Service Provider choices

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Ron, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Hello,

    I have been using a Voice over IP 'box' through my cable/internet
    provider for many months now. (Time Warner Roadrunner "digital
    phone")

    I would like to try and save some $ by going with a different
    "system". This being our second line and is used primarily (but not
    exclusively) for outgoing calls. ( 150 minutes per month to US &
    Canada) So monthly charges are a top consideration. Would anyone
    know the names of service providers that would meet our needs? Is
    there a list of residential service providers that is on the Web
    someplace?

    I am in Maine and apparently Time Warner has the only point of
    presence here in this state. Is there any way to get around this
    problem? I was considering getting an inbound 800 number (I'd like to
    avoid a long distance area code if possible). Would I still be able
    to save some $ by doing this?

    Is it reasonable to think one might contact his own state's Public
    Utilities Commision and in some way get a block/single telephone
    number(s)?

    Ron

    ps. Are there any other similar Newsgroups to get answers to these
    types of questions?
    Ron, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Ron

    blitz Guest

    Paul Layman wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I use http://www.vonage.com . Unlimited local and long distance
    >in the USA and Canada for $39.99 a month. Taxes are less than $2.
    >You can get an 800 number for $5 a month more and you can get
    >multiple local numbers (not lines!) for $5 a month so that parents
    >or college students can make local calls to call home.
    >If you are interested, I (as well as any other vonage user) can
    >get you your second month free.

    Packet8 is starting to look pretty good- half the cost of Vonage's
    unlimited residential plan. I've been with Vonage for 16 months now,
    and it's been fine, but $20/mo is worth considering. I'm waiting for
    number portability in November.

    blitz, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Ron

    Paul Layman Guest

    When I switched vonage had better features (for example 911 service)
    and the voice quality seemed a little better. Still a big savings over
    Bell South and MCI. Try them both out and send back the loser.

    Paul

    Paul Layman, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Ron

    Plato Guest

    Be a little wary of Vonage, they are coming under regulatory fire in
    many areas (most notably Minnesota) for being a phone company while
    not following any of the rules that phone companies are supposed to
    follow (e.g. tarrifs, taxes, 911 fees, etc.)

    It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

    Plato

    Plato, Aug 21, 2003