Set up multicasting/ iptv lab

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by smokejo@googlemail.com, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I'll be taking my CCNP routing exam soon (the new BSCI) and would like
    to get a multicasting lab going. I was also thinking that whilst I was
    doing this, it would be a good opportunity to play around with Cisco
    IPTV, as I can get hold of some cheap Cisco Broadcast servers (3411 and
    3423's). I already have about 6 x 2610 routers that were given free
    from work, a couple of 2900XL switches that are probably useless, and a
    3550 EMI switch.

    A couple of questions, if anyone would be so kind as to answer them...

    i) Is the hardware I mention above enough for a multicasting/ BSCI lab?

    ii) As for the IPTV lab, how does IPTV work exactly? According to the
    Cisco document at

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...nistration_guide_chapter09186a0080193b5f.html

    The process is video file>IPTV server> Multicast enabled router> Client
    PC

    Is there anything else that I need? And how does the IPTV server
    connect to the router, is it via a straighforward LAN (i.e thru a
    switch).

    Finally, the IPTV servers run a MS Server implementation apparently. Do
    I need any other software to get this running?

    Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

    Thanks
    , Jan 24, 2007