Service like tinyurl but private link

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sparky, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Hi,

    Usually I do my best to answer questions here, but now I have one of my own
    to ask. Is there a service like tinyurl.com or makeashorterlink.com where
    the original link stays hidden when clicked on? In other words, I don't
    want the link to show up in the address bar of someone's browser when they
    click on it.

    Reason is this: My phone company, Vonage (the main VoIP company) has
    introduced a service where you can create a link which you can send via
    email or build into a webpage. When someone clicks this link, it calls your
    phone, provides caller ID info on who's calling, then calls their phone and
    connects you.

    Problem is, as it stands now the link would contain my user ID and password
    for access to my phone service administration page. I could create a page
    and use PHP to just have a "CALL ME" button, thereby letting the remote
    server make the connection. But it would be great if I could just email
    someone a link which they could click to connect us, but without divulging
    personal info. I'd like for my email equipped nieces and nephew to be able
    to call me with a click, but building a page seems like a pain, and I also
    don't want them to see my login information.

    Any ideas? Thanks!

    Sparky

    Sparky, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Sparky

    °Mike° Guest

    http://www.cjb.net/

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:32:48 GMT, in
    <AcnJb.122159$>
    Sparky scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Sparky

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Sparky said:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Usually I do my best to answer questions here, but now I have one of my own
    > to ask. Is there a service like tinyurl.com or makeashorterlink.com where
    > the original link stays hidden when clicked on? In other words, I don't
    > want the link to show up in the address bar of someone's browser when they
    > click on it.
    >
    > Reason is this: My phone company, Vonage (the main VoIP company) has
    > introduced a service where you can create a link which you can send via
    > email or build into a webpage. When someone clicks this link, it calls your
    > phone, provides caller ID info on who's calling, then calls their phone and
    > connects you.
    >
    > Problem is, as it stands now the link would contain my user ID and password
    > for access to my phone service administration page. I could create a page
    > and use PHP to just have a "CALL ME" button, thereby letting the remote
    > server make the connection. But it would be great if I could just email
    > someone a link which they could click to connect us, but without divulging
    > personal info. I'd like for my email equipped nieces and nephew to be able
    > to call me with a click, but building a page seems like a pain, and I also
    > don't want them to see my login information.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks!
    >
    > Sparky

    Wouldn't it be quicker for them to just press the preset for your number on
    their phone, rather than boot up their pc, navigate to a url, wait for the
    gubbings to load and send the signal?

    Brian H¹©, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Thanks, but it still displays the whole original url.

    Sparky, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Sparky said:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Usually I do my best to answer questions here, but now I have one of
    >> my own to ask. Is there a service like tinyurl.com or
    >> makeashorterlink.com where the original link stays hidden when
    >> clicked on? In other words, I don't want the link to show up in the
    >> address bar of someone's browser when they click on it.
    >>
    >> Reason is this: My phone company, Vonage (the main VoIP company) has
    >> introduced a service where you can create a link which you can send
    >> via email or build into a webpage. When someone clicks this link,
    >> it calls your phone, provides caller ID info on who's calling, then
    >> calls their phone and connects you.
    >>
    >> Problem is, as it stands now the link would contain my user ID and
    >> password for access to my phone service administration page. I
    >> could create a page and use PHP to just have a "CALL ME" button,
    >> thereby letting the remote server make the connection. But it would
    >> be great if I could just email someone a link which they could click
    >> to connect us, but without divulging personal info. I'd like for my
    >> email equipped nieces and nephew to be able to call me with a click,
    >> but building a page seems like a pain, and I also don't want them to
    >> see my login information.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Thanks!
    >>
    >> Sparky

    > Wouldn't it be quicker for them to just press the preset for your
    > number on their phone, rather than boot up their pc, navigate to a
    > url, wait for the gubbings to load and send the signal?

    The point is that by clicking that link, it's a free call for them. Since I
    have unlimited long distance service, it won't cost a thing to either of us.
    Using this method essentially forces MY phone to originate the call.

    Sparky, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Sparky

    °Mike° Guest

    Then what is this page referencing?

    URL Cloaking
    http://www.cjb.net/features.html

    "URL cloaking. URL cloaking keeps your CJB.NET address in the
    address bar of your browser when your web site is accessed
    through its CJB.NET address. People bookmarking your site will
    bookmark your CJB.NET address, and search engines will index
    your site using your CJB.NET address. Keyword and description
    meta tags can also be used with the URL cloaking option."

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:30:26 GMT, in
    <C6CJb.134395$>
    Sparky scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Sorry I was looking at the simple link shortener they offered on the main
    page.

    The redirection service would be extremely cumbersome, since the service I'm
    talking about requires a different url for each phone number which you want
    to offer a link for. The phone number of the recipient is in the link
    itself.

    I'd better shelve the idea until I can get something up on my own page.
    Thanks

    Sparky, Jan 3, 2004
  8. On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:36:34 +0000, Sparky wrote:

    > Sorry I was looking at the simple link shortener they offered on the
    > main page.
    >
    > The redirection service would be extremely cumbersome, since the service
    > I'm talking about requires a different url for each phone number which
    > you want to offer a link for. The phone number of the recipient is in
    > the link itself.

    Take a look at SnipURL. http://snipurl.com. You can even make private
    (password needed) shortlinks. And you make up your own short Urls, rather
    than having them randomly and meaninglessly assigned. If you register
    (free, not invasive), you can even manipulate your shortlinks, and see how
    many hits they've had. It's a cool service.

    --
    Blinky

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 3, 2004