service-policy output on a 3560 doesn't work, any workarounds ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by hm klette, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. hm klette

    hm klette Guest

    We got some Cisco catalyst 3560 that we want to control the bandwidth
    on the ports. Can this be done, and how do i do it?

    Ive got 3550s that can do policy-map with the interface command;
    service-policy output(and input) <policyname>
    But 3560 only seems to handle service-policy input.
    If i try to configure output, it says the following:
    "
    SW(config-if)#service-policy output 4mbit-out
    police command is not supported for this interface
    Configuration failed!
    Warning: Assigning a policy map to the output side of an interface not
    supported
    "

    Any workarounds or new ways to accomplish bandwith-control on a 3560 ?

    regards,

    hmk
    hm klette, Oct 20, 2005

  2. hm klette

    ESM Guest

    I ran into this yesterday. I am marking some specific traffic with my own
    DSCP markings and wanted to apply it out the output of f0/1, but I could
    not. Instead, I had to apply the policy to the input on every other port
    where a computer was connected that was transmitting this traffic. It works
    fine, but it's a little silly. Good thing for the range command.

    However, I don't think this would be adequate if trying to police traffic.
    I want to do this on a few 3560's as well but have not been able to come up
    with a proper way to do it yet.

    ESM, Oct 21, 2005

  3. hm klette

    hm klette Guest

    hm klette skrev:
    > We got some Cisco catalyst 3560 that we want to control the bandwidth
    > on the ports. Can this be done, and how do i do it?
    >
    > Ive got 3550s that can do policy-map with the interface command;
    > service-policy output(and input) <policyname>
    > But 3560 only seems to handle service-policy input.
    > If i try to configure output, it says the following:
    > "
    > SW(config-if)#service-policy output 4mbit-out
    > police command is not supported for this interface
    > Configuration failed!
    > Warning: Assigning a policy map to the output side of an interface not
    > supported
    > "
    >
    > Any workarounds or new ways to accomplish bandwith-control on a 3560 ?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > hmk

    To all others who wonders
    srr-queue is the solution here... :)