    pack 2 after I reformat, it's gonna be a pain.

    Thanks

    -Shawn
    Shawn, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Shawn

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:12:41 GMT, Shawn <> wrote:

    >So I got the final build of Service Pack 2 today. Here's my question:
    >When I reformat my computer sometime down the road, do I need to install
    >all of the Windows updates, including Service Pack 1? Or will I just be
    >able to download Service Pack 2 and that will be it? If I have to
    >reinstall all the windows updates, plus service pack 1, PLUS service
    >pack 2 after I reformat, it's gonna be a pain.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >-Shawn

    Service Pack 2 contains all of the updates that are in SP1(a). So if
    you were to reformat you would just need to apply SP2 and then any
    updates released after SP2
    Morgan Pugh, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Shawn

    Syncro Guest

    "Shawn" <> wrote in message
    > So I got the final build of Service Pack 2 today. Here's my question:
    > When I reformat my computer sometime down the road, do I need to install
    > all of the Windows updates, including Service Pack 1? Or will I just be
    > able to download Service Pack 2 and that will be it? If I have to
    > reinstall all the windows updates, plus service pack 1, PLUS service
    > pack 2 after I reformat, it's gonna be a pain.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > -Shawn

    As Morgan stated is true. However, assuming you are referring to
    xpSP2.exe, this is known (presently) as Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release
    Candidate 2 and is not a final, but, rather an updated beta version.
    It works well with many comps, but problems with others. Back up your
    important data before applying.
    Syncro, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Shawn

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 23:55:31 -0500, "Syncro"
    <> wrote:

    >"Shawn" <> wrote in message
    >> So I got the final build of Service Pack 2 today. Here's my question:
    >> When I reformat my computer sometime down the road, do I need to install
    >> all of the Windows updates, including Service Pack 1? Or will I just be
    >> able to download Service Pack 2 and that will be it? If I have to
    >> reinstall all the windows updates, plus service pack 1, PLUS service
    >> pack 2 after I reformat, it's gonna be a pain.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> -Shawn

    > As Morgan stated is true. However, assuming you are referring to
    >xpSP2.exe, this is known (presently) as Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release
    >Candidate 2 and is not a final, but, rather an updated beta version.
    > It works well with many comps, but problems with others. Back up your
    >important data before applying.

    SP2 went RTM on Friday (6th August) and will be released online next
    week (RTW, Release To Web/World). I assumed that he was referring to
    the final product not the public previews.
    Morgan Pugh, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Shawn

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    "Syncro" <> wrote in message

    > "Shawn" <> wrote in message
    > > So I got the final build of Service Pack 2 today. Here's my question:
    > > When I reformat my computer sometime down the road, do I need to install
    > > all of the Windows updates, including Service Pack 1? Or will I just be
    > > able to download Service Pack 2 and that will be it? If I have to
    > > reinstall all the windows updates, plus service pack 1, PLUS service
    > > pack 2 after I reformat, it's gonna be a pain.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > -Shawn

    > As Morgan stated is true. However, assuming you are referring to
    > xpSP2.exe, this is known (presently) as Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release
    > Candidate 2 and is not a final,

    The final has been on shareaza, bittorrent and supernova.org since Fri.
    It's build 2180 RTM.
    Ron Reaugh, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Shawn

    Bob Guest

    > >The final has been on shareaza, bittorrent and supernova.org since Fri.
    > >It's build 2180 RTM.
    > >

    > I would not encourage downloading from non-Microsoft sources (or at
    > least non-Microsoft certified sources) as you might not get a "clean"
    > copy (e.g. it could have a trojan/virus in it, etc.)

    I have to agree. Where's the value in downloading something from an unknown
    source when it's available from the author's own site, especially when it
    will have such a fundamental effect on your system?
    Bob, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Shawn

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    Morgan Pugh, Aug 18, 2004