    can record on DVD-ROM and that Toshibas cannot. Is this true, if so is
    there any advantage to this ? thanks SD

    , Dec 5, 2009

  2. root Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the prior advice given about DVD recorders. I'll probably
    > change over from a multiple vcr recorder set up to a multiple DVD
    > recorder format. Am I wrong or is the connection set up as follows ( not
    > HD, SD only ) : cable or satelite coaxial cable into cable or satelite
    > boxes, RCA ( red ,white, blue ) cables from cable/satelite box to DVD
    > recorder, RCA cables to TV. On the vcrs I record all channels thru
    > channel 3, is this the way to do it on a DVD recorder ? The vcr tapes
    > have 6 hr. 6 min. recording space at EP speed , is this true for the
    > blank DVD discs ? One last thing : I've read that Panasonic recorders
    > can record on DVD-ROM and that Toshibas cannot. Is this true, if so is
    > there any advantage to this ? thanks SD

    Some of the DVD recorders which do not have a tuner offer a remote
    that can control your cable/satellite box. That would allow you to
    record more than one program on more than one channel.

    Panasonic recorders do record on DVD-ROM. They allow no recording
    time over the max of 4Hrs at LP mode, or 6/8 hours at EP mode.
    The EP mode can be set to be either 6 or 8 hours.

    Some time ago Toshiba made DVD recorders that could write to
    DVD ROM, but I don't know about the most recent.

    root, Dec 6, 2009

  3. GMAN Guest

    In article <hffinj$usq$>, root <> wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >> Thanks for the prior advice given about DVD recorders. I'll probably
    >> change over from a multiple vcr recorder set up to a multiple DVD
    >> recorder format. Am I wrong or is the connection set up as follows ( not
    >> HD, SD only ) : cable or satelite coaxial cable into cable or satelite
    >> boxes, RCA ( red ,white, blue ) cables from cable/satelite box to DVD
    >> recorder, RCA cables to TV. On the vcrs I record all channels thru
    >> channel 3, is this the way to do it on a DVD recorder ? The vcr tapes
    >> have 6 hr. 6 min. recording space at EP speed , is this true for the
    >> blank DVD discs ? One last thing : I've read that Panasonic recorders
    >> can record on DVD-ROM and that Toshibas cannot. Is this true, if so is
    >> there any advantage to this ? thanks SD
    >>

    >Some of the DVD recorders which do not have a tuner offer a remote
    >that can control your cable/satellite box. That would allow you to
    >record more than one program on more than one channel.
    >
    >Panasonic recorders do record on DVD-ROM. They allow no recording
    >time over the max of 4Hrs at LP mode, or 6/8 hours at EP mode.
    >The EP mode can be set to be either 6 or 8 hours.

    No DVD recorders can record on DVD-ROM!!!!!

    >Some time ago Toshiba made DVD recorders that could write to
    >DVD ROM, but I don't know about the most recent.

    ?????????????????????

    GMAN, Dec 6, 2009
  4. kaboom Guest

    On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:23:01 -0500, wrote:

    >Thanks for the prior advice given about DVD recorders. I'll probably
    >change over from a multiple vcr recorder set up to a multiple DVD
    >recorder format. Am I wrong or is the connection set up as follows ( not
    >HD, SD only ) : cable or satelite coaxial cable into cable or satelite
    >boxes, RCA ( red ,white, blue ) cables from cable/satelite box to DVD
    >recorder, RCA cables to TV.

    **You have patriotic cables :) But that set-up looks correct. Mine is:
    Cable to cable box, RCA (red, white and yellow/composite) cables from
    cable box to DVD recorder, from recorder to TV.

    >On the vcrs I record all channels thru
    >channel 3, is this the way to do it on a DVD recorder ?

    **No. You'll need to use the video input button on your TV's remote to
    change to whichever A/V connection you've used on the TV. Right now,
    you use channel 3 for the VCR, you'll have to go to Video 1 or Video 2
    for example. The TV I use has 2 sets of composite connections
    (front/back). Whenever I use the DVD recorder whether to watch, set up
    a program etc., I have to switch to Video 2.

