Setting a personal VoIP network

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi:

    I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
    connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have
    a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief
    research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as
    below:

    phone-->PC-->gateway-->internet-->gateway-->PC-->phone
    <==== Canada ====> <===== India =====>

    To install the system, I may need following components in both
    locations:

    1) Each PC (Windows XP) at both locations should have:
    a) Network card connected to internet services;
    b) Gatekeeper and Call Processing software been installed and
    running;
    c) Phone line from wall is connected to the RJ11 port (line);
    d) Phone is connected to the RJ11 port (phone);
    2) Each Gateway (either PCI card or modem like box) connected to the
    PC at one side and other to the internet (either through modem or
    home
    network router).

    Now, I have questions and need your suggestions:

    1) What Gatekeeper and Call Processing software should I use ? (I
    prefer open source and free).
    2) Where can I buy a good "Gateway" (PCI card or modem like box) ?
    3) Do I need any management software installed in the PC (for
    configuration) ?

    , Feb 21, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
    > connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have
    > a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief
    > research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as
    > below:

    If you have ADSL connections at each end, then you can buy all that you
    need embedded into an ADSL modem. (that way, you can also make and
    receive calls with the computers switched off).

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 21, 2007

  3. Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:10:44 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
    >> connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have
    >> a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief
    >> research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as
    >> below:
    >>

    >If you have ADSL connections at each end, then you can buy all that you
    >need embedded into an ADSL modem. (that way, you can also make and
    >receive calls with the computers switched off).

    If all you want to do is to connect 2 points with voip then you don't
    need the shed load of equipment you listed - nothing like it.
    All you need is an ATA (analogue Telephone Adapter) or an ATA/router
    if you haven't got a router, at each end. You don't need a computer
    in the link at all except for the initial setting up of the ATA.
    Popular ATAs are made by Linksys/Sipura, the SPA-3102 being an ATA
    with a single LAN output. The Fritzbox Fon (several variations) is
    also one to look at.
    If you want something more sophisticated then you should look at
    running an old computer and running the free Trixbox software on it (
    a development of Asterisk.) see www.trixbox.org

    It is possible to link 2 locations together without the services of a
    voip service provider but it is easier to use one and most are free.

    I you could be clearer about just what you what to do then it will be
    possible to be more specific about recommendations.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 21, 2007
  4. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > If you want something more sophisticated then you should
    > look at running an old computer and running the free
    > Trixbox software on it ( a development of Asterisk.) see
    > www.trixbox.org
    >
    > It is possible to link 2 locations together without the
    > services of a voip service provider but it is easier to
    > use one and most are free.

    I am told that Trixbox isn't the most reliable version of Asterisk for
    this sort of application. I am involved with a group of telephone
    collectors (www.ckts.info) and we have an extensive private network up and
    running in the US, UK and even New Zealand, using mostly Fedora 4 which
    has apparently been proven to be the most reliable to use.

    I'm not an Asterisk expert so please don't ask me any more..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 21, 2007
  5. RH Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
    > connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have
    > a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief
    > research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as
    > below:

    You may find it slighly more difficult to get a working connection on the
    indian side,
    not all countries government are so open to VOIP and India is quite
    restricted. Most restrictions
    are legal issues stopping non indian comapnies offering services, but like
    other countries it may be
    highly likely that the VOIP ports used are blocked or subject to packet
    shaping to stop voip services
    like even Skype being usable

    RH, Feb 21, 2007
  6. Henry Hooray Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
    > connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have
    > a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief
    > research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as
    > below:
    >
    > phone-->PC-->gateway-->internet-->gateway-->PC-->phone
    > <==== Canada ====> <===== India =====>
    >
    > To install the system, I may need following components in both
    > locations:
    >
    > 1) Each PC (Windows XP) at both locations should have:
    > a) Network card connected to internet services;
    > b) Gatekeeper and Call Processing software been installed and
    > running;
    > c) Phone line from wall is connected to the RJ11 port (line);
    > d) Phone is connected to the RJ11 port (phone);
    > 2) Each Gateway (either PCI card or modem like box) connected to the
    > PC at one side and other to the internet (either through modem or
    > home
    > network router).
    >
    > Now, I have questions and need your suggestions:
    >
    > 1) What Gatekeeper and Call Processing software should I use ? (I
    > prefer open source and free).
    > 2) Where can I buy a good "Gateway" (PCI card or modem like box) ?
    > 3) Do I need any management software installed in the PC (for
    > configuration) ?

    Set up a PBX from somebody like Voipfone - that should do the trick, I
    think.

    Henry Hooray, Feb 22, 2007
  7. Hongtian Guest

    If you have MS-Windows based computers, I suggest you can try
    miniSipServer and X-lite to setup your own VOIP network. But before
    that, you shall confirm that VOIP is permitted in your country.

    Hongtian, Feb 24, 2007
  8. In article <>,
    writes:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
    > connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have

    I have done the same across 5 family members, spread across 2 countries.

    I'm using Solaris x86 to run the SIP server (it comes with ser, an
    open source SIP server). I also run an STUN server on it, so those
    family members with NAT'ed IP connections can interconnect with the
    rest of us. An STUN server needs to run on a server with two real
    routable IP addresses, so one of the homes has a routed /29 subnet,
    which isn't available from all internet providers. The SIP server can
    share one of these routable IP addresses (actually, I have it on both).
    You can probably use a public STUN server somewhere, and of course
    there are commercial SIP servers around, but then you are getting
    away from running a "dedicated personal VoIP network" which you
    wanted to.

    For the phones, I use ATAs, Sipura SPA3000's. I decided that if it was
    going to work across the whole family, it had to work without leaving
    PC's switched on in each household (only the single SIP/STUN server
    is left on), and it had to work using the already installed phones,
    not some additional separate phone. The SPA3000's all register on
    the SIP server, and those with NAT'ed internet connections are
    configured to use the STUN server too.

    It's all been running for 18 months now, without any problems.

    As someone else said, I don't know what specific problems you might
    have doing VoIP in India. In some markets, the Voice service is
    protected by the State and/or monopoly providers.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Feb 25, 2007
  9. Hongtian wrote:

    > If you have MS-Windows based computers, I suggest you can try
    > miniSipServer and X-lite to setup your own VOIP network. But before
    > that, you shall confirm that VOIP is permitted in your country.

    What about setting up a Virtual Private Network between the two PCs (or more
    generally between the private LANs at the two addresses). This is a
    Networking matter rather than VoIP, but it is relevant as it then makes the
    end to end VoIP almost trivial.

    If you are using a private network (which in effect you are over a VPN) you
    don't need to worry (from a technical viewpoint) about anything in the
    middle. If the VPN works at all, it should work for all traffic as the
    traffic is encrypted and not viewable by entities in the middle. This also
    enhances the privacy of the call.

    There may be legal aspects (DYOR; I am Not a Lawyer) but technically I can't
    see why a private VoIP network would ever NOT be protected by VPNs.

    Robert Phoenix, Mar 9, 2007