    on the HP.

    In addition, both computers can successfully connect to the internet through
    the router.

    Just Plain Bill, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Just Plain Bill

    John Guest

    "Just Plain Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How do I set up a workgroup manually?
    >
    > I have an old Compaq, running XP Pro, with a workgroup of MSHOME,
    > connected
    > to a wireless router by a Cat 5 cable, and a newer HP Laptop running XP
    > Media Center, connected wirelessly.
    >
    > I ran the network wizard on both machines and the Compaq set up the
    > workgroup MSHOME but the HP apparently did not set up the workgroup. I
    > have
    > been told not to run the setup wizard multiple times, so I have not re-run
    > it
    > on the HP.

    Start
    Control Panel
    System
    Computer Name
    Change
    Select Workgroup
    Type in whatever name you want
    no spaces or special characters,
    15 characters or less

    John, Jan 13, 2008

  3. "John" wrote:

    > "Just Plain Bill" <> wrote in message
    > > How do I set up a workgroup manually?
    > >
    > > I have an old Compaq, running XP Pro, with a workgroup of MSHOME,
    > > connected
    > > to a wireless router by a Cat 5 cable, and a newer HP Laptop running XP
    > > Media Center, connected wirelessly.
    > >
    > > I ran the network wizard on both machines and the Compaq set up the
    > > workgroup MSHOME but the HP apparently did not set up the workgroup. I
    > > have
    > > been told not to run the setup wizard multiple times, so I have not re-run
    > > it
    > > on the HP.
    > >

    > Start
    > Control Panel
    > System
    > Computer Name
    > Change
    > Select Workgroup
    > Type in whatever name you want
    > no spaces or special characters,
    > 15 characters or less
    >

    > Thank you.

    So, now I have another question.

    I have determined that I am in the workgroup MSHOME, and that both computers
    have that as their workgroup.

    When I go to Windows Explorer and click on the entire network, I get three
    choices. One of which is Microsoft Windows Network. When I click on that I
    get the message "Unable to browse the network. The network is not present or
    not started." For more information click "Help". When I do that, the system
    does not respond.

    Now what?

    Just Plain Bill, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Hi
    Successful Sharing between computer, involves some general consideration in
    Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 14, 2008
  5. "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Successful Sharing between computer, involves some general consideration in
    > Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Just Plain Bill" <> wrote in message
    > > How do I set up a workgroup manually?
    > >
    > > I have an old Compaq, running XP Pro, with a workgroup of MSHOME,
    > > connected
    > > to a wireless router by a Cat 5 cable, and a newer HP Laptop running XP
    > > Media Center, connected wirelessly.
    > >
    > > I ran the network wizard on both machines and the Compaq set up the
    > > workgroup MSHOME but the HP apparently did not set up the workgroup. I
    > > have
    > > been told not to run the setup wizard multiple times, so I have not re-run
    > > it
    > > on the HP.
    > >
    > > In addition, both computers can successfully connect to the internet
    > > through
    > > the router.

    > Thank you for the reply, Jack.

    I read through the various articles, although some of the links were bad.

    As far as I can tell, my workgroup is working well on the Cat 5 cable
    connected compaq. The laptop, which is connected via wireless cannot see the
    Compaq, nor can the Compaq see the HP.

    I think the problem is that the wireless side is not talking to the cable
    connected side. I don't know what to do about that.

    Any suggestions?

    Just Plain Bill, Jan 14, 2008
  6. Just Plain Bill <> wrote:
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Successful Sharing between computer, involves some general
    >> consideration in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it
    >> is allowed to be shared.
    >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    >> Basic XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesharing.mspx
    >> Advanced XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    >> Printer Sharing XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Just Plain Bill" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> How do I set up a workgroup manually?
    >>>
    >>> I have an old Compaq, running XP Pro, with a workgroup of MSHOME,
    >>> connected
    >>> to a wireless router by a Cat 5 cable, and a newer HP Laptop
    >>> running XP Media Center, connected wirelessly.
    >>>
    >>> I ran the network wizard on both machines and the Compaq set up the
    >>> workgroup MSHOME but the HP apparently did not set up the
    >>> workgroup. I have
    >>> been told not to run the setup wizard multiple times, so I have not
    >>> re-run it
    >>> on the HP.
    >>>
    >>> In addition, both computers can successfully connect to the internet
    >>> through
    >>> the router.

