Set folder date to date of newest file in the folder?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jhigbee@nyx.net, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    A few years ago I remember coming across a piece of software
    which would allow a person to change folder dates (in
    Windows 2000 & related) en mass using the following
    criteria:

    To set each folder date (created & modified) to the
    (modified) date of the newest file in each folder.

    However I've done some searching & am unable to find it.

    Do you remember what it was?

    Note that I've tried xxcopy as a means of copying folders.
    For some of the folders it retains the date and for others
    it doesn't. So I've gone back to just using regular windows
    GUI copy and am now searching for that utility I remember
    but can't remember now.

    Sincerely,

    Jonathan

    I L V 2 0 0 5 [at_@] c y b e r s p a c e (._dot-) o r g

    , Aug 16, 2005

  2. Hector Vera Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > A few years ago I remember coming across a piece of software
    > which would allow a person to change folder dates (in
    > Windows 2000 & related) en mass using the following
    > criteria:
    >
    > To set each folder date (created & modified) to the
    > (modified) date of the newest file in each folder.
    >
    > However I've done some searching & am unable to find it.
    >
    > Do you remember what it was?
    >
    > Note that I've tried xxcopy as a means of copying folders.
    > For some of the folders it retains the date and for others
    > it doesn't. So I've gone back to just using regular windows
    > GUI copy and am now searching for that utility I remember
    > but can't remember now.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Jonathan
    >
    > I L V 2 0 0 5 [at_@] c y b e r s p a c e (._dot-) o r g

    Try this
    http://www.downloadjunction.com/product/software/7986/

    Hector Vera, Aug 16, 2005

  3. why? Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:59:53 -0600, wrote:

    >A few years ago I remember coming across a piece of software
    >which would allow a person to change folder dates (in
    >Windows 2000 & related) en mass using the following
    >criteria:

    <snip>

    You are looking for something like a file manager with the facility
    called 'touch', you didn't mention that so it may be a better clue for
    your search.

    I am a bit busy just now to look for you.

    Me

    why?, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:08:31 GMT, "Hector Vera"
    <> wrote:

    <clip>

    >Try this
    >http://www.downloadjunction.com/product/software/7986/

    Thanks for replying. It doesn't appear that Attribute Magic
    does what I need in an automated way.

    I need a program that scans all subfolders in a folder. In
    each subfolder it examines the dates of the files, and sets
    the creation and modified date of each subfolder to the date
    of the newest file in each subfolder.

    I may be able to use Attribute Magic to do it manually, but
    I saw no option to have it to it automatically.

    , Aug 16, 2005
  5. why? Guest

    x-post trimmed again :)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:59:53 -0600, wrote:

    Google more, it's easy.

    >A few years ago I remember coming across a piece of software
    >which would allow a person to change folder dates (in
    >Windows 2000 & related) en mass using the following
    >criteria:
    >
    >To set each folder date (created & modified) to the
    >(modified) date of the newest file in each folder.

    Tried ,

    www.tucows.com
    Windows
    IS/IT
    File Management
    File Attributes

    DateTimeEdit 1.0 , web site dead but available from other places.

    This looks quite close
    http://www.mikasalonen.com/advancedfiletimer/
    Maybe cotact the author, ask for a feature addition to use
    the C&M / Mod / Accessed date of the current selected file.

    http://www.timeacct.com/fpm/index.shtml
    dates (Creation, Last Modified and Last Accessed). It provides the
    ability to change these file properties for entire directory structures
    in one operation.

    http://www.polariscomputing.com/plstamp.htm

    That's about 5 minutes work, mostly reading program features.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Aug 16, 2005