    know what's going on?

    Many thanks.

    Col.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29s?=, Jul 12, 2006

  2. There is no shipping version of XP x64 SP2. It is still in beta, and there
    is no public information about a release date that I'm aware of. Certainly
    not yet.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2006

  3. Windows Pro x64 SP2 IS available for beta testers

    --
    Tom

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Oct 3, 2006
  4. Windows

    Hi,

    SP2 for Windows XP Pro x64 is available in a Beta-test form, which I
    discovered through many hours of hard work after seeing all the confusion in
    these newsgroups about what it is/isn't and whether it's available or not.

    So, here goes:
    1) Windows XP Home/Professional 32-bit were built on the old Windows 2000
    base. Windows Professional x64 was built on the Windows Server 2003 base.
    Therefore, you can't relate the SP level between the two "types" of XP's.

    2) The downloadable Microsoft "trial" of XP Pro x64 already includes Windows
    Server SP1 (don't try to relate this to SP1 for Home/Pro 32-bit).

    3) In June '06 or so, MS released a beta-test only SP2 for Windows Server
    2003, in many different flavors, where one flavor was intended for XP Pro x64.

    4) This month, the Beta version of Windows Professional x64 SP2 was
    "refreshed", probably with many fixes that were needed before testing was
    complete. MS calls this "Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 Beta Refresh 1". There is
    no date announced for general availability that I can find.

    5) You can download and install x64's SP2 by going to connect.microsoft.com
    and following the link on the right side of the page for Windows Server 2003.
    Once you get there, or perhaps the next screen, you'll see "My
    Participation" on the left side of the screen, follow that link. You'll get
    to a Beta agreement to be read and signed by you (you'll need an MS Live! (or
    passport) to sign up). There are good reasons for the signed Beta agreement,
    including the face that you should not use this SP2 in any mission-critical
    system.

    6) When you get to the download page, scroll down it until you get to the
    SP2 Refresh 1 for XP Pro x64 and start the download from there.

    I have no installed SP2 on top of the "trial" download of Windows Pro x64
    and it installs and works great (so far). I have one more test machine that
    I will upgrade later this evening.

    Please provide me feedback about what I can add/change/remove in this post.
    Thank you.
    --
    Tom

    --
    Tom

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Oct 3, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q29s?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Re: Windows

    Tom:
    You are right there is a beta SP2 for W2K3, but the only discussions
    about SP2 are to be in the beta newsgroups.

    Dennis Pack, Oct 3, 2006
  6. Re: Windows

    I apologize for posting to the wrong newsgroup. However, I can't find any
    newsgroup for xp64 beta or SP2 beta or even 'beta' in searching down the left
    side of the forum page at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...eral&mid=9774a44f-b2b3-4a2c-ba6b-47629035abba .

    Perhaps you could give me the URL to the beta/sp2/x64 newsgroup so that I
    could follow the action in the correct place?

    Thanks, Tom
    --
    Tom

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Oct 6, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q29s?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Re: Windows

    If you join the SP2 beta on Connect, you get access to
    betanews.microsoft.com where the beta newsgroups are. In Connect you have
    the option to see connection details and set your newsgroup password.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 6, 2006
  8. Re: Windows

    Hi Aaron,

    Thanks. I was able to find the newsgroup you referred to. However, that
    newsgroup, as you stated correctly, is only available to you if you already
    know about SP2. For the people in this newsgroup who don't know about SP2,
    they have no idea how to get there or what SP2 is about, which is what my
    in the place where that you can't locate in order to obtain SP2 is somewhat
    pointless, isn't it.

    Anyway, I read the newsgroup you referred to, the chat section in
    particular, and contrary to what everyone else has said, there is an
    announced availability of SP2 for 2nd-half 2006, to quote: "Hi Phil. The
    officially announced release date for SP2 is the second half of 2006". This
    chat log was made on created on July 12, 2006 and the quote was from
    "KamilBR[MS][Expert]".

    Tom
    --
    Tom

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Oct 6, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q29s?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Re: Windows

    The 2H 2006 release date for SP2 has been known for a long time (since
    before the beta started). It's even on the Microsoft release roadmap.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

    People who don't know about the SP2 beta program probably don't need to mess
    with it. Again, it is unfinished software, and when it's ready for general
    use, it will be released and announced and everything.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 7, 2006