  1. No, XP Professional x64 Edition is based on Windows Server 2003 SP1 which
    was released AFTER XP SP2. All the updates that went into SP2 are already
    there. x64 Edition will continue on the Server schedule for service packs,
    not on the client schedule, given the different code base.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Is there a SP2 for the 64bit version of XP? If there where can I get it?

    Thanks!!

    Frank
    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtzdGVy?=, Dec 11, 2005

  3. Frank;
    No, the appropriate updates are incorporated in the released 64 bit version.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Dec 11, 2005
  4. Welcome to x64 land, Jupiter.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 11, 2005
  5. Oh, Jupiter pokes his nose in here every once in a while. And always a
    welcome addition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 11, 2005
  6. Charlie Russel - MVP

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Frankster" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Is there a SP2 for the 64bit version of XP? If there where can I get it?

    XP.SP2 < 2003.SP1 < XPx64 < Vista

    Cheers, Roman
    roman modic, Dec 11, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 11, 2005
  8. If you implying that Vista is based on the XP Pro x64 codebase, I don't
    think that is the case. XP Pro x64 is an NT5.2 edition. Vista is NT 6.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 11, 2005
  9. Thanks All!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtzdGVy?=, Dec 11, 2005
  10. Wouldn't you say Vista and Longhorn Server are platform of their own now
    Colin? Yes, they are based off the Server 2003 SP1 code base, but that is
    only for a short time and eventually they become their own code base on
    which the development of the next version of Windows begins. So, we know
    that Longhorn Server will be latest code base even after Vista since it
    requires more security hardening and so on.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 11, 2005
  11. I am not so sure they are off the Server 2003 SP1 codebase. Vista/Longhorn
    Server are NT6 and that should mean a new codebase. Vista and Longhorn
    Server were probably progressing in parallel to Server 2003 SP1/XP Pro x64
    (NT 5.2).

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 11, 2005
  12. That would be my expectation. They've been split off for some time, I
    believe.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 12, 2005
  13. I was thinking that too because of the reports that a couple of years ago MS
    dropped trying to work with the XP base and began writing a much more
    modular system.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 12, 2005
  14. Yeah, they have moved it around quite a bit, it was on XP at first, then it
    move Server 2003 then XP SP2, then to Server 2003 SP1.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 12, 2005
  15. > XP.SP2 < 2003.SP1 < XPx64 < Vista

    This is probably best written as:

    XP.SP2 < 2003.SP1 == XPx64 < Vista

    The features and fixes put into Windows XP SP 2 were also put into Windows
    Server 2003 SP1. The Windows XP x64 Edition is actually a special build of
    Windows 2003 SP1's codebase. Windows Vista's core codebase started as more
    or less Windows Server 2003 SP1 (after much merging of earlier work, etc.)
    but has definitely evolved well beyond that.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, Windows Gaming & Graphics

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Dec 13, 2005