Setting a different IP address for each wireless access point

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dennis, Nov 25, 2009.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    I'd like my wireless card to automatically use certain IP addresses
    when I connect to certain access points. Is there any way to do this?

    ie:

    When connecting to AP "linksys39" it should automatically use
    192.168.0.1
    When connecting to AP "dlink984" it should automatically use
    192.168.1.100

    etc

    Is there anyway to set this up? I'm tired of manually changing my ip/
    gateway/dns settings.

    (I'm on Windows 7)

    TIA

    Dennis, Nov 25, 2009

  2. Dennis

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:49:04 -0800 (PST), Dennis wrote:

    >I'd like my wireless card to automatically use certain IP addresses
    >when I connect to certain access points. Is there any way to do this?
    >
    >ie:
    >
    >When connecting to AP "linksys39" it should automatically use
    >192.168.0.1
    >When connecting to AP "dlink984" it should automatically use
    >192.168.1.100

    And these are reserved IP address in each AP DHCP server block fixed to
    the card NIC address?

    >etc
    >
    >Is there anyway to set this up? I'm tired of manually changing my ip/
    >gateway/dns settings.

    Think about why you are doing this and then stop doing it :)

    >(I'm on Windows 7)

    Ah finally, and almost a footnote.

    You can't have 2 LACs named as above with the addresses statically set?
    All you then need to enable/disable each LAC with a command line script
    to toggle this for you as you move.

    Or this utility
    http://www.netswitcher.com/

    >TIA

    Me

    why?, Nov 25, 2009

  3. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    > Think about why you are doing this and then stop doing it :)

    Hmm..... Thanks for the input, but maybe you are the one who needs to
    think about it more. DHCP is not an option for me. Each access point
    (wireless router) that I connect to requires that I use specific IP
    address.

    The netswitcher.com link you've provided sounds interesting, but I'm
    looking for a free solution, and it doesn't specifically mention
    wireless - which is the point.

    The script idea you posted has much more potential. I will do some
    googling and see if I can change my IP/Gateway/DNS from the command
    prompt... something easily done in linux, but I've never tried it in
    Windows... does ipconfig provide this ability? Hmm

    If anyone else has suggestions they are welcomed... thanks!

    Dennis, Nov 25, 2009
  4. Dennis

    John Holmes Guest

    Dennis "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >> Think about why you are doing this and then stop doing it :)

    > Hmm..... Thanks for the input, but maybe you are the one who needs to
    > think about it more. DHCP is not an option for me. Each access point
    > (wireless router) that I connect to requires that I use specific IP
    > address.
    >
    > The netswitcher.com link you've provided sounds interesting, but I'm
    > looking for a free solution, and it doesn't specifically mention
    > wireless - which is the point.
    >
    > The script idea you posted has much more potential. I will do some
    > googling and see if I can change my IP/Gateway/DNS from the command
    > prompt... something easily done in linux, but I've never tried it in
    > Windows... does ipconfig provide this ability? Hmm
    >
    > If anyone else has suggestions they are welcomed... thanks!

    netsh in Windows does what you want.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Nov 25, 2009
  5. Dennis <> wrote in news::

    >> Think about why you are doing this and then stop doing it :)

    > Hmm..... Thanks for the input, but maybe you are the one who needs to
    > think about it more. DHCP is not an option for me. Each access point
    > (wireless router) that I connect to requires that I use specific IP
    > address.

    .... in which case DHCP is the perfect and most desirable option.
    Since you have to have a specific address, the DHCP server admin
    should have no problem setting you up. You just need a router/DHCP
    server that supports a "Static DHCP" or "Fixed-address DHCP" or
    "DHCP Reservation" (nom-du-jour) feature.

    See this feature at:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol>

    > The netswitcher.com link you've provided sounds interesting, but I'm
    > looking for a free solution, and it doesn't specifically mention
    > wireless - which is the point.
    >
    > The script idea you posted has much more potential. I will do some
    > googling and see if I can change my IP/Gateway/DNS from the command
    > prompt... something easily done in linux, but I've never tried it in
    > Windows... does ipconfig provide this ability? Hmm

    Yes, there is a Windows command that supports this feature (at least
    on Windows XP). It's called "netsh". The command would look
    something like (command should fit on one line):

    netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Nov 25, 2009
  6. Dennis

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:43:27 -0800 (PST), Dennis wrote:

    >> Think about why you are doing this and then stop doing it :)

    >Hmm..... Thanks for the input, but maybe you are the one who needs to
    >think about it more. DHCP is not an option for me. Each access point

    So you decided to forget to mention something. Your problem.
    That's whay I said the IP fixed to the MAC at the AP. Basically M-DHCP.

    >(wireless router) that I connect to requires that I use specific IP
    >address.
    >
    >The netswitcher.com link you've provided sounds interesting, but I'm
    >looking for a free solution, and it doesn't specifically mention
    >wireless - which is the point.

    So another condition.....

    >The script idea you posted has much more potential. I will do some
    >googling and see if I can change my IP/Gateway/DNS from the command
    >prompt... something easily done in linux, but I've never tried it in

    It's much the same.

    why?, Nov 26, 2009
  7. Dennis

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:43:27 -0800 (PST), Dennis wrote:

    >> Think about why you are doing this and then stop doing it :)

    >Hmm..... Thanks for the input, but maybe you are the one who needs to
    >think about it more. DHCP is not an option for me. Each access point
    >(wireless router) that I connect to requires that I use specific IP
    >address.
    >
    >The netswitcher.com link you've provided sounds interesting, but I'm
    >looking for a free solution, and it doesn't specifically mention

    http://www.netswitcher.com/

    >wireless - which is the point.

    Oh really? The point was to point you at network configuration manager.

    On above URL,

    Information about new capabilities is now available online. Click
    "here" for the latest information.

    Clicking the link for more information ->

    http://www.netswitcher.com/WirelessProfileManager.htm
    Wireless (802.11 a/b/g) Profile Manager Information

    This module allow you to configure, test, save, and restore 802.11
    wireless network settings for your card or cards. Once the
    configuration has been tested, verified, and saved, it can be used in
    NetSwitcher as a part of the normal profile for a location where you
    work. As you build a database of locations where you use wireless
    services, you will finally be able to immediately get to work rather
    then "fiddling" with 802.11 wireless settings.

    >The script idea you posted has much more potential. I will do some

    #
    Microsoft Windows XP - Using Netsh
    Netsh is a command-line scripting utility that allows you to, either
    locally or remotely, display or modify the network configuration of a
    computer that is ...
    www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/.../netsh.mspx - Cached -
    Similar
    #
    Microsoft Windows XP - Netsh commands for Interface IP
    You can use commands in the Netsh Interface IP context to configure the
    TCP/IP protocol (including addresses, default gateways, DNS servers, ...
    www.microsoft.com/resources/.../xp/.../netsh_int_ip.mspx - Cached -
    Similar
    #
    How to Use the Netsh.exe Tool and Command-Line Switches
    Netsh.exe is a tool an administrator can use to configure and monitor
    Windows-based computers at a command prompt. With the Netsh.exe tool,
    you can direct ...
    support.microsoft.com/kb/242468 - Similar
    #
    Configure TCP/IP from the Command Prompt
    Netsh.exe is a command-line scripting utility that allows you to, either
    locally or remotely, ... With Netsh.exe you can easily view your TCP/IP
    settings. ...
    www.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip_from_cmd.htm - Cached - Similar

    <snip>

    Me