    >> Thank you for the reply, Jack.

    > I read through the various articles, although some of the links were
    > bad.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, my workgroup is working well on the Cat 5 cable
    > connected compaq. The laptop, which is connected via wireless cannot
    > see the Compaq, nor can the Compaq see the HP.
    >
    > I think the problem is that the wireless side is not talking to the
    > cable connected side. I don't know what to do about that.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Disable your Windows firewalls on all computers & test. See if you can ping
    by IP address, and then by name.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 23, 2008
  7. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > Just Plain Bill <> wrote:
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> Successful Sharing between computer, involves some general
    > >> consideration in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > >> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it
    > >> is allowed to be shared.
    > >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    > >> Basic XP -
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesharing.mspx
    > >> Advanced XP -
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    > >> Printer Sharing XP -
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    > >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "Just Plain Bill" <> wrote in
    > >> message news:...

    > >> Thank you for the reply, Jack.

    > > I read through the various articles, although some of the links were
    > > bad.
    > >
    > > As far as I can tell, my workgroup is working well on the Cat 5 cable
    > > connected compaq. The laptop, which is connected via wireless cannot
    > > see the Compaq, nor can the Compaq see the HP.
    > >
    > > I think the problem is that the wireless side is not talking to the
    > > cable connected side. I don't know what to do about that.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    > Disable your Windows firewalls on all computers & test. See if you can ping
    > by IP address, and then by name.
    >

    > Well, that was interesting.

    I followed your suggestion.

    I was able to ping from my Desktop to my laptop, however I was not able to
    ping from my laptop to my desktop.

    So, what does that mean?

    Just Plain Bill, Jan 23, 2008
  8. "Just Plain Bill" wrote:

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    > > Just Plain Bill <> wrote:

    > > > I read through the various articles, although some of the links were
    > > > bad.
    > > >
    > > > As far as I can tell, my workgroup is working well on the Cat 5 cable
    > > > connected compaq. The laptop, which is connected via wireless cannot
    > > > see the Compaq, nor can the Compaq see the HP.
    > > >
    > > > I think the problem is that the wireless side is not talking to the
    > > > cable connected side. I don't know what to do about that.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions?

    > > Disable your Windows firewalls on all computers & test. See if you can ping
    > > by IP address, and then by name.
    > >

    > > Well, that was interesting.

    > I followed your suggestion.
    >
    > I was able to ping from my Desktop to my laptop, however I was not able to
    > ping from my laptop to my desktop.
    >
    > So, what does that mean?

    It gets more interesting.

    I can ping, by name, my desktop from my laptop, but I cannot ping my laptop
    from my desktop, which is the opposite from pinging by ip address.

    What now?

    Just Plain Bill, Jan 23, 2008
  9. Just Plain Bill <> wrote:
    > "Just Plain Bill" wrote:

    >>> Disable your Windows firewalls on all computers & test. See if you
    >>> can ping by IP address, and then by name.
    >>>

    >>> Well, that was interesting.

    >> I followed your suggestion.
    >>
    >> I was able to ping from my Desktop to my laptop, however I was not
    >> able to ping from my laptop to my desktop.
    >>
    >> So, what does that mean?

    > It gets more interesting.
    >
    > I can ping, by name, my desktop from my laptop, but I cannot ping my
    > laptop from my desktop, which is the opposite from pinging by ip
    > address.
    >
    > What now?

    This is generally due to misconfigured firewalls. Pinging by IP is the most
    important test where connectivity is concerned.

    I suggest you take a look at some of the tutorials at
    www.practicallynetworked.com ("how to" guides) - and try posting a new
    message w/updated info in microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web, which gets
    a lot of traffic. Your issue isn't a wireless one, and I work mainly with
    domains, so you will probably get more help in there.Best of luck!

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 29, 2008