    program.

    Thanks.
    Derek.

    Derek, Aug 28, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    (Derek) wrote:

    > Recently I was asked if I could provide my local football club with
    > action shots from games for their match-day program. I am not a
    > professional photographer by any stretch of the imagination and seek
    > advice from those more experienced group users.
    > I have recently purchased a Canon D60 which I use with a Sigma
    > 70-300mm lens. For daytime games the standard sports setting is great.
    > However for night-games the sports setting doesn't produce good enough
    > pics.
    >
    > I would appreciate any advice on settings for night action shots so
    > that I can get good enough pics from night games to put into the
    > program.

    Maximum ISO (1000), aperture priority mode, widest aperture. Also, with
    the D60, don't try to use the AI focus mode at night, instead set it to
    one-shot focus or manual focus and prefocus to where the action will be.
    If that's not good enough you need a faster lens, better lighting, or a
    camera with better high-ISO behavior.

    David Eppstein, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Derek

    Kenny Guest

    "Derek" <> wrote in message
    > Recently I was asked if I could provide my local football club with
    > action shots from games for their match-day program. I am not a
    > professional photographer by any stretch of the imagination and seek
    > advice from those more experienced group users.
    > I have recently purchased a Canon D60 which I use with a Sigma
    > 70-300mm lens. For daytime games the standard sports setting is great.
    > However for night-games the sports setting doesn't produce good enough
    > pics.

    You will have to get yourself away from the P&S settings and start
    learning how to use the camera as it should be. You have 2 issues - a
    lens that at its widest is F4 but you are most likely to be shooting it
    at F5.6 and the need for a high ISO.

    It will be the lens that will really let you down as you really need
    something like F2.8 throughout the range (Sigma 70-200 does this). I
    would try to borrow or hire one for a game to see how it works out. The
    70-300 is at the low end of Sigma lenses for sharpness/speed and isn't
    up to this type of work.

    You will need to shoot at ISO 800. You can clean up any noise afterwards
    with software like NeatImage. AF will probably be useless or too
    inaccurate at such low light, so practice your manual focussing
    techniques.

    Do some trials, it is the only way to learn the limits of your gear and
    yourself.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 29, 2003