set white balance with a grey card?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ross, May 12, 2011.

  1. David Ross

    David Ross Guest

    Hi all

    Although I am a beginner, I think I have a basic understanding about the
    need to have white balance set to suit the prevailing light when taking
    pics with my 60D.

    However, i bought a pretty helpful book on the Canon 60D that included a
    grey card to use to set white balance ???

    Yep, a GREY card to set WHITE balance!!!

    Obviously this must be right, but the book doesn't explain how setting
    the grey balance is the same as setting the white balance, and I have
    not (so far) read anything about setting the grey balance in anything I
    have read.

    So I am mystified - can anyone explain this?

    Thanks in advance

    David
    David Ross, May 12, 2011

  2. David Ross

    AnthonyL Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2011 12:36:03 +1000, David Ross <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >Although I am a beginner, I think I have a basic understanding about the
    >need to have white balance set to suit the prevailing light when taking
    >pics with my 60D.
    >
    >However, i bought a pretty helpful book on the Canon 60D that included a
    >grey card to use to set white balance ???
    >
    >Yep, a GREY card to set WHITE balance!!!
    >
    >Obviously this must be right, but the book doesn't explain how setting
    >the grey balance is the same as setting the white balance, and I have
    >not (so far) read anything about setting the grey balance in anything I
    >have read.
    >
    >So I am mystified - can anyone explain this?
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    Yep, in simple terms the camera needs to be told that what it saw was
    something that reflected Red Green and Blue in equal proportions. It
    doesn't specifically matter what the colour of that object is though
    logically it is going to be something grey or off-white. Some whites
    will reflect blues more strongly causing the white balance to be off.

    --
    AnthonyL
    AnthonyL, May 12, 2011

  3. AnthonyL <> wrote:

    > Some whites
    > will reflect blues more strongly causing the white balance to be off.

    Often a problem with white paper. Worst are those whiteners
    (often in cheap paper) that take UV light and return it as blue.
    Due to the way our eyes work, bluer is often seen as white(r)
    because a neutral white will be yellowish in comparison.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 17, 2011