    A big plus to the Panasonic, it has an IR blaster that can change the
    channel on your cable box. It also has Flex Record.

    >The vcr tapes
    >have 6 hr. 6 min. recording space at EP speed , is this true for the
    >blank DVD discs ?

    **Yea, but it will really, really look horrible. You'll have to
    experiment for the ideal setting.

    > One last thing : I've read that Panasonic recorders
    >can record on DVD-ROM and that Toshibas cannot. Is this true, if so is
    >there any advantage to this ? thanks SD

    **You mean DVD-Ram.

    Here are some of the pluses:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-ram.cfm

    Also scroll down for CCRomeo's reply:
    http://club.myce.com/f89/advantages-disadvantages-using-dvd-ram-dvrs-instead-dvd-rw-200525/

    If you need to use rewritables, you probably could get away with using
    RW discs.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Dec 7, 2009
  5. root Guest

    GMAN <> wrote:
    > In article <hffinj$usq$>, root <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the prior advice given about DVD recorders. I'll probably
    >>> change over from a multiple vcr recorder set up to a multiple DVD
    >>> recorder format. Am I wrong or is the connection set up as follows ( not
    >>> HD, SD only ) : cable or satelite coaxial cable into cable or satelite
    >>> boxes, RCA ( red ,white, blue ) cables from cable/satelite box to DVD
    >>> recorder, RCA cables to TV. On the vcrs I record all channels thru
    >>> channel 3, is this the way to do it on a DVD recorder ? The vcr tapes
    >>> have 6 hr. 6 min. recording space at EP speed , is this true for the
    >>> blank DVD discs ? One last thing : I've read that Panasonic recorders
    >>> can record on DVD-ROM and that Toshibas cannot. Is this true, if so is
    >>> there any advantage to this ? thanks SD
    >>>

    >>Some of the DVD recorders which do not have a tuner offer a remote
    >>that can control your cable/satellite box. That would allow you to
    >>record more than one program on more than one channel.
    >>
    >>Panasonic recorders do record on DVD-ROM. They allow no recording
    >>time over the max of 4Hrs at LP mode, or 6/8 hours at EP mode.
    >>The EP mode can be set to be either 6 or 8 hours.
    >>

    > No DVD recorders can record on DVD-ROM!!!!!

    I'm sorry, I meant DVD-RAM.

    root, Dec 7, 2009
  6. S D Guest

    thanks again, I'm completely unfamiliar with all of this. I'm still
    unsure about the formating of DVD-RAM vs rewriteable ( I'll check the
    prices to see if rewriteables are a good choice since I keep about 2/3
    of everything I record ) I'm still uncertain about the finalizing
    procedure. Now If I'm working with six recorders from the same company
    and the same model when do I finalize the disc, say if I've recorded a
    two hour program in the six hour format and I'm going to record other
    programs on the same disc later do I wait until the disc is full then
    finalize it ? How long does finalization take ? When a new disc (
    rewriteable , not rewriteable, DVD - RAM ) is put in the machine is it
    immediately ready to record, one of the responses made me wonder. So the
    DVR recorders are set to the channel ( on cable or satelite ) I need to
    record ( not channel 3 ) ? And the TV ( I use analog TVs ) would be set
    to " Game " to see what is playing ?

    S D, Dec 7, 2009
  7. Guest

    btw I've seen posts that state DVD recorders are being phased out ! any
    truth in this ? SD

    , Dec 8, 2009
  8. kaboom Guest

    On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:11:42 -0500, (S D) wrote:

    >thanks again, I'm completely unfamiliar with all of this. I'm still
    >unsure about the formating of DVD-RAM vs rewriteable ( I'll check the
    >prices to see if rewriteables are a good choice since I keep about 2/3
    >of everything I record )

    **For whatever you plan on keeping, I'd go with with DVD- or +Rs (not
    rewritable). I don't think rewritables have good reputations for
    longevity/stability. If I used rewritables (RAM or -/+ RW), it would
    be to watch the program and then to record over it (like VHS) or to
    transfer the recording to my computer to author it there and burn it
    to a different DVD.

