    that I have wiped the drive and started fresh with just x64, I am lost.

    Help!

    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obmV0ZWM=?=, Aug 1, 2006

  2. If you shut the machine down, come back in a half hour, and start back up,
    is it OK? Or are there still problems.

    I'm suspecting a hardware problem, probably heat related. The first place to
    look is overall system cooling and memory. I'd start by disabling any
    overclocking you might have enabled, and running a thermal diagnostic tool
    (most mobo mfgs ship one with their mobo these days on the driver/utility
    disk). Also, a good, thorough, memory test. For more on possible testers
    and solutions, see my blog:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/09/01/64999.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Charlie,

    I will check on the temp. I had thought everything was within limits. This
    was the firxt 64 bit and x64 system I had built. Can you tell what the
    acceptable heat limits are for the CPU? Maybe I did not read that right.

    THX for you response.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obmV0ZWM=?=, Aug 1, 2006
  4. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    I'm not sure what temperature a CPU is considered overheated, but I never
    like to see mine above the mid 40's. And the behaviour of my server since I
    put it in a new case with better cooling is definitely more stable. The CPU
    there never goes over the upper 30's.

    (I'm sure someone will jump in here and say they're running in the 50's with
    no problems. As always, YMMV.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2006
  5. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    I am quite sure that the temp. is 45 degrees for a specific room temperature
    and airvolume that I cannot remember. These are the test parameters and may
    not be directly transferable to an average room in an average appartment.
    This test room is probably bigger, which means your CPU should probably run
    colder.

    I've had typical figures of 49 degrees and rising to 54 when working
    harder - one game, with one card pushed it to 70 degrees which was when the
    system turned itself off. And this is probably the real critical figure, but
    then it is critical.

    Going somewhat above the safe temperature is probably not immediately
    dangerous for the equipment in any way, but it will shorten the CPU's life +
    it runs faster when colder, so we are quite naturally interested in the
    environmental status?

    Of course, for the tech people the critical point is when the system as a
    whole [may] stop being stable, the event window is probably quite wide but
    the bottom line is that when hot - anything may happen.

    Personally, I start thinking about this if the air that escapes through the
    vents seems hotter than my breath, then I check both front and back to be
    sure, and make investigations on what can be done about it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 1, 2006
  6. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Thanks for the specific details. I'm with you on what I want to see for
    actual temp in the real world. The only exception for me is laptops, where I
    expect the heat coming out to be a bit more.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obmV0ZWM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Charlie's numbers are probably very conservative, but very acievable. I
    almost never get above the mid 30's cpu and the chipset may reach 39, and
    that is with the cooling fan not working as I haven't had time to replace it
    for the third time. I do have a side fan which blows on the cpu, chipset
    and memory.

    John Barnes, Aug 1, 2006
  8. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Quite true, Charlie. But that doesn't mean that we should expect the CPU
    temp to be significantly higher, it runs in a smaller space and if it is
    well designed the hotter exhaust wouldn't have to mean a hotter CPU. A big
    fat Desktop has a volume of 35 - 40 liter of air in constant motion, whereas
    the laptop blows out a concentrated jet of hot air.

    I can't say that I've checked the temperature on my laptop regularly, but
    right at the beginning I was interested and the figures where pretty normal
    as I remember. What I have noticed - is that it seemed slightly hotter when
    on batteries. Meaning, perhaps, that the ventilation is more reliable when
    socketed. Might be worth checking when moving around on a hot day?

    Mine stays at home almost all the time.

    Tony. . .

    > Thanks for the specific details. I'm with you on what I want to see for
    > actual temp in the real world. The only exception for me is laptops, where

    > expect the heat coming out to be a bit more.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > Tony Sperling wrote:
    > > I am quite sure that the temp. is 45 degrees for a specific room
    > > temperature and airvolume that I cannot remember. These are the test
    > > parameters and may not be directly transferable to an average room in an
    > > average appartment. This test room is probably bigger, which means your
    > > CPU should probably run colder.
    > >
    > > I've had typical figures of 49 degrees and rising to 54 when working
    > > harder - one game, with one card pushed it to 70 degrees which was when
    > > the system turned itself off. And this is probably the real critical
    > > figure, but then it is critical.
    > >
    > > Going somewhat above the safe temperature is probably not immediately
    > > dangerous for the equipment in any way, but it will shorten the CPU's
    > > life + it runs faster when colder, so we are quite naturally interested
    > > in the environmental status?
    > >
    > > Of course, for the tech people the critical point is when the system as

    > > whole [may] stop being stable, the event window is probably quite wide

    but
    > > the bottom line is that when hot - anything may happen.
    > >
    > > Personally, I start thinking about this if the air that escapes through
    > > the vents seems hotter than my breath, then I check both front and back
    > > to be sure, and make investigations on what can be done about it.
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Aug 1, 2006
  9. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Try running a Core Duo in a MacBook Pro. Temps in the range of 180 F.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 1, 2006
  10. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Logaritm head math is not my strenght, but 100F's is 38C's and 200 isn't 76,
    but that has to be over 60C's?

    You need a fluid helium cooler!

    Tony. . .

    > Try running a Core Duo in a MacBook Pro. Temps in the range of 180 F.
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Quite true, Charlie. But that doesn't mean that we should expect the CPU
    > > temp to be significantly higher, it runs in a smaller space and if it is
    > > well designed the hotter exhaust wouldn't have to mean a hotter CPU. A

    big
    > > fat Desktop has a volume of 35 - 40 liter of air in constant motion,
    > > whereas
    > > the laptop blows out a concentrated jet of hot air.
    > >
    > > I can't say that I've checked the temperature on my laptop regularly,

    but
    > > right at the beginning I was interested and the figures where pretty
    > > normal
    > > as I remember. What I have noticed - is that it seemed slightly hotter
    > > when
    > > on batteries. Meaning, perhaps, that the ventilation is more reliable

    when
    > > socketed. Might be worth checking when moving around on a hot day?
    > >
    > > Mine stays at home almost all the time.
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Aug 1, 2006
  11. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    82 degrees C. Now that is hot.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2006
  12. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Yeah, my mobo was running in the upper 50's, and the CPU peaked out over 60
    before I changed to a good case. Now it makes less noise and both run in the
    mid to lower 30's. That has GOT to be better!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2006
  13. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Apple's tart (nice pun, huh?) replies have been that Intel puts the top of
    the operating range at 100C and that their disclaimers already warn against
    using it as a laptop ("may cause discomfort or even burns").

    Apple insists that the MBP is not a laptop, it is a "notebook" computer. As
    it turns out, Apple has determined that thermal paste "may have been
    misapplied" during manufacturing.

    My own MBP gets pretty warm but not anything like some of the descriptions I
    have read. It is a pretty nifty lap...er...notebook.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 1, 2006
  14. Re: Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc..

    Charlie, Tony, Colin,

    Thank you all. I feel I need to supply you with more info. This is an Intel
    830 Dual core on an Intel 945 Mobo. It is in an Antec case designed for a
    server with well beyond normal cooling. I have built many systems but this is
    my first 64 on 64 with dual core effort. I thought that the core temps for
    the dual chips was much highter than a normal chip. Anyway, the problem did
    not go away after allowing the PC to cool down, even over night. I just
    removed system mechanic (designed for x64) and let XP reinstall under the
    repair function. So far, everything is working fine. I have to wait and see
    if the problem returns. I appreciate all of your help. I will post another
    message if the problem returns.

    Johnetec

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obmV0ZWM=?=, Aug 2, 2006