    site, Cisco manual, ...

    thanks,

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 10, 2005

  2. Steve Richter

    Guest

    www.cisco.com

    The manuals are generally structured as general operating system
    manuals and not for a specific model.

    Do a show version
    Cisco IOS Software, C837 Software (C837-K9O3Y6-M), Version 12.3(8)T3

    The version is 12.3(8)T3

    12.3 Main version
    (8) This release. Bug fixes, and in T train new Features too.
    T Technology train (extra features, may be less robust)
    3 Three screw ups [blank], 1, 2 have been superceeded.

    See IOS Roadmap. The Cisco search is OK now.

    You may need to refer to the 12.3 Mainline docs and the 12.3 T docs
    too.

    There is a Command Reference and a Configuration guide.

    Start with the Configuration Guides, the command references are not too
    often needed these days.

    It is a bit of a nightmare since there are so many features but
    once you get going it is usually pretty good unless you are
    doing complex stuff.

    12.3 Mainline document pages
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

    12.3 T command reference.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/prod_command_reference_list.html

    The 12.3(8)T release notes will have any changes for (8).

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/tsd_products_support_series_home.html
    May help you to find the Confguration guides.

    , May 10, 2005

  3. thanks for the help.

    I must say, programming web sites is cake compared to attempting to
    work with a router! I called cisco and they say they want $200 before
    they will talk to me.

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 10, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    Steve Richter <> wrote:
    :I must say, programming web sites is cake compared to attempting to
    :work with a router! I called cisco and they say they want $200 before
    :they will talk to me.

    CON-SNT-CISCO831K -- 8 x 5 x next business day support for
    a Cisco 831 router... about $US75. Includes phone support, electronic
    case support, access to the cisco documents, access to download new
    releases.

    Note: if it's a used router then unless you took special care when
    you bought it, you would have to go through some hoops and extra
    cost to get it registered. The software license isn't normally transferable.
    Also, if your current software version is not the current major
    release, you only gain entitlement to load further updates within
    the same major release.

    Walter Roberson, May 10, 2005