    We have sp2 for XP. We've tried to install wpa rollup patch but are told the
    files on the computer are newer.

    Please help, thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?TGl6Vw==?=, Jun 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGl6Vw==?=

    Clark Guest

    You might look at this that marc just found. I may be totally wrong, but we
    appear to be in a transition period depending on what update certain devices
    have.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485

    Look under the Network Authentication where it may say OPEN. On my device,
    the WEP selection is in a different box. I am certainly no expert at this,
    but you may be able to set up a profile for this connection ahead of time.
    You may need to update your Wireless card to be able to use it, check the
    manufacturer to see.

    Do you have the information, like the SSID already?

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 21, 2005

  3. Hi there

    We have the SSID, but our only choices are Open or Shared in the box.

    I think we have the capability of WPA because the wireless wizard offers a
    checkbox for WPA but we aren't at the court yet so we can't seem to set it
    up.

    We would love to set up a profile.

    Any ideas?

    We

    =?Utf-8?B?TGl6Vw==?=, Jun 22, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TGl6Vw==?=

    Clark Guest

    Which wireless card do you have (make and model number)and I need any
    revision numbers? If you know the version of the configuration utility and
    firmware version, please post it. I will go to their website and get an
    users manual to see if I can notice anything.

    As far as WPA goes, it seems you have to be able to set the security prior
    to accessing the network and I do believe you should have those choices
    available if your device is capable.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 22, 2005
  5. Would you believe another law firm with a whole IT staff is calling us, two
    people, to get info on how to configure their laptops for this trial? Anyway,
    we have to set up this by tomorrow.

    We have IBM Thinkpad T40s... the netword adaptor is Intel pro/wireless LAN
    2100 3B Mini PCI Adaptor

    The specs page for this model at IBM is

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-58185

    I don't know how to determine the other info...our wireless is built in and
    not a card.

    THanks so much for helping us!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGl6Vw==?=, Jun 22, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TGl6Vw==?=

    Clark Guest

    You have the same wireless card as I. It is probably being controlled by
    either the Intel ProSet utility or the Windows Wireless Controller (WZC)
    I will go through setting up both types. If you have the settings for the
    WAP I mention, you should be OK, but if you don't, you will probably have to
    update your driver, or firmware, or configuration utiliity. I know
    basically nothing about the WPA settings except they should be there.

    I got my latest Intel PROSet directly from Intel and it is Version 7.1.4.0.
    I have a Dell but did not use their version. IBM should have their latest
    drivers.

    If you are using the Intel PROSet utility, 0pen the ProSet manager and go to
    Networks and Choose Add. Pick a Profile name, like Court and use the SSID
    your have. Set up Infrastructure and then go to step 2.

    Security settings, choose Network Authentication: WPA personal or
    enterprise. I am not that familiar with WPA settings, but you should have
    information or be able to check some reference. Date Encrption is probably
    TPIK or whatever you have been given. 802.1x settings will also be up to
    you since I don't know. Use the configure button to add special conditions.

    Step 3 I don't really see anything, but you probably have that information.

    If you are using the Microsoft WZC (if you can enter choices your are), go
    to your wireless network connection under My Network places, right click and
    choose properties. Right click on the Wireless Networks and select
    properties - then go to Wireless Networks. Go down to Preferred networks
    and Add a new one and enter the information you have. This is about the
    same type setup as the ProSet. If you do find the WPA choices, you might
    need to go to the court and ask someone there the exact settings.

    Anyway, once you get the profiles set up, you should be able to log on when
    you get to the court. You might have someone go over early with one
    computer and check it so you could set the others up the same way.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 22, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGl6Vw==?=

    Clark Guest

    If you need a new driver, you might check here:

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-59438

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 22, 2005
  8. This article may or may be of some help...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05june13.mspx

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jun 22, 2005
  9. Use the wireless wizard in XP SP2 to setup a dummy network with all
    the specifications you need including SSID and WPA. Write the settings
    to a USB Flash drive - then plug the USB Flash drive into the other
    computers and follow the bouncing ball. I've written a couple of
    columns that showcase this technology.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP