Service Packs and x64 Platform

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Andre Da Costa, May 9, 2005.

  1. Andre Da Costa, May 9, 2005

  2. "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I notice that Windows XP Professional x64 ships with Service Pack 1, the
    >same for Server 2003 x64. Does this mean that x64 editions are on their own
    >time slots for Service Packs, meaning 32 bit Windows will always be 1
    >service pack ahead of 64 bit Windows?

    Windows XP x64 has been build from the same code base as Windows Server 2003
    SP1, so Windows XP x64 will get its own service packs, if necessary. As
    Windows Server 2003 SP1 and XP x64 share the same code base it is most
    likely that new service packs for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x64
    will be released simultaneously.

    Windows XP x64 contains all the new security features that have been
    introduced with Windows XP (32bit) SP2. So XP x64 it is not “behind” it just
    has a different numbering scheme for Service Packs compared to XP 32bit.

    Bernhard Dietrich, May 10, 2005

  3. Thanks Bernhard
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 10, 2005
  4. as Bernard so accurately pointed out, x64 and 32-bit are on different code
    bases at this point, and may, at any given point in time, be off on SP number
    by some number between zero and ??.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 10, 2005
  5. "Bernhard Dietrich" <> wrote in message
    > "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    >>I notice that Windows XP Professional x64 ships with Service Pack 1, the
    >>same for Server 2003 x64. Does this mean that x64 editions are on their
    >>own time slots for Service Packs, meaning 32 bit Windows will always be 1
    >>service pack ahead of 64 bit Windows?

    > Windows XP x64 has been build from the same code base as Windows Server
    > 2003 SP1, so Windows XP x64 will get its own service packs, if necessary.
    > As Windows Server 2003 SP1 and XP x64 share the same code base it is most
    > likely that new service packs for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x64
    > will be released simultaneously.

    TRUST ME!!! IT WILL BE NECESSARY!!!!!!

    Draco Paladine, May 10, 2005
  6. Correct, all servicing for x64 editions will come out of the SP1 codetree.

    This means that applicable critical updates to 2003 SP1 code will apply to
    x64 as well and have their own update to install. The first service pack
    for x64 will co-release with SP2 for 2003. Please let me know if you have
    any questions on this information.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 10, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa

    ocbwilg Guest

    "Draco Paladine" <> wrote in message

    > "Bernhard Dietrich" <> wrote in message

    >> Windows XP x64 has been build from the same code base as Windows Server
    >> 2003 SP1, so Windows XP x64 will get its own service packs, if necessary.
    >> As Windows Server 2003 SP1 and XP x64 share the same code base it is most
    >> likely that new service packs for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x64
    >> will be released simultaneously.

    > TRUST ME!!! IT WILL BE NECESSARY!!!!!!

    What he meant wasn't that service packs would be available if they are
    necessary. He was pointing out that because of the different codebases, an
    bug or security hole that is discovered in 32-bit XP may not necessarily
    exist in XP x64, and therefore a service pack or update for the x64 version
    may not be necessary.

    ocbwilg, May 10, 2005