Service Pack 2 has disabled/deleted all my network places

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?emlyZW50b24=?=, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. I had established a home wireless network between two WinXP computers, and a
    Win98 machine. One XP machine was running SP2, and the problem computer, was
    upgraded to SP2 yesterday.

    Previously, the two XP machines could communicate through their wireless
    router, and the Win 98 machine by ethernet cable through the router. All
    computers were able to share files.

    Now my network places on the problem machine only shows "My Websites on
    MSN". Conducting a search for the other 2 computers gives nothing and the
    same when searching for this machine from the other two. View workgroup
    computers gives "Mshome is not accesible. etc etc"

    I have a wireless network connection running, and can still connect to the
    internet, just no other station on my network. All other stations are working
    perfectly.

    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless network adapter, but it has
    made no difference. The adaptor is a D-Link DWL-650M Super G MIMO PCMCIA card.

    Everything worked fine until I used Windows Update to install Service Pack
    2. Cannot System Restore to a pre SP2 state. Not sure if its associated, but
    upon startup I get a Device stopped "This application is not supported by
    this OS" message. Not able to determine what device or application.

    Could someone give me a hand or advice on getting access permission or
    regaining network places access to shared drives on the other stations?

    =?Utf-8?B?emlyZW50b24=?=, Feb 11, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?emlyZW50b24=?=

    smackedass Guest

    Become familiar with the Windows XP SP2 Firewall, and see if you can add an
    Exception.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Feb 13, 2006