truth Monopoly, May 24, 2004

  2. "Truth Monopoly" <> wrote in message
    news:uNesc.104657$iF6.9643414@attbi_s02...
    > I would like to assign special home directories for individual users and
    > cannot find any documentation that explains how to do this. Basically,

    I'm
    > not wanting remote users to be dropped into the OpenSSH software
    > installation directory. I can set permisions to read only but it would

    seem
    > so much more sensible to drop them into their own personal directory.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > System: OEM PIII
    > OS: W2K SP4
    > OpenSSH Version: 3.0.2

    Okay, I figured this one out. The second to last field in the \etc\passwd
    file contains the designator for the home directory. You need to remember
    to use Windoze directory convention, versus Unix, which means root starts at
    "\" not "/". I kept trying to reach a subdirectory using the unix root
    convention which does not work.

    Now what I would like to know is how to assign a unique startup script for
    each user. This is something that I've not found documented anywhere.
    Truth Monopoly, May 26, 2004

  3. Truth Monopoly wrote:
    > I would like to assign special home directories for individual users
    > and cannot find any documentation that explains how to do this.
    > Basically, I'm not wanting remote users to be dropped into the
    > OpenSSH software installation directory. I can set permisions to
    > read only but it would seem so much more sensible to drop them into
    > their own personal directory.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You're stuck with some of that, there's no good way around it.

    You *can* create chroot cages to keep them aware from the rest of the
    system, such as the the ones at sourceforge.net. Or, if all you want is file
    transfer and not SSH login sessions, you can set up WebDAV with SSL running
    on Apache, which I highly recommend as a lighter weight and more integrated
    solution for Windows users (who can then sort-of-mount the directory for cut
    and paste file transfers in their "Network Neighborhood"), or Mac and UNIX
    users (who can use the DAVexplorer graphical client) or the Linux users (who
    can use Konqueror, which supports this directly).

    I keep harping on this one because it works. SSH is very cool, but the
    remote login capability it is built for is not appropriate if all you need
    is the ability to do file transfers safely.
    Nico Kadel-Garcia, May 26, 2004
  4. Truth Monopoly

    brccabral

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Now it is possible

    I've just configurated in version 3.8

    cd c:\openssh\bin
    mkpasswd -l -u myuser1 -p /cygdrive\C\Home\Path >> ..\etc\passwd
    mkpasswd -l -u myotheruser2 -p /cygdrive\C\Other\Home\Path >> ..\etc\passwd

    But inside both directories (C:\Home\Path and C:\Other\Home\Path) it has to have the user folder:
    C:\Home\Path\myuser1
    and
    C:\Other\Home\Path\myotheruser2

    So,
    when myuser1 logs in, he will be inside C:\Home\Path\myuser1
    and
    when myotheruser2 logs in, he will be inside C:\Other\Home\Path\myotheruser2
    brccabral, Nov 17, 2010