SETI: "nz.comp" BOINC Team top in NZ and 146th in world

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Jul 22, 2004

  2. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: "nz.comp" BOINC Team top in NZ and 146th in world

    steve wrote:
    > The "nz.comp" BOINC team is the top team from NZ and 146th in the
    > world....

    http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/top_teams.php?sort_by=expavg_credit&offset=1
    40

    Down to 153rd now. At one stage we were at P 100.

    If I could get some damn work units we'd be doing better. Apparently it's
    all fixed at Berkeley now, the servers are just trying to catch up. I hope
    they do soon, I have two machines without work-units.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 22, 2004

  3. steve

    SNOman Guest

    SNOman, Jul 22, 2004
  4. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> The "nz.comp" BOINC team is the top team from NZ and 146th in the
    >> world....

    http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/top_teams.php?sort_by=expavg_credit&offset=1
    40

    > Just re joined with my 1820 units

    Good man.

    We have our first international member, a guy who has looked in here on
    occasion and who I know from other computer groups. His name is Thomas and
    he's from The Netherlands and he contacted me via email and asked if he
    could join. He has just changed over to BOINC today but is having trouble
    getting WU's. I still have the group listed as a New Zealand group though.

    So any readers of this group from overseas, you don't have to be from NZ to
    join our little team, just go ahead and join.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 22, 2004
  5. steve

    SNOman Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > SNOman wrote:
    >
    >>steve wrote:
    >>

    >>>The "nz.comp" BOINC team is the top team from NZ and 146th in the
    >>>world....
    >>>

    > http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/top_teams.php?sort_by=expavg_credit&offset=1
    > 40
    >
    >>Just re joined with my 1820 units

    > Good man.
    >
    > We have our first international member, a guy who has looked in here on
    > occasion and who I know from other computer groups. His name is Thomas and
    > he's from The Netherlands and he contacted me via email and asked if he
    > could join. He has just changed over to BOINC today but is having trouble
    > getting WU's. I still have the group listed as a New Zealand group though.
    >
    > So any readers of this group from overseas, you don't have to be from NZ to
    > join our little team, just go ahead and join.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    What's with BOINC? do you have to switch over or can you just keep using
    the old seti commandline exe?

    SNOman, Jul 22, 2004
  6. SNOman wrote:
    > What's with BOINC? do you have to switch over or can you just keep using
    > the old seti commandline exe?

    Boinc is a new distrobution system, and also it can be used with other
    clients.
    I notice that cmd line seti .exe file is just a newer version.(3.08 here)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 22, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Boinc is a new distrobution system, and also it can be used with other
    > projects.
    > I notice that cmd line seti .exe file is just a newer version.(3.08 here)

    re-read the above please.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 22, 2004
  8. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> SNOman wrote:

    http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/top_teams.php?sort_by=expavg_credit&offset=1
    >> 40
    >>
    >>> Just re joined with my 1820 units

    >> Good man.
    >>
    >> We have our first international member, a guy who has looked in here
    >> on occasion and who I know from other computer groups. His name is
    >> Thomas and he's from The Netherlands and he contacted me via email
    >> and asked if he could join. He has just changed over to BOINC today
    >> but is having trouble getting WU's. I still have the group listed as
    >> a New Zealand group though.
    >>
    >> So any readers of this group from overseas, you don't have to be
    >> from NZ to join our little team, just go ahead and join.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > What's with BOINC? do you have to switch over or can you just keep
    > using the old seti commandline exe?

    For now both are running side-by-side. However, once all the wrinkles are
    ironed out of BOINC, Seti Classic will be shut down.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 22, 2004
  9. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > SNOman wrote:
    >> What's with BOINC? do you have to switch over or can you just keep
    >> using the old seti commandline exe?

    > Boinc is a new distrobution system, and also it can be used with other
    > clients.
    > I notice that cmd line seti .exe file is just a newer version.(3.08
    > here)

    It appears to just be a newer version but in fact it's a whole new
    exectuable. They aren't interchangable and differ greatly in file size. The
    only similarity is the name.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 22, 2004
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    SNOman wrote:

    > What's with BOINC? do you have to switch over or can you just keep using
    > the old seti commandline exe?

    You need the boinc client...which then sub-contracts work to the seti
    executable....or some other project offered through boinc. But you need to
    create the BOINC account and then use the BOINC client.

    BOINC is meant to be project-independent.....and I think there is at least
    one other project using the BOINC infrastructure now and Berkeley hope for
    many more.

    steve, Jul 22, 2004
  11. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:05:33 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > If I could get some damn work units we'd be doing better. Apparently it's
    > all fixed at Berkeley now, the servers are just trying to catch up. I hope
    > they do soon, I have two machines without work-units.

    I'm about to extend the number of days of workunits sitting in my cache up
    to 5-7 days - just as soon as I can get access to my account details - the
    setti-boinc project is "shut down" presently, and that includes access to
    one's own a/c details. :eek:(

    OTOH, I am about to bring another box into seti crunching. I will give it
    a similarly large cache.

    I have also just compiled and installed a native 64bit boinc client for my
    AMD64 box. However, I still cannot get the seti client from the CVS tree
    to compile under mdk10_64. Every now and again I pull from the tree again
    and try again.

    Divine

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

    Divine, Jul 23, 2004