    With rewritables, you have to format the disc initially and then to
    reuse the disc, format it again to delete all of the video on it. If
    I'm reading my Toshiba manual correctly, it seems like +RWs are more
    user friendly.

    My Panasonic will also record to dual-layer DVDs. My Toshiba does not.
    I've never tried using DLs because the price is still rather high on
    them. It will almost double recording time while keeping picture
    quality.

    >I'm still uncertain about the finalizing procedure.

    **Finalizing -/+Rs or finalizing rewritables?

    >Now If I'm working with six recorders from the same company
    >and the same model when do I finalize the disc, say if I've recorded a
    >two hour program in the six hour format and I'm going to record other
    >programs on the same disc later do I wait until the disc is full then
    >finalize it ?

    **On a not rewritable (- or +Rs), you do not finalize it until the
    disc is full. (You could finalize it, but it will permanently close
    the disc to any further program additions. You don't have to
    completely fill the disc to the brim either.) An unfinalized disc also
    means that it will not play on most other DVD players; it will,
    however, play on the machine that recorded it and most likely any
    identical recorder. When it's full or as full as you want it to be,
    you finalize it and then the DVD can be played on any DVD player.

    I believe, but I'm not sure:
    A +RW disc doesn't have to be finalized to be played on other players,
    but a -RW disc does.

    I'm not sure about DVD-Ram.

    Another tidbit: Deleting a program will make space on a rewritable
    disc (- or +RW) disc, it will NOT do so on a not rewritable (- or +R)
    disc as it's permanent.

    >How long does finalization take ?

    **For me, it's never taken longer than a minute or two. I think that
    the more individual titles that you have on a single disc, the longer
    it takes to finalize.

    >When a new disc (rewriteable , not rewriteable, DVD - RAM ) is put in the machine is it
    >immediately ready to record, one of the responses made me wonder.

    **I have no experience in rewritables, but I know that rewritables
    (possibly RAM, also) must be formatted first. Once formatted, they are
    good to go. Not rewritables are set to go from the moment you put them
    in the recorder.

    >So the DVR recorders are set to the channel ( on cable or satelite ) I need to
    >record ( not channel 3 ) ?

    **Leave your TV the way it is (set up for the VCR). Leave your TV on
    3, your VCR on 3 and set the DVD recorder to pull the signal from
    whichever input that you've used on the DVD recorder (the connection
    from the cable box to the recorder). On my Panasonic, it's IN1 and
    IN2. If you use the Panny's IR blaster to control the cable box, I
    don't think you have to do a thing. If, for instance, you hook a VCR
    to the Panny to record from a tape, you have to change the DVD
    recorder to IN1 or IN2.

    For my Toshiba, it's L1 or L2. For the Tosh, during set-up, or at some
    point, you have to change the video input to L1 or L2. There is no IR
    blaster, it will not change the channels on the cable box. It will
    then record off of that connection all the time. It's changeable and
    if you wanted to use the front connections for some reason, you could
    change the video input to that. Same for the Panny.

    >And the TV ( I use analog TVs ) would be set
    >to " Game " to see what is playing ?

    **I think that every TV might use a different name to indicate video
    inputs. For instance, the Sony downstairs uses Video 1, 2, and 3. The
    RCA upstairs uses Video and Front to indicate the video connections in
    the front and back. You would hit the TV/Video or Input button on the
    remote to select the video input that you need to view the DVD
    recorder.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Dec 9, 2009
  9. S D Guest

    Thank you for the extensive answers, VCRs are much easier to use ,
    problem is with the volume of material I use. Speed of operation is
    critical. I now have points of reference.

    S D, Dec 9, 2009