    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.dunedinwireless.co.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    gibmeat Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > weren't they going to be switching to some new system... last december?
    >
    > According to their technical news, they're still going to be "launching
    > soon"

    do they have/are they working on a 64bit version for XP-64 ES....?
    gibmeat, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > weren't they going to be switching to some new system... last
    > december?
    >
    > According to their technical news, they're still going to be
    > "launching soon"
    >
    > I wonder if they mean launching soon like the skycar, or launching
    > soon like Longhorn? :)

    It's called BOINC and is a client for distributed computing that is capable
    of doing almost any sort of crunching. It's not just for SETI, although it's
    being developed by the team (The 'B' in BIONC is for Berkley). It will, on
    final release, be capable of handling work units from any project you choose
    that has ported units to the client. It will, on final release, also give
    you the option of, for instance, dedicating 60% of your spare CPU cycles to
    cancer research and the other 40% to some other 'charity' of your choice. I
    also hear wishpers that it will be possible to sell computer time using the
    new client, however that could just be gossip.

    As you can imagine, developing such a client is fairly complex. Especially
    when you consider that it will be cross-platform. I have been a part-time
    beta-tester of the software for a while and they are working on it. It was
    very buggy to start with but is getting better by the week.

    I have even started a nz.comp BOINC group already, although I'm the only
    member:

    http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/team_display.php?teamid=532

    Just thought I'd get in early, it's been set up for a few months and I was
    going to announce it after/during the official change-over.

    More information can be found by clicking the link at the bottom of that
    page.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    gibmeat wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> weren't they going to be switching to some new system... last
    >> december?
    >>
    >> According to their technical news, they're still going to be
    >> "launching soon"

    > do they have/are they working on a 64bit version for XP-64 ES....?

    I think the answer to that question is yes.

    Could be wrong, feel free to search the site starting from the link I gave
    above. They have forums somewhere as well, you should be able to find them.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > weren't they going to be switching to some new system... last december?
    >
    > According to their technical news, they're still going to be "launching
    > soon"
    >
    > I wonder if they mean launching soon like the skycar, or launching soon
    > like Longhorn? :)

    They've had some technical issues.....I guess. :)
    steve, Jun 3, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >weren't they going to be switching to some new system... last december?

    The fundamental problem with SETI is that you're only going to find
    intelligences who want to be found. Which means they're going to make
    their signals pretty obvious, not hide them in obscure places.

    Any intelligent civilization is only going to produce signals that can
    inadvertently be picked up during a relatively brief part of its
    existence. Here on Earth we're drawing to the end of the phase during
    which all our TV and radio stations are broadcasting easily detectable
    (and easily decodable) analog signals into space for intelligences to
    pick up dozens of light-years away. Now we're moving to more efficient
    digital encodings for our electromagnetic signals, and those encodings
    are getting more and more efficient. And the trouble with a perfectly
    efficient digital encoding is that it's theoretically indistinguishable
    from background noise--unless you know what you're looking for.

    SETI doesn't know what it's looking for. It's looking for obvious
    patterns, and I don't think it's going to find any.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 5, 2004