    replies.
    in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
    it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

    Daniel Prince, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Daniel Prince

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <>,
    Daniel Prince <> wrote:
    >I have recently learned that there are set top (they connect to your TV,
    >not your computer) DVD recorders with hard drives that allow one to
    >record TV programs to the hard drive, edit out the commercials and then
    >burn them to DVD. Is there a web site that compares the different
    >models?

    Some people talk about them on alt.video.dvdr.

    As horrible as web-based discussion boards are, there's also a lot of
    useful info in:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=106

    >Are there any that record to DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD-RAM?

    Someone may be able to come up with a counter-example, but essentially ALL
    of them record in DVD-R.

    The Panasonics (e.g. Panasonic DMR-E85) and Toshibas (e.g. Toshiba RD-XS32,
    new Toshiba RD-XS52) record in DVD-R and DVD-RAM. Most others record
    in DVD-R and DVD-RW (but in the mode that is compatible with regular DVD
    players, DVD-RW is closer in usage pattern to videotape -- you can't watch
    a show, delete it, and record something else there without possibly recording
    over something else).. DVD-RAM behaves just like the hard drive, in editing
    and deleting/re-recording capability.

    Matt Ackeret, Nov 10, 2004