    firewall.

    Tia,

    Dave
    davehigton, Aug 4, 2010

  2. davehigton

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, davehigton
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > The company I work for is looking for a SIP Session Border
    > Controller so we can get some SIP trunks for testing. The
    > one that IT have suggested is the Ingate Sipirator 19. Does
    > anyone have any experience of this?

    No. If it's just for testing [or even if it's not] why not try OpenSBC?

    > I can't imagine ever wanting more than 5 SIP trunks, though
    > each would be from a different provider.

    If you're only establishing connections to 5 fixed points, is an SBC really
    necessary?

    > It's only for test purposes, so the call volume and rate would be tiny.
    > The big concern is security - the SBC has to bridge a corporate
    > firewall.

    Many firewalls have SIP inspection and/or ALGs anyway. Or perhaps that's
    your problem :-S

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:54:31 up 17 days, 8:25, 6 users, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.09
    alexd, Aug 4, 2010

  3. davehigton

    Bodincus Guest

    (04/08/10 18:08), alexd:
    > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, davehigton
    > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
    >
    >> The company I work for is looking for a SIP Session Border
    >> Controller so we can get some SIP trunks for testing. The
    >> one that IT have suggested is the Ingate Sipirator 19. Does
    >> anyone have any experience of this?

    > No. If it's just for testing [or even if it's not] why not try OpenSBC?
    >
    >> I can't imagine ever wanting more than 5 SIP trunks, though
    >> each would be from a different provider.

    > If you're only establishing connections to 5 fixed points, is an SBC really
    > necessary?
    >
    >> It's only for test purposes, so the call volume and rate would be tiny.
    >> The big concern is security - the SBC has to bridge a corporate
    >> firewall.

    > Many firewalls have SIP inspection and/or ALGs anyway. Or perhaps that's
    > your problem :-S

    The problem is he's making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Many korporate ICT admins like to sound important, stuffing some
    buzzwords into their corpspeak lull.
    Laughing stock, don't waste your time.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************
    Bodincus, Aug 4, 2010
  4. davehigton

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <7Xj6o.8954$k31.2007@hurricane>
    Bodincus <> wrote:

    > (04/08/10 18:08), alexd:
    > > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, davehigton
    > > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
    > >
    > > > The company I work for is looking for a SIP Session Border Controller
    > > > so we can get some SIP trunks for testing. The one that IT have
    > > > suggested is the Ingate Sipirator 19. Does anyone have any experience
    > > > of this?

    > > No. If it's just for testing [or even if it's not] why not try OpenSBC?
    > >
    > > > I can't imagine ever wanting more than 5 SIP trunks, though each would
    > > > be from a different provider.

    > > If you're only establishing connections to 5 fixed points, is an SBC
    > > really necessary?
    > >
    > > > It's only for test purposes, so the call volume and rate would be tiny.
    > > > The big concern is security - the SBC has to bridge a corporate
    > > > firewall.

    > > Many firewalls have SIP inspection and/or ALGs anyway. Or perhaps that's
    > > your problem :-S
    > >

    > The problem is he's making a mountain out of a molehill. Many korporate ICT
    > admins like to sound important, stuffing some buzzwords into their
    > corpspeak lull. Laughing stock, don't waste your time.

    Why so dismissive? The company I work for has several hundred
    employees over a substantial number of sites in several countries,
    all on a huge LAN. If /anything/ untoward creeps in (as it has a
    couple of times over the years) it's /very/ expensive. The company
    is understandably very conservative about security. Paranoid, if
    you like. I can entirely understand that POV.

    Do you have any /useful/ suggestions?

    Dave
    Dave Higton, Aug 5, 2010
  5. In article <>,
    Dave Higton <> wrote:
    >In message <7Xj6o.8954$k31.2007@hurricane>
    > Bodincus <> wrote:
    >
    >> (04/08/10 18:08), alexd:
    >> > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, davehigton
    >> > chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    >> > No. If it's just for testing [or even if it's not] why not try OpenSBC?

    >> > If you're only establishing connections to 5 fixed points, is an SBC
    >> > really necessary?

    >> > Many firewalls have SIP inspection and/or ALGs anyway. Or perhaps that's
    >> > your problem :-S
    >> >

    >> The problem is he's making a mountain out of a molehill. Many korporate ICT
    >> admins like to sound important, stuffing some buzzwords into their
    >> corpspeak lull. Laughing stock, don't waste your time.

    >Why so dismissive? The company I work for has several hundred
    >employees over a substantial number of sites in several countries,
    >all on a huge LAN. If /anything/ untoward creeps in (as it has a
    >couple of times over the years) it's /very/ expensive. The company
    >is understandably very conservative about security. Paranoid, if
    >you like. I can entirely understand that POV.
    >
    >Do you have any /useful/ suggestions?

    If you want some SIP trunks for testing, then all you need is a few SIP
    desk phones and an account with an ITSP.

    For your application, if it really is one big LAN (ie. lots of office
    LANs connected together with (V)PNs and one big IP addressing space with
    no NAT, then a single Asterisk server would cope without breaking into
    a sweat. (Obviously, ultimately, you'd have 2 running in Linux-HA mode,
    but to all intents and purposes, it's one box) You'll need to enable QoS
    of some sort on each of the WAN/VPN links to ensure voice and signalling
    quality.

    Your issue is multiple offices/countries - and presumably, each office
    has it's own PSTN connections, and you may need to use them - initially at
    least, so put an Asterisk box in each office, connect it to the PSTN via
    the appropriate interface (POTS, ISDN, etc.) and use VoIP internally to
    route calls. You can also use VoIP to route calls to different countries
    - so if in the UK, and calling a French number, then you route the call
    internally via VoIP and then out of your French office's PBX - although
    it might actually be cheaper to place the call via an external ITSP in
    the UK...

    (Hot-failover for PSTN connections is sometimes problematic, but there
    are hardware devices to help here, but it's not always needed)

    It's an intersting project, but really not something out of the
    ordinary, nor something I'd consider using expensive and proprietary
    hardware/software for.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 9, 2010